News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

TalkToEthan

It is DEEPLY concerning to me that current Imagineers have the hubris to have Tony f-in’ Baxter in a room, hear his advice, and say, “thanks, but ……..

……….and then toss them aside?
IMG_1376.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most popular ride? Did anyone ever rope drop Splash? Did Splash’s lightning lanes sell out before all the other rides on Genie+?

I hope they’ll update some other woefully outdated attractions next, like Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise (at least give us better speakers so we can better enjoy the humour).
Splash is one of the greatest rides ever built by WDI…top 5 at a minimum. It’s been incredibly popular with long lines for 30+ years.

Frankly…you don’t seem to get what you’re talking about here…
Asking about lightning lanes and genie ? A mongrel system that’s 2 years old? 🙄

Let me fill this one in for you:
Yes…people ran to splash
Yes…the fastpasses were always gone
Yes…there were 2+ hour waits for that sucker for years (in medieval times before apps that post inaccurate wait times to create upsells)

Glad I could help fill in the gaps here.

Also…you want them to hack up more older rides for this kinda nonsense? That gonna make those $200 tickets more worthwhile?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t think how they spent the budget was the (main) issue. I can see where the money went—the attraction doesn’t look cheap to me, the screens notwithstanding. The biggest problem is the dull storyline, and that wouldn’t have taken a big budget to get right.

Budgets go down the hole everytime they try to shoehorn something into a retrofit. We saw it with guardians notoriously.

All that to say “new” while not adding anything.

Bob is brilliant

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s funny that my kids would constantly ask to ride Splash while at Disney but never really cared about riding Kali. It’s almost like there’s something more entertaining about the former that wasn’t there in the latter.

Sticking to flume rides, they largely dislike Dudley Do Right.
Because splash is one of the greatest rides ever built

Now in the past tense

LittleBuford

Budgets go down the hole everytime they try to shoehorn something into a retrofit. We saw it with guardians notoriously.

All that to say “new” while not adding anything.

Bob is brilliant
But they did add a lot of new and expensive things to this attraction. Even those of us who don’t like the end result can acknowledge as much. Whatever else is wrong with it, it is not a cheap (or cheap-looking) overlay.

MerlinTheGoat

From everything we can see this project has been fully financed. In the past there has been valid criticism that certain projects have been underfunded, but not the case here.
Right. And this is what they went with?
I'm curious to know the exact budget myself, but even moreso what funds went where exactly. I assume those A1000's were pricey, not sure how much they cost precisely. That's the only thing I could see significantly eating up even a large budget. There's a lot of foliage used for the ride, but much of it looks very store bought and not the hand-sculpted stylized sort seen in Splash. Then again, perhaps going with that kind of scenery actually cost more money than something more handmade in-house by Disney artists.

But it just seems like the people who worked on this ride have to be both wasteful and incompetent. There is indeed a great deal of obscene stupidity behind bringing Tony Baxter on (presumably paying him a sizable figure in the process) only to immediately anger him by telling him they don't want his ideas. Especially given the fact that he's not afraid to go around and tell everyone that he dislikes something. Sometimes on stage right to your face in a large audience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But they did add a lot of new and expensive things to this attraction. Even those of us who don’t like the end result can acknowledge as much. Whatever else is wrong with it, it is not a cheap (or cheap-looking) overlay.
But it was shoehorned into an old facility…which is always more expensive and cuts things out.

One of the complaints is the lack of AAs/scenes compared to splash? Budget would affect that.

First rule of construction: it’s ALWAYS much more expensive lb for lb to retrofit over building new. Guaranteed.

ToTBellHop

I'm curious to know the exact budget myself, but even moreso what funds went where exactly. I assume those A1000's were pricey, not sure how much they cost precisely. That's the only thing I could see significantly eating up even a large budget. There's a lot of foliage used for the ride, but much of it looks very store bought and not the hand-sculpted stylized sort seen in Splash. Then again, perhaps going with that kind of scenery actually cost more money than something more handmade in-house by Disney artists.

But it just seems like the people who worked on this ride have to be both wasteful and incompetent. There is indeed a great deal of obscene stupidity behind bringing Tony Baxter on (presumably paying him a sizable figure in the process) only to immediately anger him by telling him they don't want his ideas. Especially given the fact that he's not afraid to go around and tell everyone that he dislikes something. Sometimes on stage right to your face in a large audience.
I will be interested to hear Baxter’s take on this.

FettFan

The animatronics themselves look good…aside from the fact that Louis’ skin is obviously a fuzzy cloth, which makes him look like a Muppet.

But they decided to depopulate everything else. One would think that the flock of fishing “How Do You Do” storks would have meshed well into “Going Down the Bayou”, or have the Swamp Boys jamming on their log….anything to prevent the long stretches of foliage-gazing between the major set pieces.

And then there’s the travesty of the former Laughin’ Place that used to have such kinetic energy from multitudes of fountains and animated characters….now turned into Alice In Wonderland with three AA frogs and Ray’s family on a screen while you’re being gawked at by CGI Tiana and Louis.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

But it was shoehorned into an old facility…which is always more expensive and cuts things out.

One of the complaints is the lack of AAs/scenes compared to splash? Budget would affect that.

First rule of construction: it’s ALWAYS much more expensive lb for lb to retrofit over building new. Guaranteed.
Others (I can’t recall who) were saying the very opposite earlier.

Does anyone here have definitive information on this matter?

Incomudro

I doubt they are because their reasons for why they wanted Splash to go were not really dependent upon whatever replaced it.

The fact of the matter is Splash Mountain made a lot of people uncomfortable and has for years, but until that conversation gained traction, they weren't comfortable talking about it for fear of the exact kind of response it ended up getting. I'm much happier knowing that something that actively made people feel uncomfortable is gone from Disney. There's no place for something like that in the parks.

Like I said above, that isn't to say that you have to be satisfied with Tiana's. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. If you think Splash shouldn't be gone, then think that. But please don't diminish the feeling that people of color had in regards to an attraction that is based upon something that was incredibly insensitive to the point that it caused a stir all the way back in the 1940s when it came out.

I think we can all agree that nobody deserves to feel uncomfortable at Disney because of something their attractions present that hasn't aged well..

I hope they continue to fix some other attractions in their portfolio that inspire those same feelings. Som don't even require rethemes or redoes, just removing certain elements such as that alarmingly racist Chinese puppet from the Pinocchio ride at Disneyland

What is most concerning to me here is that this wasn’t done on the cheap, so they had enough money to do a lot. How do so many people get together and decide THIS is the storyline? Further, they’ve lost a lot of talent recently, but many of those departed Imagineers still love the parks and would gladly provide advice. It is DEEPLY concerning to me that current Imagineers have the hubris to have Tony f-in’ Baxter in a room, hear his advice, and say, “thanks, but I think we are gonna go in another direction.”

That’s appalling.

And it makes me concerned for other projects. Will they ignore Rohde’s advice on Tropical Americas?

You have these members of your creative team that you elevate to god-like status in your fan communities and then toss them aside? It makes no sense. You can’t start every freakin’ DPB article with “Because Walt Disney once said, ‘…’” if you have no intention of upholding the old standard.
Kind of sums up the attitude of many of today's people in creative areas who think they know better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom