News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

It’s pretty wild how quickly some went from “this will be a world class attraction featuring the best of our company befitting a Disney Princess” to “lots of people will ride it because what else are they going to do in the world’s busiest park lulz”
Pretty wild how no one here really said either of those things, yet that’s the reductive summary that lives in your head.

seabreezept813

Did someone hand out talking points to the Sheild?

They all show up at once with:

The ride will have long lines so that’s all that matters.

Thru the eyes of a 4 year old the ride is great!

Well those seems like some great reasons to destroy Splash.

It all makes sense to me now.
Haha Splash was my favorite ride of all time. But nothing could replace it, so might as well let my kids enjoy this new whatever it is.. I’m honestly looking forward to the bromide smell and the view of MK where the birdhouses used to be. When they decided to close this, I knew to have zero expectations. I was hoping it would exceed that but from what I’m hearing it didn’t.

Tha Realest

I'm not a Tiana fan- But if I was, I'd be livid about this being the ride she got. Other than superficial "Here's Mama Odie!" "Here's Louis!" does this ride do anything to capture the heart of the film?
Those behind this attraction don’t seem to care for the film. Its basically a platform for them to concoct their own version of the character

Centauri Space Station

It is absolutely a worse scenario for MK than it is DL. Even if this ride stinks in DL, it doesn't really matter.

At MK, it was the equivalent to DL's PotC. And there are way less attractions in general. Absolute disaster.
Haunted mansion, Jungle cruise, BTM, Pirates, IASW, peoplemover, space mt. MK isn’t short on popular classic rides.

Ice Gator

You know what’s so sad too the princess and the frog is actually a really good movie… I think too many hands were in the pot here and nothing better came from this if you’re going to change a loved ride why wouldn’t you make it better..????
One of my top 3 Disney animated movies. I saw it in theaters when it released and ever since I had wanted them to return to 2-D animation every so often.

Really bummed out by how they executed the attraction. I was on-board the whole time, because I figured it’d be an upgrade from the former attraction and Tiana’s bayou fits the Frontierland vibe for me. I don’t think this ride is a total disaster because it is visually appealing, but boy- both PatF and Splash deserved a lot better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Does anyone think Disney was expecting this much backlash? I think we got used to seeing Imagineering prove audiences wrong.

Wonder if they got cocky after their triumph of recent successes where they proved that all change is not necessarily a bad thing. One example I can think of is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout.

Again, there's always going to be negative reviews to a change at first. But this is one of those special exceptions where the general reaction has been quite negative. Even content creators who have defended Disney this far for the change have been outweighing their pros with many cons.

There's no storyline. No buildup. Dead areas. Visually pretty, but you can only hide that for so long. And the opposite of that is what differs Imagineering and the Disney Parks from a Universal or Six Flags. That's why we hold them to such a high standard. Usually, each ride and attraction is handled with such artistry and care. To think Universal might top Disney next year with their new theme park finally might wake up WDI. I was never hoping to say that, but here we are. I hope they blow it out of the water because that's what is going to give us wonderful experiences from both sides in the future. It's why Cars Land was so amazing. I don't think they would have put in as much effort into Cars Land if it wasn't for Wizarding World.

Splash Mountain wasn't visually kept as it were "up to date" according to many people. But the general thrill, buildup to the drop, and catchy songs held the ride to be certified as a forever classic. Many people, like myself, put this on the Mount Rushmore of Disney attractions, one that would truly stick around from now until the end of time.

I wish that Disney had updated Splash Mountain instead of retheming it entirely. It would have shut up the naysayers who had complained about the off-putting lighting and poor state of animatronics, that Splash Mountain was a ride truly worth keeping forever. If only. Man if only. To think that now the majority of people are starting to appreciate now what was so hard for them to appreciate before is surreal.

Moral of the story is, be careful what you wish for. Especially in this era of Imagineering.
Who are you talking about?

“Proving audiences wrong”?

BrianLo

I have to take a trip every two years. It’s how DVC works.

I am trying to rent my points out instead, but nobody wants them.

Can I interest you in a stay at the Boardwalk?

Sure you are...

Boardwalk is easily rentable via any broker and in high demand. You can also resell it for likely more than you bought it for if you want.

PS: This is not a "don't go" post, but more a don't pretend like you are being forced into it. It's a shtick all the DVC addicts don't want to own up to. Everyone clearly still likes the product - especially if you continue to own their timeshare.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

I don't think Disneyland will retain all of the old AS animatronics either. Though if what Splash Archive said on Twitter is correct, there should be a few that return. How many that entails, I don't know.
Let's see... which America Sings animatronics were also featured in the Magic Kingdom version?

- The geese
- The bullfrogs
- The porcupine
- The raccoon
- Brer Roadrunner
- The possums
- The Laughin' Place weasels
- The vultures
- The Swamp Boys
- The chickens, can-can geese, and organ-playing pig on the riverboat
- Saddlesore Swanson

I wouldn't expect any of those characters to stick around for the Disneyland version. Maybe the Hitchhiking Alligator, but I'd be shocked if even HE made it in.
Given the way corporate reacted to that, I have no doubt they wouldn’t hesitate to start attacking the fans.
It'll probably be like the Little Mermaid remake - they'll just brush off everyone who hates it as racist.
- Lari adds nothing to the post-splashdown tunnel. He may be mentioned in another line of dialouge but I didn't hear it in the POV I watched.
None of the new characters actually did anything, but Lari takes the cake regarding complete non-entities. Did he even appear in any of the previous scenes? I know he's in the finale.

Also, that was clearly just a statue. Not even a limited motion figure, just a statue. I'm sorry, but that's just pathetic.
I have gotten to the point where I know what I want to experience in each park and it’s not the new stuff. It’s MuppetVision, ToT, Fantasmic, Spaceship Earth, Figment, GOTG (exception), LWTL, Tiki Room, things like that.
Yeah, I'm like that too. Most of the new stuff isn't doing much for me.
Philarmagic is highly underrated another one of my favorites. Could use some more scenes though.
I still think "randomizing" it a la Star Tours would be neat. You could even include a Princess and the Frog song or two in there.
Well, I did hear that at one point, the Laughin’ Place replacement was even more boring and an exec suggested something “more exciting”. This could explain the shrinking storyline coming out of no where and ending just as abruptly as it starts: it was shoehorned in.
You wouldn't happen to know what the original plan for the Laughin' Place scene was, do you? I'm curious.
What fans call "more exciting: Dr. Facillier causing mayhem and pulling us up the big lift.

What Disney calls "more exciting": Mondo
View attachment 788998
I mean, I do like the design of this bullfrog (he reminds me of Binya Binya from Gullah Gullah Island) but he doesn't actually DO anything.
or that Claude the Louisiana Black Bear "is frequently funny without intending to be" if none of that is reflected in the ride?
Are the black bears even still black bears? They looked brown in the ride to me.
Do we know what happened to the gophers in the ceiling?
Probably scrapped the parts, just like the other Splash Mountain animatronics.
Or.. ‘Tiana’s Bayou Adventure: With Br’er Rabbit’

So the fix for the redo is this (ala Journey Into Your Imagination ‘99 to With Figment ‘02).. Tiana’s planning her critter band party just like the first redo but she discovers a new critter has wanted to join in on the fun, Br’er Rabbit and it happens he’s looking for his laughing place.. so what better way to get a laugh than to hijack/screw up/prank Tiana’s party plans every step of the way, Tiana & Louis getting annoyed with him ala Dr. Channing until the very end when Tiana & Louis finally learn from Br’er Rabbit “Everybody’s Got a Laughin’ Place, it’s just people need to take the time to look for it.” and it ends with her, Louis, her friends, and Br’er Rabbit and some reused AAs from the previous ride laughing altogether at the end/finale

Just a way to rub salt on the wound like With Figment did on the fan complaints surrounding the redo, under the masquerade of a “return/comeback”.
I'd go on an attraction where the entire plot is Brer Rabbit tormenting Bob Iger.
There actually were plans for something like this back in the early aughts called Splash Mountain Boys that explained the whole backstory behind Splash Mountain and why Chick-A-Pin Hill got flooded.

View attachment 789075
View attachment 789076
We were robbed.
THIS! And I hope whoever thought of that petition who's now seeing the end result is now regretting that decision.
I think they have, wish they were interviewed on the media though.
I don't know if whoever started the petition was interviewed, but Frederick Chambers was.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
My friend is at Magic Kingdom tonight and they just called that it's down for the rest of the night due to technical difficulties.
Correct, fire alarms were going off at the ride. My preview is scheduled for tomorrow but cast was apparently not optimistic about reopening tomorrow.

JohnD

I have nightmares that the HM stretching room is next on the “modern retheme” chopping block… but I refuse to think about it. It’s all just a bad dream. Let the one slightly scary ride in MK keep being scary.
It's been mentioned on one of those clickbait sites as "problematic."

JohnD

Correct, fire alarms were going off at the ride. My preview is scheduled for tomorrow but cast was apparently not optimistic about reopening tomorrow.
1717371708495.jpeg

Professortango1

It wasn’t an excuse, and it wasn’t being “used” for the reason you claim.

Also, no discussion of this project has been or can be objective. We’re dealing with human reactions and emotions.
While I could never know anyone's true motives, it did feel like a majority of the "we can't judge the attraction until we see it all" was aimed at observations that contained negative criticism rather than positive.

Also, I think looking at patterns, history, and the material available can be objective. But I also think that works of art and literature can be deemed objectively bad or good or in-between when a consensus of experts occurs.

History is nuanced, but I do think it can be objective even if different schools of study color the analysis in different ways. I believe the same is possible for looking at theme park attraction design and speculation on upcoming projects by the same management teams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom