News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MerlinTheGoat

One thing i've been wondering. I know A1000's are quite expensive. And they're clearly trying to move away from hydraulic and go all electric. But during the hydraulics era of AA's, they seemed to have a better variety for how complex the figures could get.

Mr Bluebird for example was probably the simplest true AA in Splash, as he was somewhat similar to the Tiki Birds in complexity. And yet he still had more dynamic audio-synced motion than the new critter figures (despite their larger size) that just pivot back and forth on a couple of axes in a very repetitive motion. Then you had figures like the squatting frogs which were a little step above him. And then above him were the minor critters such as the geese, chickens, alligators, etc used in the intro and finale scenes (with a lot more like these at Disneyland). And then lastly the main Brers who had a handful of figures that were the most complex in the ride.

With Tiana however, the moving characters seem to occupy two extremes. The 14 legitimate animatronics for the returning film characters are very intricate and complex. However, again all of the remaining critters are very simple moving props. Like the kinds you'd often see in old dark rides such as the old Dwarf cottage band from Snow White and 7DMT. And there's nothing really in between those two extremes. Pretty much all of these new critters should have been proper AA's. They shouldn't all need to have the insane range as an A1000, but something similar to Splash's geese, alligators and chickens would seem reasonable. Do they just not have any less expensive all-electric designs for these?

Moving props have their place as well. Splash also had plenty of those in addition to the 55ish genuine animatronics. These sorts of props are what they could have used to fill out all of the empty dead space people have noted. As yensidtlaw1969 suggested in his mockup with regular storks, spoonbills, turtles, frogs etc etc.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I don’t think how they spent the budget was the (main) issue. I can see where the money went—the attraction doesn’t look cheap to me, the screens notwithstanding. The biggest problem is the dull storyline, and that wouldn’t have taken a big budget to get right.
I agree.
It certainly doesn't look cheap to me.
Even given the expanses with less going on, I can see where the money went elsewhere.
Superficially, it looks nice.
As I assumed, it makes Splash look dated and I'm afraid that may be enough for the majority of visitors.

PREMiERdrum

So is the Tianna retheme of the "problematic" Pecos Bill on hold now until things shake out with TBA?
Shelved indefinitely. There was a window to get it done with the least amount of disruption, but that's long passed. No NO Square East... until maybe after the little bit BBTM is finally up?

Do they make changes to DLR's version to address the negative reaction to the MK version?
As it sounds right now? Absolutely not. High on hubris.

Trauma

I guess in future ride build threads we should focus less on our thoughts about the attraction and instead focus on how it will look to the “general public”.

What’s interesting is that we have hardcore fans at all, since we would have all originated from the general public.

I guess we developed special abilities to find fault in what Disney offers and once we could see all the problems, we decided to spend insane amounts of money on it every year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SamusAranX

What is most concerning to me here is that this wasn’t done on the cheap, so they had enough money to do a lot. How do so many people get together and decide THIS is the storyline? Further, they’ve lost a lot of talent recently, but many of those departed Imagineers still love the parks and would gladly provide advice. It is DEEPLY concerning to me that current Imagineers have the hubris to have Tony f-in’ Baxter in a room, hear his advice, and say, “thanks, but I think we are gonna go in another direction.”

That’s appalling.

And it makes me concerned for other projects. Will they ignore Rohde’s advice on Tropical Americas?

You have these members of your creative team that you elevate to god-like status in your fan communities and then toss them aside? It makes no sense. You can’t start every freakin’ DPB article with “Because Walt Disney once said, ‘…’” if you have no intention of upholding the old standard.
It sure worked out for them though when they did the same to George Lucas

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess in future ride build threads we should focus less on our thoughts about the attraction and instead focus on how it will look to the “general public”.

It seems it’s safe to assume the general public has poor vision, poor hearing and limited cognitive ability.

These people are an inspiration to me since despite all their limitations they are still able to afford a 10k vacation.

It’s interesting that we have hardcore fans at all, since we would have all originated from the general public.

I guess we developed special abilities to find fault in what Disney offers and once we could see all the problems, we decided to spend insane amounts of money on it every year.
The race to find the lowest common denominator…in parks as they have with films…

…will be chiseled on the grave stone of the Iger era. They take good things and intentionally make them bad…it’s insane

ToTBellHop

I'd imagine it is full of horror stories. No one on the TBA team inspired confidence in their abilities to competently complete something like this.
The AA team, as usual, did exceptional work. WDI still excels here. But, the best figures are so expensive that we can’t actually get rides with dozens of actual AAs any more.

And no one seems to have noticed that part of what many loved about Splash was how cute the secondary characters were, especially their voices. They made Splash really charming.

I wish they had recorded some vocals for the new characters.

doctornick

Most popular ride? Did anyone ever rope drop Splash? Did Splash’s lightning lanes sell out before all the other rides on Genie+?

I don't know for sure, but some have reported that Splash generally got the highest Guest satisfaction ratings of any ride in the park. So I think it was conceivable that it was the "most popular" ride - though that's always somewhat of a nebulous and undefinable concept.

To your point though, nobody particularly runs to HM or POTC at rope drop either and they are probably also in contention for the most popular rides at Disney parks. I think the reality is that rides with poorer capacity tend to drawn that kind of attention simple because they build up lines more quickly.

Dan Deesnee

Yeah -- the WDW POV video only has 373k views. That's obviously not nothing, but it's a tiny percentage of the Magic Kingdom's yearly attendance.

While I personally think Tiana is very much a disappointment (especially when judged against Splash), this is really not a thing amongst the general public/average Disney guest, at least not yet.

But you're not really thinking about it the way Disney would. That is potentially 2 to 300,000 parents that are watching this ride video and we're planning on potentially going to MK sometime in the next year. Partially, no doubt, because of this new ride.

They then watch it, are underwhelmed, read the comments, and decide to save their money and go elsewhere.

That's ~200,000 families so, roughly 800k-1 million people.

Then assume that they will mention this to friends and family, doubtless some of which will had heard about the new ride and may have been thinking of going down themselves.

The number is still low when looking at an entire year's worth of attendance and assuming massive potential errors with the numbers above - since it's a small data set. But I would absolutely not write off the power of bad word of mouth and negative press, combined with millions of people being disenfranchised with Disney in general over the past few years. THEN add in the juggernaut that will be Epic Universe, opening next summer, andDisney could be in serious trouble here.

doctornick

I don’t think how they spent the budget was the (main) issue. I can see where the money went—the attraction doesn’t look cheap to me, the screens notwithstanding. The biggest problem is the dull storyline, and that wouldn’t have taken a big budget to get right.

Exactly. That's the troubling thing - it's not that the Imagineers didn't have enough funds - not to mention a great baseline ride system and space - to make an exception ride. It's that they seemingly weren't capable of making something anywhere near as entertaining and engaging as Splash. Yes, it's a high bar to clear, but I think it unfortunately does speak more to the talent of the current crop of engineers than the resources they were given to work with.

I tend to believe a large issue with that is that they would benefit from having people come from a movie/theater/animation background who work more with telling stories and visual media. There is a reason why Walt's animator team was so outstanding in pivoting to rides.

Goofnut1980

I feel it looks well done. Can't comment much on the story aspect until I ride it for myself. The silly concerns I have is this.

Disney is terrible at maintaining things. Which means, how long until a simple projector around water all the time, stops working then the screens go dark. Also, simple things like the vegetables swinging on the upper part that overlooks the bridge, how long until those stop swinging. They can put out a great product but forget some of their Keys... like, Show!

wdw71fan

1. This ride 'refresh' was never going to be as 'good' as Splash Mountain. Thankfully this isn't as bad a Frozen.

3. Splash was allowed to exceed budget in some areas. I won't elaborate, but many at WDI declined the opportunity to work on the project because of the polarizing nature of the work.

4. Baxter was being Baxter, which is both good and bad. But I digress.

Last edited by a moderator:

trainplane3

From everything we can see this project has been fully financed. In the past there has been valid criticism that certain projects have been underfunded, but not the case here.
You know with how bad Imagination and SSE are, if this is what a fully funded attraction looks like then I don't want them touching them. The fact this and GotG have pretty crap stories as well makes me concerned about future "new" attractions. AA's look fantastic at the very least.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
But you're not really thinking about it the way Disney would. That is potentially 2 to 300,000 parents that are watching this ride video and we're planning on potentially going to MK sometime in the next year. Partially, no doubt, because of this new ride.

They then watch it, are underwhelmed, read the comments, and decide to save their money and go elsewhere.

That's ~200,000 families so, roughly 800k-1 million people.

Then assume that they will mention this to friends and family, doubtless some of which will had heard about the new ride and may have been thinking of going down themselves.

The number is still low when looking at an entire year's worth of attendance and assuming massive potential errors with the numbers above - since it's a small data set. But I would absolutely not write off the power of bad word of mouth and negative press, combined with millions of people being disenfranchised with Disney in general over the past few years. THEN add in the juggernaut that will be Epic Universe, opening next summer, andDisney could be in serious trouble here.
General Public aren't going to cancel their trip to the world's most famous four theme parks (with 51 other iconic rides to do, and countless world-class entertainment offerings) because one ride is a little underwhelming to a few thousand superfans. :rolleyes:

PK2

The thought occurred to me today that a lot of the leadership on this previously did Runaway Railway, which is very funny because the plot beats of that would almost perfectly fit the overall track of this ride. So it's not like they aren't capable of writing something that fits that, they just... Actively chose to make the plot incongruous with the ride experience.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The AA team, as usual, did exceptional work. WDI still excels here. But, the best figures are so expensive that we can’t actually get rides with dozens of actual AAs any more.

And no one seems to have noticed that part of what many loved about Splash was how cute the secondary characters were, especially their voices. They made Splash really charming.

I wish they had recorded some vocals for the new characters.
All these teams need direction and vision. They made the technical parts work nicely but it seem like there was no one shaping the overall direction of the project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom