News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

KDM31091

I’m hearing a lot of people saying that this is a disaster, with the ride breaking nearly daily and being a huge expense to fix. The downtime has been insane. I wonder what the future holds.

Disstevefan1

At this point, if they can keep the attraction working without going down and someday open the standby, that's good enough for me because I said from day 1, it will still be a fun log flume ride no matter the theme.

I am a little disappointed that got rid of the water cannons at the end, but beggars cant be choosers.

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

Even ignoring the outfits they put her in, the Tiana animatronics look incredibly off-model.
It was one of the more bizarre choices they made. One would think with the dynamics around this attraction they would have been even more focused on ensuring the animatronic was on-model. Having an "Eh, it's close enough" on this attraction is just shocking.

JoeCamel

It was one of the more bizarre choices they made. One would think with the dynamics around this attraction they would have been even more focused on ensuring the animatronic was on-model. Having an "Eh, it's close enough" on this attraction is just shocking.
Seems they havent been able to produce an AA that is representative of the source real life or animated since Mermaid? I think it started there but might have been earlier. 2017 was particularly bad with HoP

James Alucobond

Seems they havent been able to produce an AA that is representative of the source real life or animated since Mermaid? I think it started there but might have been earlier.
The Frozen and Tangled animatronics are pretty bang-on because they were already realized in 3D. The Golden Age and Renaissance characters have always been harder to translate because some of them are stylized in a way that doesn't translate well. Look at how off the characters in Wreck-It Ralph are that aren't Anna, Elsa, Rapunzel, Moana, or Merida. Also consider why they've waffled between giving certain characters real hair in some instances and solid molded lumps in others. It's not easy to do, particularly because you can't cel-shade things in real life.

By contrast, I actually think the Golden Age characters tend to be easiest to cast for M&Gs because they were often more faithfully rotoscoped from real-life models, including facial proportions. Meanwhile, big-headed round-eyed characters will require some compromise.

JoeCamel

The Frozen and Tangled animatronics are pretty bang-on because they were already realized in 3D. The Golden Age and Renaissance characters have always been harder to translate because some of them are stylized in a way that doesn't translate well. Look at how off the characters in Wreck-It Ralph are that aren't Anna, Elsa, Rapunzel, Moana, or Merida. Also consider why they've waffled between giving certain characters real hair in some instances and solid molded lumps in others. It's not easy to do, particularly because you can't cel-shade things in real life.

By contrast, I actually think the Golden Age characters tend to be easiest to cast for M&Gs because they were often more faithfully rotoscoped from real-life models, including facial proportions. Meanwhile, big-headed round-eyed characters will require some compromise.
I thought the projected faces were one of the prime examples of the loss of talent, just a lazy way to deliver a wow moment like so many of the rides they have built. One trick pony if you will but really lacking on the 1000th viewing unlike some of the classics. They will never make a 100% realistic AA despite what Bob is teasing but they have interpreted the source material successfully in the past to look good every time even if not as complex. Often less is more but when your reputation is forming you tend to pick the easy way if you can. The people that had years of perspective to know what is pleasing to the eye and sensibilities are sadly missing today

James Alucobond

The projected faces don't make them off-model, though. I also think they were more an experiment with new technology than a result of laziness. They've obviously moved away from them now because they think the effect is ultimately less satisfying and the intended maintenance reduction not as substantial as they had hoped.

easyrowrdw

For a ride that was deemed to be so “important”, it is honestly shocking how poorly they treated Tiana - both in her appearance (apparently we cannot show or discuss the comparison to the animated film character) and role in the attraction.
Yeah. It is a little strange that they couldn't think of anything more for her to do than look for critter musicians. I honestly don't give that much thought to the stories of rides. But if they're trying to move the character beyond the movie, then I think they're should've been something more going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom