News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Stupido

PS - always thought the whole “talking animals” concept of PatF was absurd.

Ideally the only talking animals would have been fellow victims of Facilier.
Louis the alligator should have been an allusion to the story of Robert Johnson who sold his soul to the devil for musical talent….Louis wants to play the trumpet, Facilier grants him his wish, but is turned into a gator.

And the bald red-haired guy turned into a wolf.

Princess-and-the-frog-disneyscreencaps.com-843.jpg
What makes talking animals absurd in PatF, when Disney has a long history of talking animals in their movies? 🤔

Plus the animals don't even start talking until Tiana and Naveen are also animals. IF this "getting turned into animals" storyline is true, I'd assume mama odie turns us into animals so we can understand Louis and friends.

Do you similarly have issues with Little Mermaid having talking animals that Ariel can fully understand whether she's half human or full human?

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

What makes talking animals absurd in PatF, when Disney has a long history of talking animals in their movies? 🤔

Plus the animals don't even start talking until Tiana and Naveen are also animals. IF this "getting turned into animals" storyline is true, I'd assume mama odie turns us into animals so we can understand Louis and friends.

Do you similarly have issues with Little Mermaid having talking animals that Ariel can fully understand whether she's half human or full human?
I'd just have Louis and the other critters start talking immediately without magic.

MerlinTheGoat

PS - always thought the whole “talking animals” concept of PatF was absurd.

Ideally the only talking animals would have been fellow victims of Facilier.
Louis the alligator should have been an allusion to the story of Robert Johnson who sold his soul to the devil for musical talent….Louis wants to play the trumpet, Facilier grants him his wish, but is turned into a gator.

And the bald red-haired guy turned into a wolf.

Princess-and-the-frog-disneyscreencaps.com-843.jpg

Only after Tiana and Naveen turn into frogs do they gain the ability to understand animals. It's clear from that scene that Tiana had never heard an animal speak before. Mama Odie can also understand animals, given that she speaks to Ray and Louis. But she's a powerful sorceress who can do all sorts of crazy stuff (i'd imagine Facilier might have the ability as well). If the critters in the ride talk (i'm guessing Louis will) and they need a reason for guests to be able to hear them, then they can just have Mama Odie give riders the ability.

MerlinTheGoat

Also, i'm kind of confused about that rumor of Mama Odie "shrinking" guests. Seems like a really strange and possibly pointless plot device if they're not going to actually do anything with the idea. Are they going to have large human-sized AA figures for frogs, squirrels and such?

According to Splash Archive, the piece of art with Tiana and Naveen in the canoe is going to be located in the bottom floor of the Laughing Place. At least at Disneyland. If replicated at WDW, it would be placed on the left side where the jumping fountains are. And it doesn't look like guests are shrunk down at all there, they still look human sized.

FettFan

It was a case of PatF’s story needing a few more passes through editing before making it to screenplay. Same reason that beyond “the frog Prince in the jazz age”, a lot of the plot is just convoluted as hell.

FettFan

Only after Tiana and Naveen turn into frogs do they gain the ability to understand animals. It's clear from that scene that Tiana had never heard an animal speak before. Mama Odie can also understand animals, given that she speaks to Ray and Louis. But she's a powerful sorceress who can do all sorts of crazy stuff (i'd imagine Facilier might have the ability as well). If the critters in the ride talk (i'm guessing Louis will) and they need a reason for guests to be able to hear them, then they can just have Mama Odie give riders the ability.

I still like my version better, since it explains
a. How Louis can be so talented at playing a trumpet despite not having lips.
b. Why he’s so fearful of voodoo that he leads everyone deeper into the bayou instead of directly to Mama Odie.

Hell, Ray and his family could have also been victims of Dr. Facilier. Say they had a nice little shop in the French Quarter, but our good doctor friend decided he needed it more than them…

Brer Panther

I’ve also seen a rumor that Bernard and Bianca will have a brief blink-and-you-miss it cameo, which would mean that Tiana’s Bayou Adventure actually takes place in Devil’s Bayou.
Really? Iger's Disney acknowledging a pre-2009 non-princess movie in the parks? How long has it been since they've done THAT?

(The Village Fry Shoppe was renamed after Friar Tuck from Robin Hood after Iger took over, right?)
I'd just have Louis and the other critters start talking immediately without magic.
I agree. We don't need an explanation as to how the animals talk - I mean, the Little Mermaid ride doesn't explain how we can understand Scuttle and Sebastian.
Also, i'm kind of confused about that rumor of Mama Odie "shrinking" guests. Seems like a really strange and possibly pointless plot device if they're not going to actually do anything with the idea.
I agree with that too.
According to Splash Archive, the piece of art with Tiana and Naveen in the canoe is going to be located in the bottom floor of the Laughing Place. At least at Disneyland. If replicated at WDW, it would be placed on the left side where the jumping fountains are. And it doesn't look like guests are shrunk down at all there, they still look human sized.
Before Splash Archive tweeted that, my assumption was that the scene with Tiana and Naveen in the boat would be replacing Brer Fox and Brer Bear in the rabbit trap in the Disneyland version.

MagicHappens1971

Really? Iger's Disney acknowledging a pre-2009 non-princess movie in the parks? How long has it been since they've done THAT?

(The Village Fry Shoppe was renamed after Friar Tuck from Robin Hood after Iger took over, right?)
I think it was changed due to the removal of McDonald's fries.
I agree. We don't need an explanation as to how the animals talk - I mean, the Little Mermaid ride doesn't explain how we can understand Scuttle and Sebastian.
We don't. Disney's had talking animals forever, and we've never needed an explanation as to how the human protagonist can understand them.

Brer Oswald

Also, i'm kind of confused about that rumor of Mama Odie "shrinking" guests. Seems like a really strange and possibly pointless plot device if they're not going to actually do anything with the idea. Are they going to have large human-sized AA figures for frogs, squirrels and such?

I’m pretty sure the shrinking sequence is outdated info from the “Louis’ Trumpet” pitch that was said to have used more screens.

The boat art is probably more accurate to what we will get.

MerlinTheGoat

I’m pretty sure the shrinking sequence is outdated info from the “Louis’ Trumpet” pitch that was said to have used more screens.

The boat art is probably more accurate to what we will get.
Anything is possible. But I will say that Alicia Stella as far as I know is a reputable insider on the Universal side of things at least. Not sure if her track record is as good on Disney stuff. Guess we'll see.

I'm certain this ride is going to have SOME screens. At least on the background walls that would have been painted flats otherwise, or in areas where they can't fit a lot of physical figures anyway. I just hope they will be used in a more supplementary manner, like digitally mapping flat walls behind other physical characters, and not a replacement for physical stuff.

I don't know what they're going to do scenery wise in the room between the dip-drop and smaller third drop, but that was always a fairly compact corridor in the first place. The only figures were the main trio of Brers. And that was only WDW's version, DL didn't even have any figures in that stretch at all until you get past the final tiny dip. Otherwise it was a pretty basic cavern hallway with the spinning hives overhead. It would not surprise me if they added some projections in that hallway to make up for the lack of space for physical figures there.

Brer Oswald

Anything is possible. But I will say that Alicia Stella as far as I know is a reputable insider on the Universal side of things at least. Not sure if her track record is as good on Disney stuff. Guess we'll see.

I'm certain this ride is going to have SOME screens. At least on the background walls that would have been painted flats otherwise, or in areas where they can't fit a lot of physical figures anyway. I just hope they will be used in a more supplementary manner, like digitally mapping flat walls behind other physical characters, and not a replacement for physical stuff.

I don't know what they're going to do scenery wise in the room between the dip-drop and smaller third drop, but that was always a fairly compact corridor in the first place. The only figures were the main trio of Brers. And that was only WDW's version, DL didn't even have any figures in that stretch at all until you get past the final tiny dip. Otherwise it was a pretty basic cavern hallway with the spinning hives overhead. It would not surprise me if they added some projections in that hallway to make up for the lack of space for physical figures there.
Her track record with Universal is unparalleled. I think this is a unique project in that it has been constantly changing direction since the initial announcement. Some major details weren’t even finalized until after Disneyland’s closed.

aladdin2007

isn't the rumor that the laughing place will mainly be a screen tunnel? and I thought the scene with the boat and Naveen was for the first upstairs show room with the musical critter band?

MerlinTheGoat

isn't the rumor that the laughing place will mainly be a screen tunnel? and I thought the scene with the boat and Naveen was for the first upstairs show room with the musical critter band?
A lot of people were theorizing that the scene with the boat would be located here at Disneyland-

1705795687814.png

However, this was never confirmed nor even rumored by any insiders, it was just fan speculation because it seemed to "fit" with DL. In addition this scene is a bit different at WDW. Brer Bear is hanging over a piece of land instead of over a pool of water. And it's located on the opposite side of the flume. So unless they tore out significant chunks of the side and expanded the water at WDW, a boat at that location wouldn't work and the scene would have to be different.

1705796980004.png

Splash Archive claimed that the scene depicted in the art is instead located in the bottom most level of the Laughing Place at Disneyland. Right after the figure of Brer Bear with the hive on his nose. There was already a boat present in the scene occupied by a dog animatronic. Archive says they're going to reuse the boat at DL and retheme the area with trees and forest scenery. Whether this claim is accurate, I don't know. But it IS the one place that can fit BOTH DL and WDW. Both having a large pool of water on the left side of the flume where a boat and several figures could fit.

I haven't listened to the podcast Alicia Stella made on the matter, so I don't know if she went into more specifics than what was posted in this thread. According to a bullet point that EagleScout posted however, it just says Louis will follow guests through the Laughing Place via screens. Unless this was said otherwise, I would again assume this to mean the narrow cavern corridor after the dip drop but before the third drop. Where the spinning beehives were located. It would make sense to me for Disney to use some screens in here due to the limited physical space that probably wouldn't hold very many AA's anyway. But we'll see.

Again, if what Alicia said was all true, I am very confused about the purpose of "shrinking" guests down to critter size unless they're going to play with the size of the sets and characters.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

A lot of people were theorizing that the scene with the boat would be located here at Disneyland-

View attachment 764105

However, this was never confirmed nor even rumored by any insiders, it was just fan speculation because it seemed to "fit" with DL. In addition this scene is a bit different at WDW. Brer Bear is hanging over a piece of land instead of over a pool of water. And it's located on the opposite side of the flume. So unless they tore out significant chunks of the side and expanded the water at WDW, a boat at that location wouldn't work and the scene would have to be different.

View attachment 764110

Splash Archive claimed that the scene depicted in the art is instead located in the bottom most level of the Laughing Place at Disneyland. Right after the figure of Brer Bear with the hive on his nose. There was already a boat present in the scene occupied by a dog animatronic. Archive says they're going to reuse the boat at DL and retheme the area with trees and forest scenery. Whether this claim is accurate, I don't know. But it IS the one place that can fit BOTH DL and WDW. Both having a large pool of water on the left side of the flume where a boat and several figures could fit.

I haven't listened to the podcast Alicia Stella made on the matter, so I don't know if she went into more specifics than what was posted in this thread. According to a bullet point that EagleScout posted however, it just says Louis will follow guests through the Laughing Place via screens. Unless this was said otherwise, I would again assume this to mean the narrow cavern corridor after the dip drop but before the third drop. Where the spinning beehives were located. It would make sense to me for Disney to use some screens in here due to the limited physical space that probably wouldn't hold very many AA's anyway. But we'll see.

Again, if what Alicia said was all true, I am very confused about the purpose of "shrinking" guests down to critter size unless they're going to play with the size of the sets and characters.
thanks, will be interesting to see what comes to fruition, though sure loved all the black lighting and other lights and spinning bees and jumping water in the laughing place. Hopefully there is more to it than just a screen on both sides...but if frozen is any indication..:banghead:..........and Maybe we are being shrunk down to be frogs, weird I know, but if they are shrinking guests down to anything I would think frog,,,,ribbet.

Nubs70

thanks, will be interesting to see what comes to fruition, though sure loved all the black lighting and other lights and spinning bees and jumping water in the laughing place. Hopefully there is more to it than just a screen on both sides...but if frozen is any indication..:banghead:..........and Maybe we are being shrunk down to be frogs, weird I know, but if they are shrinking guests down to anything I would think frog,,,,ribbet.
Spinning fire ants

Smiley/OCD

Another question, that I haven’t seen mentioned…since the thrill factor is being toned down, are the water canons at the drop going to reappear or are they permanently removed? Unless I’ve missed it, there hasn’t been any news about it…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom