News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

griffin ferrari

For some reason they just copied the Disneyland queue which already had a compact design to fit into Critter Country, and then used all of the additional courtyard space at MK just for a bunch of outdoor bullpens. Tokyo really got lucky, I think their’s is all indoors if I’m not mistaken
Tokyo has a little outdoor part but the bulk of it is inside

Nubs70

I'm curious as to why you feel that way. The 3 in series has a higher theoretical hourly throughput and is a simpler and compact design
2 in parallel will allow for dispatch at a more consistent rate if people take too much time loading.

In a parallel system, ideally line A dispatches alternately with line B. If line A has a delayed dispatch, line B can dispatch 2 vehicles.

In a 3 line linear system, if line A has a delayed dispatch, line B and C have a delayed dispatch.

A similar analogy is the McDonald's drive thru. There are 2 ordering kiosks with 1 delivery window. If kiosk A has a delayed order, 2 orders can be processed by kiosk B.

If memory serves, the Pirates back up occurs due to the linear unload station. If there was a parallel unload station with a parallel load station, throughput could be increased.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm curious as to why you feel that way. The 3 in series has a higher theoretical hourly throughput and is a simpler and compact design
In a single channel loading area, any boats in front of the others that experience a delay will also cause the ones behind them to have to wait as well. With a dual loading zone however, if one side is delayed, the other side can still continue to move normally. Even if there are fewer loading zones on each channel. And yes this can also reduce backups at unload as well.

Here are capacity stats from marni1971 regarding WDW's Pirates of the Caribbean-

Original ride when only a single channel was open (loading one boat at a time)-
1800 guests per hour

Original ride when both channels were open-
3600 guests per hour

Current ride with the single channel (loading two boats at once)-
2480 guests per hour

Even if you increased this single channel loading area to 3 boats at once, it still wouldn't match the capacity that the original dual channel setup had. This was in spite of an extra row of seats being added to the boats in the late 80s (I don't know if the 1800/3600 number included this row as the video doesn't say, but that row was added prior to the move to a single channel regardless). From what I understand, they also had to switch to a lower amount of boats being run at once when the second channel was removed.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
I wonder if they're going to work any Hidden Mickeys into Tiana's. Maybe recycle the fishing bobber one that was in Splash? (It's tiny so nobody's gonna jump on it for being held over)
4240c9e499994950d5b45d2319f9970f.jpg

Rich Brownn

In a single channel loading area, any boats in front of the others that experience a delay will also cause the ones behind them to have to wait as well. With a dual loading zone however, if one side is delayed, the other side can still continue to move normally. Even if there are fewer loading zones on each channel. And yes this can also reduce backups at unload as well.

Here are capacity stats from marni1971 regarding WDW's Pirates of the Caribbean-

Original ride when only a single channel was open (loading one boat at a time)-
1800 guests per hour

Original ride when both channels were open-
3600 guests per hour

Current ride with the single channel (loading two boats at once)-
2480 guests per hour

Even if you increased this single channel loading area to 3 boats at once, it still wouldn't match the capacity that the original dual channel setup had. This was in spite of an extra row of seats being added to the boats in the late 80s (I don't know if the 1800/3600 number included this row as the video doesn't say, but that row was added prior to the move to a single channel regardless). From what I understand, they also had to switch to a lower amount of boats being run at once when the second channel was removed.
Of course, with the duel load, you had do account for time lost when the two boats would get stuck together right at the merge point (which happened a lot. Wasn't much fun walking to the midway ramp and using a pole with a hook to pull one boat back until they were free. All while trying not to stack the boats in the upload area.

Nubs70

Of course, with the duel load, you had do account for time lost when the two boats would get stuck together right at the merge point (which happened a lot. Wasn't much fun walking to the midway ramp and using a pole with a hook to pull one boat back until they were free. All while trying not to stack the boats in the upload area.
Proper position indicators and interlock logic can solve that.

999th Happy Haunt

I think Alicia Stella claimed that the tunnel following the dip drop (where the spinning beehives were) would have projections of Louis on the walls. But that's only the first part of the Laughing Place and never had many physical characters to begin with. At DL and Tokyo, this tunnel doesn't even have any figures at all, whereas WDW had figures of the main Brer Trio (with Brer Bear being attacked by bees). Those particular figures are located further into the Laughing Place after the final small drop at DL/Tokyo.

I didn't listen to the entire podcast, but Alicia apparently also said there would be a segment of Mama Odie shrinking guests down to tiny critter size, with the dip drop being used as the "effect" for that transformation, and the final lift and drop being what gets us back to normal size. While I must stress that I haven't heard anything actually contradicting this claim (I have no specific information on the Laughing Place at all to say if anything is true or not), the shrinking plotpoint just sounds so random, pointless and out of place to me. So I dunno.
Disney would never do something random, pointless and/or out of place!

TrainsOfDisney

Very interesting! So was it dual double load?
I wonder if it was a safety concern (not sure how it was set up, but if it there wasn't a barrier between boats, could be a hazard.

Tokyo's small world also has an impressive double double load
View attachment 770404
That’s the California setup only backwards (both boats exit toward the center and load from the outside).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why did they remove the dual load stations at Pirates?

And why on earth does Frozen load one of its tiny boats at a time?
Because the boats move so slowly that there's plenty of time load the next boat. At least the deboating is on a separate platform.

And the boats move slowly because most scenes are meant to be seen from its beginning, and thus a scene has to reset for the next boat. Can't have two boats in the scene with the second arriving in the middle of the scene triggered by the first boat.

Maybe after five decades, they won't care about that and just send boat after boat on top of one another. Like they now do with the first Haunted Mansion parlor scene.

ToTBellHop

Because the boats move so slowly that there's plenty of time load the next boat. At least the deboating is on a separate platform.

And the boats move slowly because most scenes are meant to be seen from its beginning, and thus a scene has to reset for the next boat. Can't have two boats in the scene with the second arriving in the middle of the scene triggered by the first boat.

Maybe after five decades, they won't care about that and just send boat after boat on top of one another. Like they now do with the first Haunted Mansion parlor scene.
It has been flawed to have such small boats load at that pace for over 3 decades. I wish they had increased capacity when they already had to rebuild load and unload. You don’t have to create scenes that must be viewed in their entirety. Other boat rides don’t. The only delay needed to be for the reverser track pieces to switch back, like any number of rides that have a backwards segment.

Of course, boats that hold more than 8 people would’ve helped. But that’s a harder to fix 1980s mistake, like The Black Cauldron and Labyrinth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom