News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Goofnut1980

You know with how bad Imagination and SSE are, if this is what a fully funded attraction looks like then I don't want them touching them. The fact this and GotG have pretty crap stories as well makes me concerned about future "new" attractions. AA's look fantastic at the very least.
Anymore its turning into rollercoaster land but because it rains, they put them inside a box and its earth shattering.
I was just talking to some friends.. Can we get that classic Disney dark ride back. Look at the wait for something like Haunted Mansion. It can be just as long as some of the new stuff. Not everything needs to be a thrill ride. The ways of being a family-friendly park are slowly diminishing. Not too many new rides are made for all age groups, and I don't even have kids. To see the detail in older attractions is amazing. New stuff is a rollercoaster in a big box with some projectors on some flat surfaces. And that still takes 3 years to build.. LOL

Mr. Sullivan

Ok…but mission breakout doesn’t appear to be regarded in consensus as a huge success. It’s still pretty divisive.
With who this is my question. I am a WDW guest mainly. I only visited DLR for the first time this year. For the several years leading up to my trip, I’ve seen nothing but positive things in Disney spaces and other non-Disney specific faces about it. The consensus I’ve seen is that it’s an improvement on the ride system of ToT and makes it more exciting with a more intense and fun drop sequence, even if the IP isn’t everyone’s favorite. The only contentious point I’ve seen after it opened and people experienced it was its outside appearance.

Incomudro

I feel it looks well done. Can't comment much on the story aspect until I ride it for myself. The silly concerns I have is this.

Disney is terrible at maintaining things. Which means, how long until a simple projector around water all the time, stops working then the screens go dark. Also, simple things like the vegetables swinging on the upper part that overlooks the bridge, how long until those stop swinging. They can put out a great product but forget some of their Keys... like, Show!
When things go down on this ride, it'll suffer more than Splash did.
Far more.
As I've said a number of times, the Splash scenes even work when static.
There's a story, and action worked out in each frame if you will.
Every frame on Tiana's is either a single AA waiting to tell us what's going on, or a cluster of AA's as a band.
If they're not moving, there is nothing else going on.
It's readily apparent in the scene by scene comparisons that are prevalent on youtube.

Dan Deesnee

General Public aren't going to cancel their trip to the world's most famous four theme parks (with 51 other iconic rides to do, and countless world-class entertainment offerings) because one ride is a little underwhelming to a few thousand superfans. :rolleyes:

A couple of points:

1. I never said they would cancel their trips, because I never said that they were already booked and going. The point I was making is that if they were thinking of going this might have them thinking twice, especially with Epic Universe next year. - "...planning on potentially going..."

2. If we were to utilize your logic, that people will not skip going to Disney simply because the new ride is mediocre. That would mean that people would also not go to Disney if the ride was good. This then begs a question, why would Disney ever create anything new?

Millions, possibly by now tens of millions, of families went to Disney with the main goal / purpose of riding Frozen Ever After...

Brer Panther

so much Louis, the blandest part of the film. In a charming, original movie, the one bit that felt like he was a stock character designed by committee to move merch... so it makes sense he has a starring role here.
I actually like Louis. Too bad he's given absolutely nothing to do in this ride.
This ride feels like they wanted to prove people wrong by saying "we'll use a ton of the greatest AAs and we'll show them!!!'
Considering that most of the animatronics aside from Tiana, Louis, and Mama Odie have about as much movement as that one turtle in the Little Mermaid ride, I wouldn't be surprised if they used up most of the animatronics budget pretty quickly.
Ah, I see. So the goalpost now shifts to "we can't trust Tony."
But we totally can trust the Disney executives claiming that the retheme was totally in the works for a year before people started demanding it, right?
I think visually (inside & out) the attraction is an upgrade to Splash.
The ugly CGI animation on the screens alone make this a visual downgrade from Splash Mountain.
Do you think they had a great idea and somehow threw it out for this?
Well, originally the plot was going to be about Louis trying to find his trumpet. So...
Iger has only been back for a year and a half.
Let's see... he left at the beginning of 2020, then came back until December 2021... then he came back at some point in 2022 after Chapek demonstrated what a lousy CEO he was. Most things we blame Chapek for are actually on him.
One would think that the flock of fishing “How Do You Do” storks would have meshed well into “Going Down the Bayou”, or have the Swamp Boys jamming on their log….anything to prevent the long stretches of foliage-gazing between the major set pieces.
There's no reason they couldn't have at least kept the Swamp Boys. They're GATORS. They'd work fine in a bayou. But nope, Disney is too cheap and/or lazy to maintain its animatronics, so just throw 'em in the scrap heap with the Universe of Energy dinosaurs.
Dr Facilier was pitched as the antagonist originally
Where did you get this information from?

davis_unoxx

IMG_5220.png

I asked a social media AI bot on the reception of TBA, and they gave me a sponsored response from Disney lol

Mr. Sullivan

Splash is one of the greatest rides ever built by WDI…top 5 at a minimum.
This seems to be the main sticking point for a lot of people: not everyone agrees with this, and we’re happy to see it transform into something we’re more interested in. That’s why I think the fighting is so pointless. Everyone has preferences, and there’s little sense in debating those preferences since no one is going to move. No one is going to be convinced to like something they just don’t. So perhaps we ought to just be discussing the ride rather than debate on the “moral decay” of the company as if this one ride that the general public is going to like just fine even if Disney fans hate it is going to be what breaks the Mouse’s back.

MerlinTheGoat

The AA team, as usual, did exceptional work. WDI still excels here. But, the best figures are so expensive that we can’t actually get rides with dozens of actual AAs any more.
On a raw technical and design level, i'd pretty much agree. Though the programmed motion does have that "flail arms around randomly" thing going on that people have griped about (the Kylo Ren AA has this quirk as well).

They need to be able to create a spectrum of electrical AA's of different movement range so that they can fill out scenery again like they used to. Not just a dozen A1000s, but everything else look like they belong in Peter Pan's Flight and Snow White's Scary Adventures...

Last edited:

doctornick

This seems to be the main sticking point for a lot of people: not everyone agrees with this, and we’re happy to see it transform into something we’re more interested in. That’s why I think the fighting is so pointless. Everyone has preferences, and there’s little sense in debating those preferences since no one is going to move. No one is going to be convinced to like something they just don’t. So perhaps we ought to just be discussing the ride rather than debate on the “moral decay” of the company as if this one ride that the general public is going to like just fine even if Disney fans hate it is going to be what breaks the Mouse’s back.

To each there own, but I realize that Splash is gone and I totally accept that (but I do hope Tokyo keeps theirs forever even if I never visit that park). My main concern is that the company takes the feedback - good and bad really - and understands that and uses it in the future in terms of developing rides. And, quite frankly, I hope they realize that making changes for knee jerk reasons and being more concerned about optics over quality storytelling is not the best way to run a theme park or entertainment company in general.

Mr. Sullivan

To each there own, but I realize that Splash is gone and I totally accept that (but I do hope Tokyo keeps theirs forever even if I never visit that park). My main concern is that the company takes the feedback - good and bad really - and understands that and uses it in the future in terms of developing rides. And, quite frankly, I hope they realize that making changes for knee jerk reasons and being more concerned about optics over quality storytelling is not the best way to run a theme park or entertainment company in general.
I don’t disagree on that front. I love the new attraction, but I certainly think there are lessons to be learned from it. If nothing else a more coherent approach to marketing and presenting what the attraction is to the public and not speaking in rich details until those details are completely decided upon.

Ayla

One thing I wish they would have gotten rid of and they didn't ~ that tailbone-crushing smack of the logs right as they go down the first drop! 😩

Raineman

It's been interesting in the last few days, in regards to online reactions to the video. Initially, it was almost all negative, but now the people who wanted the re theme all along either don't like it but will never admit it, or are on a pixie dust high and like it for their little princesses, are starting to post comments, and alot of them always involve the same rude, dismissive, passive-aggressive phrases that they have been spouting for years. " And I do agree that it will be busy for a while, and the majority of the people in the queue will be parents of young kids with the "BBB & princess meet and greet are the #1 priority for my little princess" mentality. I am just a bit nervous that WDI eyes are going to turn to HM soon, and if they start to mess with my favorite attraction other than maybe some sprucing up or very minor changes, I am done giving Disney my theme park $.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
One thing someone else brought up on social media was the idea that for maintenance/upkeep costs they possibly wanted to keep the animatronics to certain areas for easier access. I would not doubt that at all, however, counterpoint is there is still a lot of decoration and theming throughout Splash that weren't necessarily animatronics but added to the experience.

Mr. Sullivan

All that matters is what most people think. Disney is a for profit corporation and it’s in its best interest to appeal to the majority of customers.

Splash was easily one of the most popular rides
( backed by data ) in the park.

What Disney should have done is politely tell the small group that had a problem with Splash to pound sand.
What is to say that TBA isn’t going to be just as popular? It isn’t open yet. The majority of people who’re going to get on it aren’t watching a YouTube POV just as they haven’r been following construction.

If it proves to be a flop with guests then I’ll be the first to admit it. But, and I’m genuinely asking, what are you all going to say if it does prove to be successful? What’s gonna be your argument then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom