News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Epcot82Guy

Let me re-open my mind here.

When this opens it has to be the greatest themed attraction on earth.

What have we seen so far that suggests that’s likely ?

I’m more than happy to review anything I may have missed.

I think you've identified the problem. This is set up for failure given the bar.

If Disney was building phase 1 of Beyond Big Thunder as brining New Orleans Square along the Rivers of America. The main attraction would be Tiana's Bayou Adventure with Tiana's Palace (as the replacement for DL's Pirates). And, this was a new build using things otherwise generally the same as they are concept-wise, I think you'd have a somewhat preachy slam dunk. The replacement factor and thematic fit are creating a lot of problems here, and I don't know that anything will reach that level (at least for a practical budget). Plussing or even meeting what is often regarded as the best attraction in all of Disney Parks is a tough standard.

Surferboy567

The exterior of the mountain/hill/salt mine/salt dome whatever you want to call it looks a lot better then Knotts. I can’t believe that’s even a debate.

I never said it was “better” then splash mountain we will have to wait to make that comparison ourselves when it opens. This is absolutely better then the off the shelf (slightly themed) fair that knotts/six flags/ cedar point provides.

Oh, and for everyone about to say “is that the quality we are comparing to“ the answer is no as I don’t believe the quality offered at the chains is even remotely close to Tiana’s exterior. The attraction inside could be good or bad but the outside is definitely quality in terms of theming.

MerlinTheGoat

Wouldn’t the more significant comparison be “this looks better than Ripsaw Falls”? Of course, that’s to be expected. I think Kali LOOKS better than Popeye, too, yet Popeye is more fun.
I would say that Knotts' Timber Mountain is the closest comparison to Splash in the world. At least that I know of. I believe it was a primary inspiration FOR Splash to begin with. And unlike Ripsaw Falls, there are some quite impressive interior scenes with a significant amount of animatronic figures. The exterior rockwork could benefit from improvement, but as far as log flumes go, it IS the second best looking log flume i've seen next to Splash.

Tiana will probably retain its position over other non-Disney log flume out there (i'll be extremely surprised if they screw it up THAT bad). But it makes the most sense to compare it to Splash itself since that's what it replaced. And I do agree with the sentiments that Splash easily stood among Disney's absolute best of the best. IMO, Disney has also yet to build anything since that can top it. Only a couple of the original Disneysea rides have come close (particularly Sinbad).

Tiana will probably still be at least a good ride on its own merits. The problem is that Disney has ensured it will be judged based on an extremely high standard of qualty that I seriously doubt it will match up to. If it in any way fails to live up to what came before it (there are already signs of this), it will always be known for having unnecessarily destroyed something that was better.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

McMickeyWorld

View attachment 763309
View attachment 763311
WDI no longer understands forced perspective. So tragic that a group of interns and box checkers have ruined something which was so carefully crafted and executed.
Personally, I never liked the façade of WDW one bit, but I have an issue with the design of the new one, mainly because of a flaw in the composition. There are too many textures vying for your attention, the same thing happens with the tones, scale, and position of the objects. nothing stands out!!!

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Please show us where Disney "confirmed" that they peaked with Splash Mountain. To say it's not only their greatest, but THE greatest themed attraction ever is extremely subjective, and that's coming from someone who is/was also a massive Splash Mountain fan.
I consider Splash Mountain on par with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and (this is gonna be a controversial one) DINOSAUR.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
How can you be a fan of something if it's not even open yet? There really isn't all that much you can gleam from what concept art and ride details they HAVE released.
The facade is quite pretty, the concept art is gorgeous, the mural is (hot take) pretty, the new queue (what's open of it) is pretty, the photos from inside are picturesque, and the lighting package is promised to look amazing. Also I was never the biggest fan of Splash, other than the facade, though I still prefer this to that.

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 763309
View attachment 763311
WDI no longer understands forced perspective. So tragic that a group of interns and box checkers have ruined something which was so carefully crafted and executed.

Those photos are not really comparable since one shows the whole attraction and the other only shows what's above the construction wall. Apples to apples would be more like this, which is a much less extreme difference:

1705454618714.png

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 8.22.06 PM.png

Second, and I think more pointedly, Splash Mountain used Forced Perspective far less than people seem to recall. The real trick with Forced Perspective is to take things of objective, knowable size and shrink them relative to the percievable size of the objects in front of them. All the objects on the Splash facade - rocks, grass, trees - come in variable sizes in nature and don't really "force" the perspective by getting smaller. For all we knew the rocks at the top of the ride were just . . . meant to be that size. Not that the effort was even made; in the above photo you can see the rocks towards the top of Chickapin Hill are bigger than the rocks towards the bottom.

Meanwhile, the topography of the facade is actually the same as before, it's just that the clay is covered in moss and the rocks are covered in plants. All they did was chop off the stump, which does make the facade shorter, but wasn't part of some carefully calibrated Forced Perspective. The thing looked big because it is big. It just had a pointy thing on top and now it doesn't. Hardly a masterclass in Forced Perspective.

Same with the drop, whose channels are perfectly parallel and have never made any effort to force the perspective of the height. The drop looks big because it is - still is.

Incomudro

Those photos are not really comparable since one shows the whole attraction and the other only shows what's above the construction wall. Apples to apples would be more like this, which is a much less extreme difference:

View attachment 763403

View attachment 763405

Second, and I think more pointedly, Splash Mountain used Forced Perspective far less than people seem to recall. The real trick with Forced Perspective is to take things of objective, knowable size and shrink them relative to the percievable size of the objects in front of them. All the objects on the Splash facade - rocks, grass, trees - come in variable sizes in nature and don't really "force" the perspective by getting smaller. For all we knew the rocks at the top of the ride were just . . . meant to be that size. Not that the effort was even made; in the above photo you can see the rocks towards the top of Chickapin Hill are bigger than the rocks towards the bottom.

Meanwhile, the topography of the facade is actually the same as before, it's just that the clay is covered in moss and the rocks are covered in plants. All they did was chop off the stump, which does make the facade shorter, but wasn't part of some carefully calibrated Forced Perspective. The thing looked big because it is big. It just had a pointy thing on top and now it doesn't. Hardly a masterclass in Forced Perspective.

Same with the drop, whose channels are perfectly parallel and have never made any effort to force the perspective of the height. The drop looks big because it is - still is.
I agree.
The only effort if you will - to aid in the illusion of height on Splash was the stump, which much like an antenna on a skyscraper added both in actual height, while also drawing the eye upward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom