News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Chi84

Premium Member
I doubt they are because their reasons for why they wanted Splash to go were not really dependent upon whatever replaced it.

The fact of the matter is Splash Mountain made a lot of people uncomfortable and has for years, but until that conversation gained traction, they weren't comfortable talking about it for fear of the exact kind of response it ended up getting. I'm much happier knowing that something that actively made people feel uncomfortable is gone from Disney. There's no place for something like that in the parks.

Like I said above, that isn't to say that you have to be satisfied with Tiana's. If you don't like it, then you don't like it. If you think Splash shouldn't be gone, then think that. But please don't diminish the feeling that people of color had in regards to an attraction that is based upon something that was incredibly insensitive to the point that it caused a stir all the way back in the 1940s when it came out.

I think we can all agree that nobody deserves to feel uncomfortable at Disney because of something their attractions present that hasn't aged well..

I hope they continue to fix some other attractions in their portfolio that inspire those same feelings. Som don't even require rethemes or redoes, just removing certain elements such as that alarmingly racist Chinese puppet from the Pinocchio ride at Disneyland.
You haven’t been following, but the mods have asked us to stay away from any social or political commentary.

Mr. Sullivan

Here we go again. Criticism of an attraction whose protagonist is African American doesn't make it "racist."
I didn't say that it did?

If you read what I was saying and responded to, I was purely speaking about the reasons for the petition. Of course criticism of the ride isn't inherently racist. That isn't at all what I was saying and I'd never suggest something like that because it isn't based in reality. I was speaking to those who were bemoaning the petition to remove the ride.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

From the desk of Forbes.com...
However, at the start of this month Disney's public relations team tore up that script when it released a full point of view ride-through of one of its most eagerly-awaited attractions, Tiana's Bayou Adventure.
Articles are calling it "eagerly awaited", the Splash hate was always there.

Vclguy90

Is this the quote from the imagineer lady in the travel channel episode?
Kathy Mangum? Yea, she walked into the Blue Sky session, sat down at the table and had a croissant with a coffee. About 15 minutes in to listening to these clowns she got up and said "you guys obviously don't know what you're doing and this is so dumb," dropped her badge and peeled out the parking lot.

Trauma

I appreciate the apology.

No, I do not mean to speak for the whole public, I could never. I just have a hunch that there's going to be an entirely new generation of people that come to this ride and love it and it's going to mean just as much to them as Splash did to others. And I really hate the idea that those people are potentially going to face what I described in another post above which is being forced to justify their happiness or made to feel stupid for enjoying it. Similar to how the fans of the Star Wars sequels were made to feel by older fans for enjoying those films.

I'm all for a difference of opinion and would never demand someone like a ride they just don't. But I most certainly don't believe that someone should be bullied, talked down to, or made to feel dumb because their opinion doesn't align with another and that's unfortunately been the popular course to take with this ride.

As much as the ones who dislike Tiana may feel as if the ones who like it are pushing against them, there're those of us who've liked it that have been treated horribly for it all over the internet by the Disney fandom because of the collective outrage that's followed it all.

I can understand why you're upset. I just hope you can understand how some of the response from you and others who are upset are making others feel as a result of it.
I don’t think people are stupid for liking Tiana’s.

I am not trying to bully anyone.

The general consensus surrounding Splash was that it was top tier if not a masterpiece.

The general consensus surrounding Tiana is that it’s very average.

That doesn’t mean that individuals don’t have different viewpoints wildly varying from the consensus opinion.

It does mean on average that the Magic Kingdom experience has been lessened.

That alone should be concerning considering everything else they have been downgrading.

Earlie the Pearlie

Screen Shot 2024-06-02 at 8.23.33 PM.png

Well, on the bright side, my reaction score went up today!

Florida Man

Kathy Mangum? Yea, she walked into the Blue Sky session, sat down at the table and had a croissant with a coffee. About 15 minutes in to listening to these clowns she got up and said "you guys obviously don't know what you're doing and this is so dumb," dropped her badge and peeled out the parking lot.
Is that a true story? That sounds so awesome. Is there a book or something about this?

Prince-1

The general consensus surrounding Splash was that it was top tier if not a masterpiece.

That doesn’t mean that individuals don’t have different viewpoints wildly varying from the consensus opinion.

That alone should be concerning considering everything else they have been downgrading.

You are basing your flawed opinion on the smallest sample size of people who are saying anything about the ride. The overwhelming majority of people who will be visiting MK have no clue what this ride looks like, and I would guess that the majority of them are going to enjoy it.

JohnD

It had a ride system that masterfully matched the story it was telling, which is what has to some extent been lost in the transition, similar to what we saw happen with FEA. The overarching narrative and script weren’t anything special.
So you're making excuses now that it's impossible with a retheme because of the existing track. Really? Others have said you could have Dr. Faciellier before the final drop to build up tension, for example. There could have been more storytelling in the initial segment about rounding up the band. Instead there are just separate bands playing and empty spaces. They had many narrative choices and, to reference another poster, made a longer version of NRJ. Screens and AAs scattered about with no cohesive narrative.

Mr. Sullivan

Right but the general point I’m trying to make is that there’s many who don’t believe that the MK experience has been lessened, or that Tiana’s is just average, or don’t think Splash was any more than a fun ride with some cute scenes rather than a pinnacle of imagineering.

And while those opinions differ from the “consensus” (and I don’t that that is the consensus outside fan circles) that doesn’t mean that the people who hold them ought to face the ridicule they do.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
From the desk of Forbes.com...
Ouch. Almost like the first half of the article was in the can, then reality set in.

James Alucobond

So you're making excuses now that it's impossible with a retheme because of the existing track. Really? Others have said you could have Dr. Faciellier before the final drop to build up tension, for example. There could have been more storytelling in the initial segment about rounding up the band. Instead there are just separate bands playing and empty spaces. They had many narrative choices and, to reference another poster, made a longer version of NRJ. Screens and AAs scattered about with no cohesive narrative.
I didn’t make an excuse. Where did I say that it couldn’t have been done better? Not sure why everyone’s in attack mode. Yeesh.

Trauma

You are basing your flawed opinion on the smallest sample size of people who are saying anything about the ride. The overwhelming majority of people who will be visiting MK have no clue what this ride looks like, and I would guess that the majority of them are going to enjoy it.
Well when the only sample size we have is trending extremely negative and it contains near half a million people. I would say that is not a good start.

People made the same arguments for StarCruiser and we know how that went.

I don’t understand the argument.

Is it something like the general public is too stupid to understand the difference between amazing and average so who cares ?

I was the general public many years ago and I sure as heck could tell the difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom