News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

If you mean @MerlinTheGoat, isn't he the only one that has said this? And even he wasn't so positive as to "assure us" of anything. Honestly, the animatronics are the only thing I'm looking forward to. If they don't deliver on that, yikes...
I’m not referring to him only.

And yes, we have been assured of the plenitude of the animatronics that will be featured. Sure, that doesn’t mean the ride itself will be good, but there remains reason to be optimistic.

Casper Gutman

And yes, we have been assured of the plenitude of the animatronics that will be featured. Sure, that doesn’t mean the ride itself will be good, but there remains reason to be optimistic.
To be fair, what we've heard is pretty clearly damage control. It would be a whole lot more reassuring if everything Disney actually showed us didn't seem to reinforce our worst fears.

Bocabear

Well with it following the same ride path, I am sure it will be good... It will just be different...
If they wanted a modern storyline they could have just made a character up from scratch...but the way they have contorted the story doesn't feel genuine to the source material at all....

Animaniac93-98

Having now seen the construction in the park, it's strange how on the park maps they highlight the new ride coming, but when you actually stand next to it all you see are the "Tiana's Foods" logos and nothing to hype the actual ride.

From many angles where you can't see the water tower it just looks like a regular refurb of Splash is happening.

LittleBuford

To be fair, what we've heard is pretty clearly damage control. It would be a whole lot more reassuring if everything Disney actually showed us didn't seem to reinforce our worst fears.
My worst fears were a ride devoid of animatronics and scenery. Those fears, at least, have been allayed.

I agree that the publicity surrounding the retheme has for the most part been terrible.

Casper Gutman

My worst fears were a ride devoid of animatronics and scenery. Those fears, at least, have been allayed.

I agree that the publicity surrounding the retheme has for the most part been terrible.
I think the more realistic fear is another Frozen Ever After - one or two AAs in a void, no (or few) fully formed AA scenes. Even I, at my most pessimistic, didn't think the ride would be devoid of AAs.

LittleBuford

I think the more realistic fear is another Frozen Ever After - one or two AAs in a void, no (or few) fully formed AA scenes. Even I, at my most pessimistic, didn't think the ride would be devoid of AAs.
I think it's been all but confirmed that the ride will feature a considerable number of animatronics—not just some, but an impressive quantity. Of course, that "all but" is important, because the whispers we're hearing may turn out to be wrong, but the rumours are consistent and plentiful enough to be assigned some weight.

Sir_Cliff

I am on board with the redesigning of the ride, but I just do not understand some of the boneheaded moves Imagineering is doing...like these new posters that have zero connection to the correct time period.
This is where I am. Splash was my favourite ride and I was sad to see it go, but I understand why a change of theme was likely inevitable and I prefer to hope the ride is as good as it genuinely could be than to feel like it being bad would be some kind of vindication.

That said, they are not giving us many positive signals! There is some talk about there being a good quantity of AAs, but I would feel a lot better if they could give a sense of the world of this ride that didn't feel weirdly out of time and place and pretty devoid of fun.

LittleBuford

That said, they are not giving us many positive signals! There is some talk about there being a good quantity of AAs, but I would feel a lot better if they could give a sense of the world of this ride that didn't feel weirdly out of time and place and pretty devoid of fun.
The murals, while not period-appropriate, actually help a bit in this regard, because unlike the posters, they are at least suggestive of a fun experience.

Incomudro

That was my worse fear, and that fear has been largely suppressed.
Second to that fear, and not far behind it - is that of a ride far removed from many of the wonderful elements that made the film so enjoyable. Particularly the villain elements.
Those elements would have worked so well with the impending doom that should build as the ride progresses.
That fear seems legitimate.
We'll have to see how successful Disney is at making a great ride out of this while abandoning those things for the route they have chosen.
They're certainly doing a poor job on building positive anticipation on their end.

Sir_Cliff

The murals, while not period-appropriate, actually help a bit in this regard, because unlike the posters, they are at least suggestive of a fun experience.
I guess that might be the case for the average visitor, but as the kind of Disney fan who spends time on forums like this it only heightens my concerns as it just makes this feel more like a project than a themed experience. It reinforces to me the suspicion that they don't really have a good handle on the world of the ride.

LittleBuford

That was my worse fear, and that fear has been largely suppressed.
Second to that fear, and not far behind it - is that of a ride far removed from many of the wonderful elements that made the film so enjoyable. Particularly the villain elements.
Those elements would have worked so well with the impending doom that should build as the ride progresses.
That fear seems legitimate.
We'll have to see how successful Disney is at making a great ride out of this while abandoning those things for the route they have chosen.
They're certainly doing a poor job on building positive anticipation on their end.
As a villains fan, I hear you, though perhaps they'll pleasantly surprise us with whatever they've come up with for the build-up to the drop.

LittleBuford

I guess that might be the case for the average visitor, but as the kind of Disney fan who spends time on forums like this it only heightens my concerns as it just makes this feel more like a project than a themed experience. It reinforces to me that they don't really have a good handle on the world of the ride.
I share your concern but am making a conscious effort to stay hopeful (I suppose because the alternative is too depressing for me). It helped me better appreciate the murals when I switched the way I looked at them:

At any rate, I'm beginning to view it less as an extension of the theming than as a reference to the ride itself. Sort of like Splash Mountain's own queue artwork, which clearly wasn't in a style appropriate to Reconstruction Georgia or the aesthetics of Frontierland:

Splash-Mountain_Full_50025.jpg

Sir_Cliff

I share your concern but am making a conscious effort to stay hopeful (I suppose because the alternative is too depressing for me). It helped me better appreciate the murals when I switched the way I looked at them:
Yes, I feel it's healthier to be in the headspace that's hopeful the new ride is good because it is coming one way or the other! I just wish every time something new was revealed it wasn't such an exercise in hoping that this isn't representative of the final experience.

As for the theming, I do agree that being too pedantic about everything being wholly immersive doesn't get you anywhere as, for example, the stores in Frontierland do have cash registers! Again, we can hope the mural looks better in context once it's all finished.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Yes, I feel it's healthier to be in the headspace that its better to hope that the new ride is good because it is coming one way or the other! I just wish every time something new was revealed it wasn't such an exercise in hoping that this isn't representative of the final experience.

As for the theming, I do agree that being too pedantic about everything being wholly immersive doesn't get you anywhere as, for example, the stores in Frontierland do have cash registers! Again, we can hope the mural looks better in context once it's all finished.
One day, they will start actually showing glimpses of ride scenes and (hopefully) we will feel better. I just can’t get that excited by news that Tiana’s Foods now has $7 cucumber water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom