News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

lightningtap347

What is to say that TBA isn’t going to be just as popular? It isn’t open yet. The majority of people who’re going to get on it aren’t watching a YouTube POV just as they haven’r been following construction.

If it proves to be a flop with guests then I’ll be the first to admit it. But, and I’m genuinely asking, what are you all going to say if it does prove to be successful? What’s gonna be your argument then?
I think it'll be popular in that it's something to do and that a water ride in Florida will be popular.

I don't think this will move the needle of selling vacations, DVC, things like that. And I think that's a metric that could determine whether or not this was an immediate success.

I'd be interested to see how popular it will be (if it will be) in the cold season. This will greatly test exactly how popular the ride is, as when the water and cooling off isn't the main selling point you have to actively choose to ride it based on the other merits alone.

Mr. Sullivan

I think it'll be popular in that it's something to do and that a water ride in Florida will be popular.

I don't think this will move the needle of selling vacations, DVC, things like that. And I think that's a metric that could determine whether or not this was an immediate success.

I'd be interested to see how popular it will be (if it will be) in the cold season. This will greatly test exactly how popular the ride is, as when the water and cooling off isn't the main selling point you have to actively choose to ride it based on the other merits alone.
I agree, that’ll be the test. We’re just not seeing it yet, so I guess what I’m really driving at to those who’re already declaring it a failure based on how they feel about it is we just have to wait and see. And if it proves to be a success, then what does the conversation become?

The Mom

Premium Member
Please remember the thread guidelines. This is NOT a discussion about Splash Mountain, especially the reasons that it was changed because that discussion violates the rule against politics/social issues.

There have also been many posts insulting/attacking/general rudeness to other posters. Again, not tolerated.

Further instances will result in posters being put in time out.

Ayla

That isn't a great metric, since Splash wasn't popular when it was cold, either. I remember plenty of 5 min waits posted on cooler days (keeping in mind it usually went down for its annual refurb for most of them).

lightningtap347

That isn't a great metric, since Splash wasn't popular when it was cold, either. I remember plenty of 5 min waits posted on cooler days (keeping in mind it usually went down for its annual refurb for most of them).
Sure - I think that's why if it exhibits extreme outlier behavior in terms of lines in seasons when it shouldn't have any it would provide good indication that it is overtly popular. If the line behavior acts like Splash entirely though, it's kinda a wash at that point.

I think they'll consider it a success if the line behaves the same just because they are able to move merchandise on an IP they want in the parks. The ride well have to drastically underperform/be outright rejected by everyone to truly be considered a failure, which I just don't see happening.

CaptinEO

To each there own, but I realize that Splash is gone and I totally accept that (but I do hope Tokyo keeps theirs forever even if I never visit that park). My main concern is that the company takes the feedback - good and bad really - and understands that and uses it in the future in terms of developing rides. And, quite frankly, I hope they realize that making changes for knee jerk reasons and being more concerned about optics over quality storytelling is not the best way to run a theme park or entertainment company in general.
Unfortunately Disney doesn't really acknowledge failure. Lots of egos at play. Likely the creative team on this ride is doing a victory lap about how they made such great work.

They will likely attack and blame the fans rather than accept criticism.

It's been 5 years now and they haven't attempted to address Galaxy's Edge criticism.

Star Cruiser criticism during development and opening was also never acknowledged and they just were happy to operate it until it failed than address criticism.

It will take new leadership cycling through to make changes, as the egos of the creatives involved in these projects are fragile and they are all current employees.

Figments Friend

Let us all join hands , and pray to the Tiki Gods that at the very least the Disneyland version of this Attraction will be the better version.

( Re-enacts the scene from the ‘Princess & The Frog’ film )

”Pleasepleasepleaseplease please PLEASE….!”

🌟

-

Mr. Sullivan

I guess we know why Disney is still begging OLC to change their ride. If it ever does change, all I can hope is that OLC does it even better. Thing is, that will the same project leaders be in charge of it or will someone else?
I definitely think Tokyo’s should change sometime in the future but honestly would love to see it be a different property. Not because I dislike Tiana, love her, but honestly I think TDL needs more of what the other international castle parks get a lot of which is something unique to specifically them.

Dranth

Just wanted to chime in real quick and mention something that has been on my mind the last few days.

What I think many of us long term fans have to keep in mind is that each passing generation has different ideals and interests. I find a lot of those ideas borderline foreign to me. They make no sense and actively make things worse in my mind. Then I remember that I thought the same thing about generations before me and my parents thought the same thing about generations before them and so on and so on. Obviously no one group is a complete monolith but the general trend still stands.

I bring that up because the general theme park going public of today is a different makeup than it was 20 years ago and has different sensibilities. For example, a ride with no tension or stakes could be perfectly acceptable to many of the millennial and younger groups while Gen X and over will mostly find it boring.

All that to say that yes, the general public will likely really enjoy this and the group coming up that has little, or no memories of Slash will likely love it. I am also sure it will sell a lot of merch and make Disney a good bit of money.

As for TBA itself, this isn't the first time I've looked at something Disney has done and thought I'm just not the target audience anymore. I hope it is better in person but from the videos I have seen it looks boring and devoid of any real character or charm. I'm also not a fan of how disjointed it feels or the need to overexplain everything going on with dialog or signs. All that said, I still want to see it in person before making a final judgement but it hasn't made a good first impression.

lightningtap347

I guess we know why Disney is still begging OLC to change their ride. If it ever does change, all I can hope is that OLC does it even better. Thing is, that will the same project leaders be in charge of it or will someone else?
Just looking at the size of the facility in Japan, the pristine condition it's in, as well as how extremely popular it is, I couldn't honestly imagine it being changed. Especially not with this. That would be a unanimously unpopular opinion in Japan.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
I definitely think Tokyo’s should change sometime in the future but honestly would love to see it be a different property. Not because I dislike Tiana, love her, but honestly I think TDL needs more of what the other international castle parks get a lot of which is something unique to specifically them.
OLC is in the process of reimagining everything they have to be unique (nothing that exists OR HAS EXISTED in any other park). That's why Space is getting reimagined, that's why Buzz is getting redone, etc. Splash is on the horizon for a reimagining, although I've heard they're simply considering doing the same as with Space and tearing it down and building a bigger/better version of the same story. Same with the castle, there's a very good chance that it will be reimagined sometime down the road

IanDLBZF

OLC is in the process of reimagining everything they have to be unique (nothing that exists OR HAS EXISTED in any other park). That's why Space is getting reimagined, that's why Buzz is getting redone, etc. Splash is on the horizon for a reimagining, although I've heard they're simply considering doing the same as with Space and tearing it down and building a bigger/better version of the same story. Same with the castle, there's a very good chance that it will be reimagined sometime down the road
So my guess is that Tokyo will be getting Tiana‘s Bayou adventure after all

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
So my guess is that Tokyo will be getting Tiana‘s Bayou adventure after all
As I literally just said, they're at the moment planning to redo Splash. Same story as it was, just bigger and better. Still Splash, just a different ride. They know the popularity of it, they're not gonna get rid of the story, they're just going to make the overall experience better with updated technology, a bigger drop, etc. Also, AFAIK, the plan for this is to wait until 2027 when Space is back open to close their Splash, as they don't want two iconic rides torn down at the same time

MerlinTheGoat

Splash Archive said some pages back that OLC won't be changing theirs. Good. Hopefully they hold onto that sanity. They have zero reason to do so.
Here's the post-

I warned you guys, OLC will NOT budge on changing their Splash Mountain. Hope to make it out there soon

Trauma

What is to say that TBA isn’t going to be just as popular? It isn’t open yet. The majority of people who’re going to get on it aren’t watching a YouTube POV just as they haven’r been following construction.

If it proves to be a flop with guests then I’ll be the first to admit it. But, and I’m genuinely asking, what are you all going to say if it does prove to be successful? What’s gonna be your argument then?
Since your measure of success will be the ride has a long line I won’t have an argument.

Since every big ride Disney builds always has a long line everything they do is perfect.

It will also sell more merch since they basically pulled all Splash merch years ago.

What a stunning achievement of imagineering!!

Mr. Sullivan

Since your measure of success will be the ride has a long line I won’t have an argument.

Since every big ride Disney builds always has a long line everything they do is perfect.

It will also sell more merch since they basically pulled all Splash merch years ago.

What a stunning achievement of imagineering!!
Please drop the sarcasm and try and give a serious response. I’m attempting to have a genuine conversation and legitimately get your thoughts.

I’m not talking about just the line being long. I’m talking about guests riding it and liking it and that being reflected in the guest experience data that was earlier getting used in favor of Splash. I’m talking about it developing its own fans who it means a lot to. I’m talking about ALL the metrics of success that we use to determine if something hits or doesn’t.

If Tiana’s proves to be successful in those ways, then what? What’s going to be the argument then? What are those saying its a colossal failure before it’s even open going to move to if it shows that it isn’t?

What I’m getting at is sometimes you just gotta divorce personal opinion from the reality of the situation rather than insisting that your opinion is going to be the winner and then getting frustrated when it isn’t. Sure you may never like the ride (though I would hope you’re going to do your due diligence and try it in person rather than basing this all on photographs and a crappy POV video), but are you even going to be willing if the time comes to just finally say “its not for me, but I’m glad people are enjoying it.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom