News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

Tony Baxter also praised TBA and the people involved when it was announced, only to later go on a podcast and take a massive dump on them.
Well, if Rafferty does the same, you can alert me. Until then, I’ll give more weight to his opinion of Carter than to the unsubstantiated criticisms of anonymous forumites.

I personally find MMRR to be a pretty mediocre ride. Outright offensively bad as a replacement for GMR, but not even particularly good on its own merits (at least California was a new build though).

But I will also say that Rafferty himself deserves a LOT of the blame for that one, much moreso than Carter IMO. Most of his attractions have also been very screen-heavy in general, so it's not surprising how it turned out.
One man’s meat is another man’s poison. I think it’s a fabulous attraction, and one I personally enjoy much more than I did the Great Movie Ride.

James Alucobond

But I will also say that Rafferty himself deserves a LOT of the blame for that one, much moreso than Carter IMO. A lot of his other attractions have also been very screen-heavy in general, so it's not surprising how it turned out. He's done a few things I really like, but a LOT more that I haven't.
In the case of MMRR, I think screens are the right medium given the source material. For whatever reason, I'm generally more okay with screens when it comes to both Pixar and "cruder" hand-drawn animation, whereas I prefer animatronics for classic Walt Disney Animation Studios and live action films.

MerlinTheGoat

well you shouldn’t count the 3d movies against him, tough to be a bug and philharmagic are crazy good!

Midway mania you have a point with but all of cars land doesn’t have a screen in sight!
ITTBAB is ok, at least it didn't replace an existing attraction. Philharmagic isn't bad but also lost its luster for me and I think it had a some much better attractions in the space prior. The only 3D movie i've really taken to is Muppetvision. Not only the funniest of its kind, but even has a lot of animatronics and other physical elements mixed in as well.

I like Radiator Springs Racers a lot. It's not without screens, there are several used at the racing prep scenes. But I have very little to gripe about. That one's a winner. Depending on what specifically he was involved in creating for Cars Land. I also really admire Tower of Terror, even though it also uses video elements. Negatives against Rafferty for me though are Tiki room Under New Management, Test Track, Toy Story Mania and MMRR. I also personally don't care for Rock n Roller Coaster, though at least it didn't replace a classic ride. Finding Nemo Submarines was sort of a compromise to ensure it didn't meet the same fate as WDW's 20k Leagues ride, so I won't throw blame at him for that one (even if it isn't preferable to what came prior).

Rafferty's talents were proabably best confined to smaller scale simulator attractions, not big massive E Ticket rides that should be filled with physical sets and animatronics.

Brer Oswald

I think you have it backwards - producers and project leads are typically creatives. Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde, Scott Trowbridge, Kevin Rafferrty, etc.

Edit to add - I don’t think of Carter as an accountant though. Yes that was her background, but she has worked in blue sky studio and as a creative on attractions for several years now.
Based on what I can gather, Smith is more of the issue and not Carter. Have heard rumblings that they butt heads quite a bit, and it has led to a rough development for this retheme, with a lot of “odd” things pushed by Smith against the better judgement of the rest of the team.

MerlinTheGoat

In the case of MMRR, I think screens are the right medium given the source material. For whatever reason, I'm generally more okay with screens when it comes to both Pixar and "cruder" hand-drawn animation, whereas I prefer animatronics for classic Walt Disney Animation Studios and live action films.
For the record, screens are far from my only complaint with the ride. I also hate the character designs, flash-looking animations and Ren and Stimpy style facial expressions of the modern Mickey shorts. The rooms are also way too massive and all of the scenery is shoved up against the walls to make way for the vehicles. The feeling of riding through a giant warehouse is very apparent. There's almost no end to the issues I have with MMRR. Again it's especially offensive to me as a replacement for GMR, but even on its own I find it a fairly mediocre experience.

Last edited:

Alice a

For the record, screens are far from my only complaint with the ride. I also hate the character designs, animations and facial expressions of the modern Mickey shorts. The rooms are also way too massive and all of the scenery is shoved up against the walls to make way for the vehicles. The feeling of riding through a giant warehouse is very apparent. There's almost no end to the issues I have with MMRR. Again it's especially offensive to me as a replacement for GMR, but even on its own I find it a fairly mediocre expe
It (and Rat) made me and most of my early middle-aged traveling group so nauseous. Never again. It was also so bare and boring looking compared to the lushness of GMR.

I have inner ear issues and can't ride coasters or screen rides (I can watch shows, though) so all the ride transformations of the past few years have cut out what I can ride significantly. We've gone from visiting 2-4 times a year, staying Deluxe and buying APs (out of state) to buying day tickets to visit every few years and feeling 'eh' about it.

Brer Panther

Calling them creatives is a disservice to real creatives in the same way calling Anthony Anderson and Patrick Dempsey Disney Legends is.
Calling it, at the next D23 Expo they're gonna dub Amy Poehler a Disney Legend over someone more deserving simply to promote Inside Out 2.
Based on what I can gather, Smith is more of the issue and not Carter. Have heard rumblings that they butt heads quite a bit, and it has led to a rough development for this retheme, with a lot of “odd” things pushed by Smith against the better judgement of the rest of the team.
I wonder if after the ride opens, any of the Imagineers working on this will go into detail about the process of developing this attraction. I'd love to know just HOW they came up with the idea to have the attraction focus on a food co-op.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think it’s a bit tricky cause Disney doesn’t provide a list of titles and credits for attractions so it’s a bit difficult. My definition of producer is probably different than yours, not sure about Disneys definitions.

Saying both are equally important is a little silly. Who the accountant is doesn’t matter to the guest experience - who design and created the rides does.
I’m saying they are equally important in the context of the rides being built, just like Walt wouldn’t have been successful without Roy’s business sense none of the Imagineers visions would succeed without the business managers dealing with the finances and logistics behind them.

_caleb

Calling it, at the next D23 Expo they're gonna dub Amy Poehler a Disney Legend over someone more deserving simply to promote Inside Out 2.

I wonder if after the ride opens, any of the Imagineers working on this will go into detail about the process of developing this attraction. I'd love to know just HOW they came up with the idea to have the attraction focus on a food co-op.
Does the ride FOCUS on a food co-op?

Casper Gutman

For the record, screens are far from my only complaint with the ride. I also hate the character designs, flash-looking animations and Ren and Stimpy style facial expressions of the modern Mickey shorts. The rooms are also way too massive and all of the scenery is shoved up against the walls to make way for the vehicles. The feeling of riding through a giant warehouse is very apparent. There's almost no end to the issues I have with MMRR. Again it's especially offensive to me as a replacement for GMR, but even on its own I find it a fairly mediocre experience.
The “warehouse” issue is inherent to trackless rides and one of the primary reasons I wish they’d move away from them. That said, I prefer MMRR to RotR by quite some margin - one captures the essence of its subject matter and one doesn’t. In fact, I think MMRR is superior to most trackless rides - BatB, Rat, etc. I’m no fan of screenz, but the subject matter and integration of 3d figures and props in MMRR make me much more inclined to give it a pass. I’d PROBABLY rather have GMR, but of all the great replaced attractions - Horizons, WoM, Imagination, Energy, etc - GMR to MMRR strikes me as the least egregious (if we ignore how easy it should have been to have both). Just my opinion, of course…

Fox&Hound

This is crazy talk
I love Rise but I think its unreliable ride system that breaks down all too often makes a lot of people question it. Not saying that is what the poster was referring to, just my thought. I was wowed until I sat in the holding chamber for one hour and the firm guards dropped their performance/acting roles and started asking everyone “does anyone need water? Anyone need to use the bathroom?” Really takes you out of it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The primary marketing of the attraction sure has been.
And the primary marketing has been focusing on backstory, not the ride.

Applying what was said to about the backstory -- as if we were told this is what the ride is all about -- is mischaracterization.

And maybe, in some instances, a purposeful mischaracterization.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom