News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Mr. Sullivan

It’s pretty exceptional.
Thank you! I've enjoyed other parts of the forum, thankfully, this has just been a huge red flag and Im glad to hear its not all like that

Unfortunately there are quite a handful of regular posters who regularly bash, dismiss and just straight up bring down the conversation every chance they get. I would suggest a heavy use of the ignore feature.
Thank you for letting me know, I didn't even know there was an ignore feature. That would've saved me a great deal of time through all this lmao

JohnD

From the desk of Forbes.com...
I don't know whether to "like" for mentioning @wdwmagic and quoting posters or be sad for verifying our reception of the ride through.

Mr. Sullivan

I think the frustration and ire is because Disney was once held to a higher standard which is why we all became fans of the parks. But for the past decade or so, Disney has been consistently shoddy with cheap rethemes. So far it has been retheming an attraction with some objective issues like Maelstrom, Stormrider, Screamin, DCA's TOT (even though this was my favourite version of the ride), Snow White, etc. So people can argue that the storytelling isn't up to Disney quality, but people could also shrug and point out that the attraction it replaced needed some adjustments.

This is the first time they have messed with a beloved classic since Tiki Room, and Splash is far more beloved by guests. And while many were vocal about their worries considering Disney's history of lackluster rethemes, these were always dismissed by the hopeful crowd on here. And every time a new element was confirmed and seemed off, the critical crowd would point to these as evidence that we should be worried, but they were still waved away by those who cheerlead for Disney and told "wait until you ride it to form an opinion." The whole "we don't know the whole thing" excuse kept being used time and time again to squash all objective discussion of this project.

And now that we have the full attraction available...it turns out the criticisms were appropriate. And many of the folks who kept shouting down criticisms are now expressing their own dissatisfaction. I'm not a doom and gloomer, but it is annoying to have pointed out many of the issues years ago and been told my complaints and observations aren't valid only now that we are officially stuck with this, now we can all say the same thing.

There's nit-picking and there's wearing rose-coloured glasses. Maybe we need to start listening to the folks in-between.
I want to be clear here in that I don't think this attraction doesn't have things that are worth criticizing, just I don't think there's nothing worth criticizing about the parks as a whole as of late. There's plenty. Just because I greatly enjoy what I've seen of TBA doesn't mean that I think it's immune to criticism.

(That isn't aimed at you specifically, just a general statement as I've been accused all over lately of Disney shilling lmao)

My issue with this attraction, and this thread in particular, is the hostility that's come with the criticisms. It's rare someone who dislikes this attraction and what they've seen of it can speak on it without a condescending, holier than tho, I know better than you attitude and it's been such a huge turn off. I would love to engage in some respectful discourse about it and discuss different points of view because varying opinions are what makes these parks so great. There's something for everyone to love even if they dislike something else within the parks.

This ride has just inspired such vitriolic behavior that's gone so far beyond that kind of discourse. The 'I told you so' of it all, and even people still saying they like it now that we've seen the whole thing being talked to like they're idiots for feeling that way, or idiots for saying they didn't particularly love the attraction that came before it. That's what's been so upsetting.

Thankfully this forum has devolved into the genuine racist dogwhistling that exists on Twitter and Reddit about this that has nothing to do with the ride itself's content or look, just the mere basis for what it is and what it replaces. If it were that I'd have just left this forum as soon as I found it.

I just hope as time passes and we get further out from opening that the people who've spent the last year taking this horrifically condescending attitude and engaged with people who like it as if they're less than or unintelligent mellow out and can just ignore the attraction if they don't like it. It's really not fun to say that you're happy with something and then have half a dozen people quote you ask "how could you possibly be?" "why are you willing to let disney degrade?" etc

Again not aimed at you directly, you've (that I've seen anyway) not been rude to people who like it. Just wanted to explain why this has been such a disheartening experience.

Trauma

How am I trolling?
I apologize it’s been an upsetting day.

Your comments came off as if you somehow speak for the general public and you know what they are going to love.

I would argue that the Disney video is making its way out into the general public and is being received just about as well as the StarCruiser debacle.

This weird argument that because the ride has long rides it means it’s a success, isn’t sitting well with me.

It’s a Mountain ride in the Magic Kingdom. It would probably have long lines if it had no theming at all. I don’t see how that is an indicator of ride quality.

Welcome to the forums and I hope in our future interactions I am able to conduct myself with better decorum.

Splash was a very special ride for me so it hurts to see people write off its loss as “Who cares it will still have lines.”

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

if the whole adventure is collecting muscians (the signs on the construction walls point to the fact that she needed to book a band before they all get booked up) the shrinking is just another stop to pick up the band members. tiana and louis are bouncing in the screen to a beat

this frog in the laughing place

View attachment 788328

is the same movement and styling as the finale

View attachment 788327
Looks like a little mermaid special to me. Goody.

James Alucobond

I don't know whether to "like" for mentioning @wdwmagic and quoting posters or be sad for verifying our reception of the ride through.
Honestly, I find quoting forum, Reddit, X, or Discord chatter to simply be indicative of bad journalism, particularly when you know the audience you’re quoting is comprised of vanishingly few people who have even ridden the ride.

Mr. Sullivan

THIS! And I hope whoever thought of that petition who's now seeing the end result is now regretting that decision.
I doubt they are because their reasons for why they wanted Splash to go were not really dependent upon whatever replaced it.

The fact of the matter is Splash Mountain made a lot of people uncomfortable and has for years, but until that conversation gained traction, they weren't comfortable talking about it for fear of the exact kind of response it ended up getting. I'm much happier knowing that something that actively made people feel uncomfortable is gone from Disney. There's no place for something like that in the parks.

Like I said above, that isn't to say that you have to be satisfied with Tiana's. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. If you think Splash shouldn't be gone, then think that. But please don't diminish the feeling that people of color had in regards to an attraction that is based upon something that was incredibly insensitive to the point that it caused a stir all the way back in the 1940s when it came out.

I think we can all agree that nobody deserves to feel uncomfortable at Disney because of something their attractions present that hasn't aged well..

I hope they continue to fix some other attractions in their portfolio that inspire those same feelings. Som don't even require rethemes or redoes, just removing certain elements such as that alarmingly racist Chinese puppet from the Pinocchio ride at Disneyland.

JohnD

I want to be clear here in that I don't think this attraction doesn't have things that are worth criticizing, just I don't think there's nothing worth criticizing about the parks as a whole as of late. There's plenty. Just because I greatly enjoy what I've seen of TBA doesn't mean that I think it's immune to criticism.

(That isn't aimed at you specifically, just a general statement as I've been accused all over lately of Disney shilling lmao)

My issue with this attraction, and this thread in particular, is the hostility that's come with the criticisms. It's rare someone who dislikes this attraction and what they've seen of it can speak on it without a condescending, holier than tho, I know better than you attitude and it's been such a huge turn off. I would love to engage in some respectful discourse about it and discuss different points of view because varying opinions are what makes these parks so great. There's something for everyone to love even if they dislike something else within the parks.

This ride has just inspired such vitriolic behavior that's gone so far beyond that kind of discourse. The 'I told you so' of it all, and even people still saying they like it now that we've seen the whole thing being talked to like they're idiots for feeling that way, or idiots for saying they didn't particularly love the attraction that came before it. That's what's been so upsetting.

Thankfully this forum has devolved into the genuine racist dogwhistling that exists on Twitter and Reddit about this that has nothing to do with the ride itself's content or look, just the mere basis for what it is and what it replaces. If it were that I'd have just left this forum as soon as I found it.

I just hope as time passes and we get further out from opening that the people who've spent the last year taking this horrifically condescending attitude and engaged with people who like it as if they're less than or unintelligent mellow out and can just ignore the attraction if they don't like it. It's really not fun to say that you're happy with something and then have half a dozen people quote you ask "how could you possibly be?" "why are you willing to let disney degrade?" etc

Again not aimed at you directly, you've (that I've seen anyway) not been rude to people who like it. Just wanted to explain why this has been such a disheartening experience.
Here we go again. Criticism of an attraction whose protagonist is African American doesn't make it "racist." It's been stated here numerous times that Splash as an attraction was a master of storytelling. While sad to see it go, we've understood the reasoning for the retheme. It just better live up to the standards of it's predecessor. Numerous observations here and elsewhere are that it hasn't.

Mr. Sullivan

I apologize it’s been an upsetting day.

Your comments came off as if you somehow speak for the general public and you know what they are going to love.

I would argue that the Disney video is making its way out into the general public and is being received just about as well as the StarCruiser debacle.

This weird argument that because the ride has long rides it means it’s a success, isn’t sitting well with me.

It’s a Mountain ride in the Magic Kingdom. It would probably have long lines if it had no theming at all. I don’t see how that is an indicator of ride quality.

Welcome to the forums and I hope in our future interactions, I am able to conduct myself with better decorum.

Splash was a very special ride for me so it hurts to see people write off its loss as “Who cares it will still have lines.”
I appreciate the apology.

No, I do not mean to speak for the whole public, I could never. I just have a hunch that there's going to be an entirely new generation of people that come to this ride and love it and it's going to mean just as much to them as Splash did to others. And I really hate the idea that those people are potentially going to face what I described in another post above which is being forced to justify their happiness or made to feel stupid for enjoying it. Similar to how the fans of the Star Wars sequels were made to feel by older fans for enjoying those films.

I'm all for a difference of opinion and would never demand someone like a ride they just don't. But I most certainly don't believe that someone should be bullied, talked down to, or made to feel dumb because their opinion doesn't align with another and that's unfortunately been the popular course to take with this ride.

As much as the ones who dislike Tiana may feel as if the ones who like it are pushing against them, there're those of us who've liked it that have been treated horribly for it all over the internet by the Disney fandom because of the collective outrage that's followed it all.

I can understand why you're upset. I just hope you can understand how some of the response from you and others who are upset are making others feel as a result of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom