News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

SuddenStorm

The part that always destroyed any forced perspective for Splash for me was the tree on top. No true mountain would have a tree trunk of that scale on top. It always looked like exactly what it was to me: an 87-foot high hill with a fake tree on top. It never looked like a 1000-foot tall mountain as some suggest.

It's worth mentioning that the tree stump existed because of the film-

1705465043304.png

Of course it wasn't realistic- it was based off of a cartoon that was based on an African folktale.

Whether the structure worked with forced perspective is debatable, but the tree did define the facade and give it something uniquely Disney- whereas the TBA facade would be at home in any regional theme park.

1705465239598.png

SuddenStorm

As Disney continues to finish the TBA facade, any comparison between it and Splash is inevitable.

Otherwise, this thread would just be people posting construction photos and us all saying 'Welp, looks like there's more moss!' with no actual discussion.

yensidtlaw1969

As Disney continues to finish the TBA facade, any comparison between it and Splash is inevitable.

Otherwise, this thread would just be people posting construction photos and us all saying 'Welp, looks like there's more moss!' with no actual discussion.

Considering that's basically what the site owner requests in the Original Post, that might be an improvement:

This thread will serve to update on construction progress, new storyline details, and other details specific to Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

It is not to discuss the merits of the retheme of Splash Mountain, please continue to use the original thread at https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...s-and-the-frog-tianas-bayou-adventure.965899/

SuddenStorm

Considering that's basically what the site owner requests in the Original Post, that might be an improvement:

I interpret that post as saying that we shouldn't discuss why the retheme should/shouldn't happen.

I don't interpret it as saying that any comparison between TBA and Splash is off limits. Saying 'Hey, I think the Splash facade did this better and here's why' or "Hey, I think the TBA facade really knocks it out of the park' is very different than saying 'Retheming this ride is the dumbest thing this company has ever done and how dare they ruin the Magic Kingdom and I'm swearing off of Dizneee forever!'

yensidtlaw1969

I interpret that post as saying that we shouldn't discuss why the retheme should/shouldn't happen.

I don't interpret it as saying that any comparison between TBA and Splash is off limits. Saying 'Hey, I think the Splash facade did this better and here's why' or "Hey, I think the TBA facade really knocks it out of the park' is very different than saying 'Retheming this ride is the dumbest thing this company has ever done and how dare they ruin the Magic Kingdom and I'm swearing off of Dizneee forever!'

Considering that comparison between TBA and Splash basically devolves every time it occurs (see the last 5 pages of this thread) I'm not sure that's really the case in practice.

If only people were actually engaging with the level of decorum you suggest. But then moderators wouldn't constantly have to be deleting posts and reminding people of the rules, which happens much more frequently in the Tiana's Bayou Adventure threads than pretty much anywhere else on this site.

pigglewiggle

Well, at least with all the background information, I will understand the story behind this new ride, even if it's a strange, not very fairytale-like story.

If pressed to say, all the years riding Splash, I really didn't have a clue what the story was about. We just enjoyed the long ride, the music and the animatronics. Obviously I have the gist of it, but if asked, I would just say a rabbit was chased down a mountain.

pigglewiggle

A crocodilian and swamp critters playing music isn't fairy-tale like?

I don't know much about the new ride besides the story I've read from Disney about Tiana's business. That's what I mean about the back story. I would imagine the ride itself will be more fun than the story - just like Splash was fun without actually knowing the story.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
When people say that Splash had "forced perspective," what do you mean by that? What part of the perspective was 'forced' (optical illusion) and how was that accomplished?
Hey Penguin!

I'm people.

Imagineering was able to do a very good job to make the scale of objects on Splash (Specifically towards the top of CPH) give the structure a sense of height (Even though it wasn't tall). This was accomplished by using carefully considered decorative elements and the crafting of the faux rock face which made the eye focus on the stump creating a sense of height.

With Tianna's Rainforest Cafe, the use of large amounts of non-scaled vegetation, specifically the flowers which now hide the rock face, along with assorted decorative elements such as the lanterns don't lead the eye anywhere and give no illusion of distance. The focal point now appears to be either the water tower or the tree in front which appear to be too tall and located too close in comparison the drop hill. The drop hill now appears to be just an afterthought, buried in the back and hidden under faux plants.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Imagineering was able to do a very good job to make the scale of objects on Splash (Specifically towards the top of CPH) give the structure a sense of height (Even though it wasn't tall). This was accomplished by using carefully considered decorative elements and the crafting of the faux rock face which made the eye focus on the stump creating a sense of height.

The forced perspective illusion in Main Street, as an example, has the second floor windows and facades be smaller than normal, giving an illusion of height. The castle does the same thing with each 'floor' being smaller and smaller.

It seems to me that WDI wanted people to look at SM from the point of view of a small critter, which is why the thorns are super-sized. So, that's a trick that works. Although... people's experience with thorn bushes vary. A thorn is not a regular measure of size that we use to gauge the relative size of everything else.

However, I'm of the opinion that the tree trunk ruins the illusion. It's there because it's there in the movie. But, it seems to make the drop small because the drop is not that much bigger than a tree stump. A tree stump is at most human height. But the one atop SM was much bigger. Which makes the drop look smaller, since the eye is seeing a drop that's barely bigger than a tree stump.

From my perspective, I've never seen the drop look amazingly bigger than it is due to forced perspective.

And I don't know why, in the retheme, the drop needs a forced perspective to make it look bigger or smaller than it actually is. Humans are on the ride, not humans shrunk to critter-size. So, letting it be what it is without forced perspective one way or another seems a perfectly fine choice to me.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The forced perspective illusion in Main Street, as an example, has the second floor windows and facades be smaller than normal, giving an illusion of height. The castle does the same thing with each 'floor' being smaller and smaller.

It seems to me that WDI wanted people to look at SM from the point of view of a small critter, which is why the thorns are super-sized. So, that's a trick that works. Although... people's experience with thorn bushes vary. A thorn is not a regular measure of size that we use to gauge the relative size of everything else.

However, I'm of the opinion that the tree trunk ruins the illusion. It's there because it's there in the movie. But, it seems to make the drop small because the drop is not that much bigger than a tree stump. A tree stump is at most human height. But the one atop SM was much bigger. Which makes the drop look smaller, since the eye is seeing a drop that's barely bigger than a tree stump.

From my perspective, I've never seen the drop look amazingly bigger than it is due to forced perspective.
From the first time that I saw Splash as a 10 year old to the last time I saw it in operation in December of 2022, it always created the feeling of excitement because of the perceived height and the anticipation of the grand finale of the ride/story at the CPH drop. The new exterior doesn't convey that. Now I'm not sure what or if there is a story to the new ride, but it just seems like on the finale of whatever they come up with, you're dropping out of a little dirt mound covered in flowers.
And I don't know why, in the retheme, the drop needs a forced perspective to make it look bigger or smaller than it actually is. Humans are on the ride, not humans shrunk to critter-size. So, letting it be what it is without forced perspective one way or another seems a perfectly fine choice to me.
It was conceived as a thrilling flume ride. The taller the drop hill is, the bigger the splash from the water cannon (before it was turned off), etc. create anticipation and a feeling of excitement. Intentionally or not, the creative interns behind this project don't seem to want to make that focus. Perhaps the off-theme/time period mural or the hand crafted weather vane was more important to them in creating this attraction.

MagicHappens1971

Haven’t we already established that Disney clearly wants the mountain to look less imposing because of the attractions new target audience? Why are we all arguing about the fact that they “ruined” the forced perspective. It was a choice

retr0gate

I consider Splash Mountain on par with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and (this is gonna be a controversial one) DINOSAUR.
Completely agree with this. It's hard to argue one is better than the other, just because they all offer vastly different experiences, but all high quality nonetheless. WDW Splash is probably one of my favorite rides of all time, but if you asked me which ride I'd consider the "best" I'd probably say DL Pirates. At the end of the day, it's all subjective.

Also, yes, Dinosaur is a god tier attraction!!

Incomudro

Right, and most of that I would agree with. "The one that topped Pirates" is a bold claim but at the end of the day, marketing is marketing. Of course they're going to make some bold claims to market what was a new attraction at the time. I'm not denying it's popularity since then, Splash has definitely earned its place among Walt Disney World's best, but I wouldn't say that it's popularity can be attributed to the Song of the South IP. Keeping that in mind, I'm not seeing any drastic changes here that would lead to a drop in quality / popularity seeing as a lot of what made Splash Mountain special in the first place is remaining intact. If Splash Mountain was truly special on its own, then I believe that what we're getting won't be better or worse because the bones are just that good.
The problem with this ride would come if it's interior turns out to be sparse, and not engaging like Splash was.
Splash was great because everywhere you looked something was going on, and the songs were great.
It was obvious that a lot of love went into making that attraction an enjoyable one for the guests.
It doesn't appear at this juncture that Tiana's is going the sparse route that people fear.
The fear is that the ride will be like Frozen.
Beyond that of course is the sad loss of something that was so beloved.

Brer Oswald

Right, and most of that I would agree with. "The one that topped Pirates" is a bold claim but at the end of the day, marketing is marketing. Of course they're going to make some bold claims to market what was a new attraction at the time. I'm not denying it's popularity since then, Splash has definitely earned its place among Walt Disney World's best, but I wouldn't say that it's popularity can be attributed to the Song of the South IP. Keeping that in mind, I'm not seeing any drastic changes here that would lead to a drop in quality / popularity seeing as a lot of what made Splash Mountain special in the first place is remaining intact. If Splash Mountain was truly special on its own, then I believe that what we're getting won't be better or worse because the bones are just that good.
While SotS is by no means a great film, I’d argue the elements Splash took from it are great, and the way they were utilized made the attraction what it was. The emotions that the story beats and soundtrack evoked were in perfect synchronization with the track design.

While it wouldn’t be impossible to do this with another IP, I don’t think it is a task as intuitive as some are making it out to be. You can already see some signs of complications with the story details that have been revealed.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
Haven’t we already established that Disney clearly wants the mountain to look less imposing because of the attractions new target audience? Why are we all arguing about the fact that they “ruined” the forced perspective. It was a choice

We've speculated this. But I think it's just as likely that the interns quarterbacking this don't know what they're doing.
I don't buy into that intention of making the attraction appeal to younger audiences because it's now a princess-based ride. Splash never had any issues attracting an audience, the drop is as pronounced as ever (squabbling about perspective changes or not) and the makeup of the ride is largely the same - cute animals being whimsical along a flume ride.

I think there are lots of reasons we're getting TBA, but I don't think one of them is the idea that younger riders will now want to ride. It's true they seem to be changed the tone of the big drop from scary to exciting (a la ToT -> Guardians), but I don't think that will impact who actually gets on to ride the ride (minus dedicated adults on Disney forums).

I think this exterior looks really nice and is much more attractive than Splash for me. Not to say the interior will be as good, but the exterior makes me want to get on and see what's inside.

Also, a lot of people impact what we get in a ride beyond imagineering - I find it sad/unfair how quickly people are willing to attack and belittle current imagineers en masse with almost no insight into their work or environment. We don't see how many drafts, suggestions, and plans imagineers present/pitch internally. They don't pick funding or have the final say on what gets built, they do the best they can within limitations. I would argue we're still getting excellent work from Imagineering in the present day, even if at a much slower pace / with a lot of budget cutting. I think RotR and Guardians are really wonderful start to finish. I know people dislike the screen-based Mickey and Minnie - but I find it so charming and fun, evoking similar feels I got first riding classic rides. The new lands they've built are beautiful and show wonderful detail (not to say they're perfect, don't need more live performers). Not trying to say the quality is the best its ever been, but come on, don't be mean just to be mean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom