News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

I really don't think "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" was supposed to be firmly rooted in realism.

It was supposed to be believable to the extent that it allowed for the suspension of disbelief rather than obviously fake, but do you really think the castle is where it is because Walt wanted it to resemble replicas of castles in some US cities rather than wanting a fairytale European castle to draw people down Main Street USA and into Fantasyland?
The view down Main Street remains breathtaking for a reason. We are unaccustomed to seeing such a combination of architecture in the real world; that's the point!

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Louisiana does not have water towers?
I never said that they don’t. I said I’ve never seen a water tower in a swamp lol. Which I haven’t!
I really don't think "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" was supposed to be firmly rooted in realism.
In many places it was, the railroad, riverboat and stage coaches back that up. Walt even wanted the freight trains to have actual cattle cars so people could feel like cows. Ward Kimball disagreed haha.

MerlinTheGoat

If you mean @MerlinTheGoat, isn't he the only one that has said this? And even he wasn't so positive as to "assure us" of anything. Honestly, the animatronics are the only thing I'm looking forward to. If they don't deliver on that, yikes...
I'm confident this ride will have a lot of animatronics when compared to pretty much anything they have built since the late 80s early 90s era (except for Sinbad). What I am shakier on is the exact number and if it will have AS many as Splash. While again I have expressed my doubts that SplashArchive's renders demonstrate the finished roster of figures in the finale (i've given my reasoning for this), I myself don't have a confirmed number for that scene. But several of the other scenes Disney has shown in art form have been well populated at least. Moreso than his finale renders. It would just be very odd to me if the finale ended up being one of the most sparse scenes in the ride, especially with all of those suspicious AA-sized spaces it looks like they built into the structure.

There have been others who have said it will have a lot of figures by modern standards as well. Someone else here said 48+ I think. Disney themselves said "dozens". Dusty Sage implied that the ride would have a large quantity of figures, including the finale, which he recently brought up as something that should not disappoint. And he's not prone to handing out praise for stuff lately without good reason. And again the scarce few pieces of art Disney has released point to there being a lot of figures as well.

Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast ride has a lot of animatronics, too, but that ride still turned out pretty weak.
BATB doesn't really have a lot of animatronics at all. Like 17-18 proper animatronics in total. Which is a larger number than anything else in recent memory, but still a far cry from the 55+ that WDW's Splash had or the 75+ that DL's Splash had. Or in comparison to Great Movie Ride, Pirates, Hall of Presidents, a lot of the big classic EPCOT attractions etc. A major flaw with BATB is in fact how sparce and lacking in figures it is. That along with the almost nonexistent village mob scene (which probably would have also forced them to up the AA quantity if they had included it as a proper fleshed out scene).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That realism has always played a big part in Disney theme parks and to suggest that details don’t matter is not in line with the history of the parks.

I never said that they don’t. I said I’ve never seen a water tower in a swamp lol. Which I haven’t!

In many places it was, the railroad, riverboat and stage coaches back that up. Walt even wanted the freight trains to have actual cattle cars so people could feel like cows. Ward Kimball disagreed haha.

Speaking of riverboats... Frontier Land's riverboat docks in Colonial Liberty Square. The name of the attraction is Liberty Square Riverboat. All maps put its dock in Liberty Square.

But it's a Mississippi Riverboat. What's it doing docking in Philadelphia?

The number of anachronisms and contradictions strain the "realism" you claim is present in Magic Kingdom.

And a water tower isn't even anachronistic or a break in reality. Maybe the crown on it is. But we'll let the singing bears explain it to you.

JD80

Speaking of riverboats... Frontier Land's riverboat docks in Colonial Liberty Square. The name of the attraction is Liberty Square Riverboat. All maps put its dock in Liberty Square.

But it's a Mississippi Riverboat. What's it doing docking in Philadelphia?

The number of anachronisms and contradictions strain the "realism" you claim is present in Magic Kingdom.

And a water tower isn't even anachronistic or a break in reality. Maybe the crown on it is. But we'll let the singing bears explain it to you.
You should listen to this week's Disney Dish.

RSoxNo1

I am on board with the redesigning of the ride, but I just do not understand some of the boneheaded moves Imagineering is doing...like these new posters that have zero connection to the correct time period.
Slow news day if we're complaining about posters on a construction wall.

SuddenStorm

This Attraction better be good…..

( pounds fist into hand firmly )

-

At least we know the flume is fun and well designed.

I almost hope that this retheme tanks and is rejected by park fans, with lower guest satisfaction scores than it's predecessor. With the hope that it makes Disney think twice about retheming rides in the future.

Brer Panther

If the retheme DOES tank, I have the feeling that Disney will probably learn the wrong lesson from it. Like, maybe they'll think it tanked because "there were too many animatronics" or just brush its failure off as people being racist.

Tha Realest

Or posters complaining about posters complaining about posters.
1699454586881.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just look to how they rationalized the box office failure of PATF (which now for some odd reason has two massive E ticket attractions, a standalone restaurant, and soon multiple retail locations, etc., all while never being a major retail or sales driver).
And pray tell, what were those officially released rationalizations?

TrainsOfDisney

I actually like Mission Breakout a lot. Of course, the fact that I can still ride the better ToT influences my opinion, I’m sure.
Not me, the way it ruined the skyline and theming of DCA is really bad and I don’t care for the attraction at all. It doesn’t make sense, and feels like a universal ride.

They did do a pretty good job with the que and pre show though.

While I regret the loss of maelstrom, at least it didn’t effect the overall pavilion, although for the money they spent on that meet and greet they could have built a new frozen attraction there and just refreshed maelstrom to have a little frozen nod.

LittleBuford

Just look to how they rationalized the box office failure of PATF in 2009.

PATF, now for some curious reason, has two massive E ticket attractions, a standalone restaurant, and soon multiple retail locations, etc., all while never being a major merch or revenue driver.

“Sure, it made less than those iconic Disney films Bolt, Chicken Little, and G-Force that year at the box office, but it was important and is beloved by audiences (in ways we cannot show you, but believe us, they really do).”

“I mean sure, that cherished blockbuster Chicken Little has even sold 20% more DVD’s and Blu-Rays than PATF since release, but seriously, PATF is HUGE! Or something!”

See, it’s easy.
Box-office returns aren't everything. I suppose it's subjective, but I feel pretty confident saying (almost as a statement of fact) that The Princess and the Frog is an infinitely superior film to Chicken Little, and one that has left a much larger cultural mark.

Disney Analyst

Box-office returns aren't everything. I suppose it's subjective, but I feel pretty confident saying (almost as a statement of fact) that The Princess and the Frog is an infinitely superior film to Chicken Little, and one that has left a much larger cultural mark.

This is why using a films initial box office can certainly give some information, but is foolish to use when discussing a films impact or cultural presence.

So many important films have had lousy box offices and live on. That’s the beauty of film, it’s forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom