News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

SuddenStorm

It's been explained so many times in this thread that trying to explain it again is likely not to be satisfactory for you, if it wasn't the other handful of times.

Good day.

Not sure what the point of this post was, considering you didn't respond to my comment and intentionally shut down further discussion by closing with 'Good day'. But also, why jump in and comment at all if you don't care to actually reply to my comment?

I googled 'salt mine' and nothing even close to Tiana's Bayou Adventure popped up, though I do think the aesthetic of a few salt mines would fit a horror themed attraction well. It also blends in, and doesn't have that unique flair you'd expect of a headliner's façade at Disney's flagship resort.

My post was in good faith- your reply seems like it isn't. And what's the point of a discussion board if we can't, you know, discuss?

Vegas Disney Fan

I just don't understand how this is a salt mine?
I think at this point it’s fair to say it’s not, just like it isn’t an employee owned co-op either… the ride seems to have come from the imagineers while the marketing department and DEI department came up with a completely separate backstory to try to justify the setting and to send a message.

I think the sooner people forget about the backstory the better, the impression of the ride is being dragged down by it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I googled 'salt mine' and nothing even close to Tiana's Bayou Adventure popped up, though I do think the aesthetic of a few salt mines would fit a horror themed attraction well. It also blends in, and doesn't have that unique flair you'd expect of a headliner's façade at Disney's flagship resort.

Avery Island, as the name suggests, rises above sea level due to the salt dome. It's height is 163'.

Avery Island (historically French: Île Petite Anse) is a salt dome best known as the source of Tabasco sauce. Located in Iberia Parish, Louisiana, United States, it is approximately three miles (4.8 km) inland from Vermilion Bay, which in turn opens onto the Gulf of Mexico. A small human population lives on the island.​
Avery Island is surrounded on all sides by bayous (slow-moving, muddy rivers), salt marsh, and swampland; it sits about 130 miles (210 km) west of New Orleans.[6] The island was a sugar plantation formerly known as Petite Anse Island.[2] (Petite Anse means "Little Cove" in Cajun French.) Access to the island is via a toll road (technically a very low toll bridge), though a toll is no longer charged for visitors, including tourists.​
At its highest point, the island is 163 feet (50 m) above mean sea level.[6] It covers about 2,200 acres (8.9 km2) and is about 2.5 miles (4.0 km) across at its widest point.

Also, there's Lake Peignar which is next to Jefferson Island salt dome. It is the site of the famous salt mine sink hole disaster.

Anyhoos, Jefferson "Island" salt dome is 50 feet above the surrounding land. And now, much higher than the dry lake bed caused by the sink hole.

View attachment 729857

Now, I couldn't find any resources to justify the historicity of turning people in to frogs or talking crocagators who can play horn. I'm sure all those looking for real-world evidence of what they see on a Disney ride are just as concerned about that.

donaldtoo

Does this kinda’ remind any body else here of a frog face…?!!!!! :cyclops::hilarious:

A82E03F8-F391-4BBB-952D-5D4513A82006.jpeg
F1A5AAAF-E382-4A26-844D-335B52AD0A27.jpeg

plutofan15

The same "explanations" being repeated over and over again doesn't make them any less contrived than the first time. It's safe to say that plenty of people have issues with the exterior. If you like it, then fine, but you need to get over the fact that not everyone does.

At this point, I've somewhat written off the exterior as a bit of a mess. Hopefully the night time lighting is attractive at least. It's up to the interior to determine whether this ride can be salvaged.
Using your same logic, if you think it is a mess, fine. But you need to get over the fact that not everyone does.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

MerlinTheGoat

Using your same logic, if you think it is a mess, fine. But you need to get over the fact that not everyone does.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I'm not the one who keeps replying to people with the same aggressive comments claiming people are stupid and wrong for liking or disliking it. I even literally said it's fine if people do like it.

MerlinTheGoat

I wonder if they got rid of the patch of grass because they realized how dumb it looked.
I'm like 99% sure that they just haven't completed the foliage in that area yet. The space where that swamp foliage is supposed to go is where that green railing people were discussing recently is located. And a lot of construction workers have been around that area lately. Perhaps using it to inspect the big drop as boats go down or whatever.

There's a lot of water lilies, reeds etc that aren't installed yet either. They've basically only done the really large roots and tree trunks that required the most substantial anchoring into the concrete base. I don't think there's any chance they'll leave that space empty and devoid of all the foliage seen in the models/art. That would look a lot more dumb than finishing what they intended.

1709143962288.png

1709144127385.png

Last edited:

plutofan15

I'm not the one who keeps replying to people with the same aggressive comments claiming people are stupid and wrong for liking or disliking it. I even literally said it's fine if people do like it.
What is your point? Saying that people "need to get over it" seems rather aggressive to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you think it looks like a mess, fine. If others think it looks great, fine as well. Myself, I have not seen it since December when it was buried in scaffolding so I really can't say.

MerlinTheGoat

What is your point? Saying that people "need to get over it" seems rather aggressive to me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you think it looks like a mess, fine. If others think it looks great, fine as well. Myself, I have not seen it since December when it was buried in scaffolding so I really can't say.
I have been engaged in this thread since it began. Literally no one here has attempted to force someone into disliking it. But the opposite has occurred where people who do like it have dogpiled and insulted the other side as stupid to try and force them into changing their minds. My comment to "get over" opposing opinions is polite and reasonable by comparison, simply an appeal to common sense and basic courtesy.

_caleb

I have been engaged in this thread since it began. Literally no one here has attempted to force someone into disliking it. But the opposite has occurred where people who do like it have dogpiled and insulted the other side as stupid to try and force them into changing their minds. My comment to "get over" opposing opinions is polite and reasonable by comparison, simply an appeal to common sense and basic courtesy.
Where has anyone tried to force anyone else to change their minds? Do you mean something more like, "convince people to reconsider their initial perspective?"

MerlinTheGoat

Where has anyone tried to force anyone else to change their minds? Do you mean something more like, "convince people to reconsider their initial perspective?"
Continually replying to the same people over and over again with the same contrived explanations, when said people already said that they don't consider the explanation remotely acceptable or believable. Then calling into question their intelligence for not agreeing and saying "good day" with any further commentary now invalid and moot. Come on now, if that's not trying to bully and force someone into changing their opinion, I don't know what is...

I have no qualms with people who like or dislike what they did with the exterior. If someone looks at it and thinks it doesn't look right, it's not really anyone's business to try and convince them otherwise. It's Disney's job to try and convince people that something looks correct and plausible. And not through ridiculously contrived backstories, but by just looking at the something and being able to understand and believe it.

I will throw my own hat into the discussion to say that the exterior doesn't remotely resemble any of the examples posted. At all-

1709149272943.jpeg

1709149259351.jpeg

These look NOTHING alike. And the thing is, i'm not even mad that it doesn't resemble those landmarks. As weird as the exterior currently looks, nothing about those real landmarks look like they would make for good and interesting fits for a theme park attraction either.

My biggest pet peeve is still the top of the structure being completely bald. Far too late for this, but they really should have gone with at least some variant of Mama Odie's tree and boat up there. Even if it needed to go through some conceptual/structural revisions to be built (the boat being moved down and embedded into the mouth of the cavern would have made even more sense and also taken a lot of weight off the tree). Just scrap the entire Avery Island and salt dome stuff entirely. It wouldn't have really fixed ALL of the problems entirely, but at the very least it would have been somewhat better...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom