News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

_caleb

Maybe it warrants people stating what their expectations and standards are for the ride. I'm curious what yours are.
I don’t think I go by number of AAs. I think there can be well-balanced scenes with few AAs if the sets and other effects are done well. I would probably be disappointed if there isn’t a lot of movement in the scenes and if there isn’t a lot to look at in each scene.

I guess I expect it to be a fun ride with a coherent (if outlandish) story and great practical effects. I’m partial to the cultural elements of the concept: the food, the music, the Black American story they seem to be going for. I love that they’re trying to cram as much of the New Orleans/bayou vibe as possible.

yensidtlaw1969

On the one hand they want to be as kid friendly as possible but try to explain young kids what a co-op is???🤷🏼
Probably about as difficult to explain as Alpha Centauri Expeditions, the Avatar Program, and the Pandora Conservation Initiative . . . which is to say, not particularly, because they design the stuff to make enough sense that you can have fun on the ride whether you know all the particulars or not. It's background, it's atmosphere. The onus isn't on guests to parse a scientific journal before riding Flight of Passage, or even chart the events between Avatar the movie and the present moment in Pandora the land. That stuff's just there to color the experience generally for the uninitiated and offer some exposition, world-building, and lore for the initiated. Which is almost certainly what will be happening with this ride.

But if you want to give your kids an early primer, you can tell them that a Food Co-op is like a grocery store that's owned by the community.

Smiley/OCD

Yes. It happens when it is not done right. No one is saying it does not happen. Coaster's derail, including Disney's due to upkeep mistakes, they did not stop building coasters.
Yes, I agree, but I’m still not making a habit of standing or walking underneath it…that would totally RUIN my vacation…

UofMGuy423

Probably about as difficult to explain as Alpha Centauri Expeditions, the Avatar Program, and the Pandora Conservation Initiative . . . which is to say, not particularly, because they design the stuff to make enough sense that you can have fun on the ride whether you know all the particulars or not. It's background, it's atmosphere. The onus isn't on guests to parse a scientific journal before riding Flight of Passage, or even chart the events between Avatar the movie and the present moment in Pandora the land. That stuff's just there to color the experience generally for the uninitiated and offer some exposition, world-building, and lore for the initiated. Which is almost certainly what will be happening with this ride.

But if you want to give your kids an early primer, you can tell them that a Food Co-op is like a grocery store that's owned by the community.

True...but these background stories for the standby queue presumably didn't make the bulk of most of the press releases for these attractions or get shoehorned into the attraction story. It was a means to tell a story to guests in a queue (but if you're in the Lightening Lane then you'll miss the story entirely). So, is the co-op thing also part of the ride or is it just the queue? If you're in the LL, will you miss the co-op backstory entirely? Because they've mentioned this angle a lot and also have it on the construction fences. Why couldn't it just be her food storage warehouse for her restaurant from the movie? It just feels awkward and unnecessary to me, but with all things Disney, I'm waiting for the ride to open.

Incomudro

I don’t think I go by number of AAs. I think there can be well-balanced scenes with few AAs if the sets and other effects are done well. I would probably be disappointed if there isn’t a lot of movement in the scenes and if there isn’t a lot to look at in each scene.

I guess I expect it to be a fun ride with a coherent (if outlandish) story and great practical effects. I’m partial to the cultural elements of the concept: the food, the music, the Black American story they seem to be going for. I love that they’re trying to cram as much of the New Orleans/bayou vibe as possible.
I agree, a strict AA vs AA count alone does not determine if one ride is better than another.
There is more to it than that.
It's the overall engagement of the ride, the fun, the thrill, etc., it's not necessarily a head count of AA's.
Splash had it all though - lots of AA's, great visuals, pacing, songs, fun, and this oddly off putting feeling that despite all the whimsy - you were headed for something scary.
Tiana's has its work cut out for it.
I believe the scenery will be visually more beautiful.
More lush, better lighting and effects - fireflies etc.
Will it have that sense of fun and wonder along the way?
Will it have your head swiveling around to take it all in while there's a great big smile on your face?
I'm less sure of that.
I'd be far more sure had they used a Facilier theme.

Tha Realest

If the “salt mine” / “co op” was just negligible backstory that wasn’t a key part of the experience, we’d be hearing less about it - not more - as details continue to trickle out about this attraction. As it stands, it seems it forms the basis, at the very least, of the queue and the first phase of the ride (and likely the last part too, upon the return).

yensidtlaw1969

True...but these background stories for the standby queue presumably didn't make the bulk of most of the press releases for these attractions or get shoehorned into the attraction story. It was a means to tell a story to guests in a queue (but if you're in the Lightening Lane then you'll miss the story entirely). So, is the co-op thing also part of the ride or is it just the queue? If you're in the LL, will you miss the co-op backstory entirely? Because they've mentioned this angle a lot and also have it on the construction fences. Why couldn't it just be her food storage warehouse for her restaurant from the movie? It just feels awkward and unnecessary to me, but with all things Disney, I'm waiting for the ride to open.

We've yet to see anything describe the Co-op as part of the ride proper, it's only ever been referred to by Disney as part of the queue elements.

Every piece of concept art and description of the actual flume show elements has been about the Bayou, the critters, and Tiana. No mention of the Co-op showing up along the ride path. It's the framing device for how we end up on the Bayou with Tiana, same with how Alpha Centauri Expeditions is the framing device to take us from walking around Pandora to riding the back of a Banshee.

Disney wasn't shy about sharing information on Alpha Centauri Expeditions and the Pandora Conservation Initiative in the run up to Pandora's opening - in fact, they shared a series of posters created to "advertise" A.C.E.'s different excursions. They even put them on the construction walls too, with the company's Logo prominently featured:

1705689025737.png

Disney also released articles and videos in which they tout how they worked with real Animal Scientists to help develop a plausible biology to the environment of the land and its attractions, similar to the way they've been working with real artists from New Orleans to help imbue TBA with authentic character from the city:

They even went so far as to post about how the Cast Members were being "immersed in the Na'vi culture" and being taught the language, and created special Alpha Centauri Expeditions Nametags for the cast members in the land:

Keep in mind, too, that Pandora: The World of Avatar is a whole brand new land with 2 attractions, dining, shops, and significant placemaking. Tiana's Bayou Adventure is only one attraction, not a whole land, and therefore does not have quite so many new elements that can be discussed before you reach the point of giving away more than Disney wants to reveal. Not to mention that the ride system and layout are already known to the public.

Point being that Pandora's fake company got a lot of airtime even though there were a lot of other things in that new Land they could have been talking about, so it's really not so outrageous for Tiana's Foods to be featured similarly when discussing the new standalone attraction for which they clearly don't want to spoil everything.

SpectreJordan

I would also add that they need to theme the area above you just like splash had with the tree branches and leaves. That seems to be a lost necessity for imagineering, in which they focus on what’s on your left and right but above you will be duct work just painted black.
I mean tbf classics like Peter Pan & Small World do that too, sadly. I do agree that they shouldn't do that though; even if they don't have anything covering the ceiling, they should do what they do in Pirates. I love how they make the ceiling look in Pirates.

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
20240119_145029.jpg
20240119_143916.jpg
20240119_143840.jpg
20240119_143814.jpg
20240119_144613.jpg
20240119_143119.jpg
20240119_143454.jpg
20240119_143234.jpg
20240119_143434.jpg
20240119_142450.jpg

• Photos from today, Jan. 19

• Heard a lot of activity from the lift hill before the 50-foot drop

• Lots of flora added outside before the drop into the show building

• I know it was previously mentioned but seems like the tape on the water tower is for more moss to be added soon

• Took a peek through the mesh and the main area outside behind the walls is surprisingly clean - they removed more low-level scaffolding and started installing flowers around the track where the boats drop

FettFan

@EagleScout610 brought up... honestly, they sound awful. Why is Mama Odie shrinking us down to the size of a "critter" (which critter specifically? A frog? A beaver? A rabbit?) in the first place?

critters GIF by hero0fwar

Would make more sense for Dr. Facilier to do this, then have Odie change us back.

I’ve also seen a rumor that Bernard and Bianca will have a brief blink-and-you-miss it cameo, which would mean that Tiana’s Bayou Adventure actually takes place in Devil’s Bayou.

DBRCO7jVoAEtkAi.jpg

We now know the fate of the Zip A Dee Lady.

FettFan

PS - always thought the whole “talking animals” concept of PatF was absurd.

Ideally the only talking animals would have been fellow victims of Facilier.
Louis the alligator should have been an allusion to the story of Robert Johnson who sold his soul to the devil for musical talent….Louis wants to play the trumpet, Facilier grants him his wish, but is turned into a gator.

And the bald red-haired guy turned into a wolf.

Princess-and-the-frog-disneyscreencaps.com-843.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom