News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

retr0gate

The problem with this ride would come if it's interior turns out to be sparse, and not engaging like Splash was.
Splash was great because everywhere you looked something was going on, and the songs were great.
It was obvious that a lot of love went into making that attraction an enjoyable one for the guests.
It doesn't appear at this juncture that Tiana's is going the sparse route that people fear.
The fear is that the ride will be like Frozen.
Beyond that of course is the sad loss of something that was so beloved.
While SotS is by no means a great film, I’d argue the elements Splash took from it are great, and the way they were utilized made the attraction what it was. The emotions that the story beats and soundtrack evoked were in perfect synchronization with the track design.

While it wouldn’t be impossible to do this with another IP, I don’t think it is a task as intuitive as some are making it out to be. You can already see some signs of complications with the story details that have been revealed.

These have been some of my fears as well, and although we haven't seen much, what we have seen has helped to alleviate some of them. I realize that not everybody is fond of the work they're doing to the exterior, but I think it's fair to say that whether you like it or not, they don't seem to be cheaping out on the scenery. Whether or not that level of detail will successfully translate to the interior scenes as well is yet to be seen, but I'd imagine what's there will at least match the level of quality that Splash had. Looking back at the photos they shared, it looks like it will be a lot of reused scenery and the concept art seems to imply the same. All that means nothing, however, if the sets are barren. I HOPE they don't go down the Frozen route, but I do feel confident that there will be very little (if any) dead space which was a huge problem in that attraction.

To your point @Brer Oswald , the biggest game changers for me will be the tone of the story, and the music. What we know of the backstory has not been promising to say the least. I boil a lot of it down to just bad PR, but I imagine most of the preachy co-op stuff will be relegated to the queue. Honestly? I can live with that as a buildup to the ride, and not the ride itself. I do appreciate the level of world building that goes into a project like this, but it works best when it's subtle, and subtlety is something that modern WDI seems to lack. They hit a home run with how they adapted SOTS for the ride, so I hope that they're able to do the same with PATF. A Splash Mountain with few animatronics, no conflict and forgettable music will obviously not be able to live up to its predecessor, but these are the elements of the ride that we know the least about at this point in time.

Brer Oswald

Just a musical romp through the bayou ending with "Tiana's cooking up something great at Tiana's Palace" would have been enough storyline and would not have needed all this salt mound foods factory gibberish...
I think a musical romp through the bayou with zero stakes would still be seen as a downgrade to Splash, which was probably one of the best executions of a linear storyline in a theme park attraction.

Nevertheless, if the former is what you’re looking for, it’s probably what you are going to get. I don’t expect the tone to change much at all from the “celebration” angle, which would be rather similar to Frozen.

Brer Oswald

Pay wall: https://www.nola.com/entertainment_...utm_source=reddit.com#tncms-source=featured-3

No pay wall:

Someone got a sneak peak apparently, they said Disney confirmed the animatronics will have real faces.
Interesting. Based on the description, I can place the band Critters around where the geese were, Louis where “Time to be Moving along” was, and the first Tiana where the bunnies and Time to be turning around was. That’s a lot more spaced out than I was expecting.

_caleb

Regarding the drop and perspective:
  • For Splash, the drop was from meant to be from the top of Chickapin Hill down into the briar patch at the bottom of the hill. The viewing perspective from the front was looking back up the hill from the briar patch. And apparently the viewer is critter-sized, because the briars were huge.
  • For TBA, the drop is meant to be from a low hill down into the underground salt dome. It seems the viewing perspective is intended to be from surface level, part way down the drop before the log plunges below the surface into the salt mine below. It seems like the viewer is now meant to be human size (looking at the frogs on the log at the turn).

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Just outside the barn, multiple poles will sport loudspeakers hooked to a PA system, “like at the beginning of ‘Grease,’” Robledo said. They will broadcast an old-timey radio show featuring reimagined New Orleans classics performed by an assortment of local musicians gathered by multiple Grammy winner Terence Blanchard."

Ah, that might explain this new pole from my last set of photos.

rd805

Also, a lot of people impact what we get in a ride beyond imagineering - I find it sad/unfair how quickly people are willing to attack and belittle current imagineers en masse with almost no insight into their work or environment. We don't see how many drafts, suggestions, and plans imagineers present/pitch internally. They don't pick funding or have the final say on what gets built, they do the best they can within limitations. I would argue we're still getting excellent work from Imagineering in the present day, even if at a much slower pace / with a lot of budget cutting. I think RotR and Guardians are really wonderful start to finish. I know people dislike the screen-based Mickey and Minnie - but I find it so charming and fun, evoking similar feels I got first riding classic rides. The new lands they've built are beautiful and show wonderful detail (not to say they're perfect, don't need more live performers). Not trying to say the quality is the best its ever been, but come on, don't be mean just to be mean.
Imagineering is doing the best they can - yes. The problem I think MOST dedicated fans have are as follows: The amount of NEW attractions - why come back to WDW if there isn't anything new? 2) Unused / dead space (SGE, Dinoland, WoL) 3) The amount of time it takes to get attractions built. The YEARS is a travesty.

When you put these points in comparison to how Universal is trying to grasp more sharehold of theme park goers, Disney majorly pales in comparison; even when the attractions they are actually producing are good (like the ones you mentioned).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom