News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

LittleBuford

I just wish every time something new was revealed it wasn't such an exercise in hoping that this isn't representative of the final experience.
The updates and publicity surrounding the ride have generally been very misguided. The worrying part is that these latest posters feel like a failed attempt to address people's disappointment with the earlier (plain) posters, which, ironically, now look much better by comparison!

TrainsOfDisney

Why compare World Showcase (which has a very specific mission) to the Magic Kingdom, which is chock-a-block with fantastical things we don't see in the real world?
big thunder is full of historic mining equipment, country bears is in a historic variety show style and theatre. Frontierland Depot has historic railroad equipment, Tom Sawyer island has the historic fort and mills.

LittleBuford

big thunder is full of historic mining equipment, country bears is in a historic variety show style and theatre. Frontierland Depot has historic railroad equipment, Tom Sawyer island has the historic fort and mills.
Not that I think it matters (because fantasy trumps reality at Magic Kingdom), but elevated cisterns and water tanks were apparently a characteristic, and even necessary, feature of homes, plantations, and businesses in Louisiana until the early twentieth century, including along the bayou:

bayoustjohnhousecistern1910-6082fe-640.jpg

stock-photo-rustic-cabin-in-the-bayou-swamp-with-cistern-traps-wicker-chair-and-red-dock-1131168074.jpg

In light of this tradition, I wouldn't be surprised if TBA's water tower was intended by the Imagineers to enhance the ride's claim to "authenticity" (which is something the press releases have emphasised again and again, misguidedly to my mind).

LittleBuford

Examples? I mean there’s a castle at the end of Main Street USA, but there’s also a castle in New York City so even that isn’t really fantasy.
A towering Gothic castle at the end of a small-town American high street is pretty fantastical.

So are singing bears, singing birds (well, those capable of singing human songs!), an inhabited tree, flying elephants, a cruise combining the world's rivers, and a room that stretches, to mention just some examples.

I can't believe I'm having to defend the claim that the Magic Kingdom is, well, magical!

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I can't believe I'm having to defend the claim that the Magic Kingdom is, well, magical!
The original Disneyland was never supposed to exist in a world outside or realism. It was a fantasy / ideal version of reality.

At the magic kingdom, the flying elephants exist in a fantasized “storybook” version of a circus. They don’t exist in Main Street.

And as I mentioned, there is indeed a castle in Central Park in New York City, a castle leading to a carousel in a park (the hub of Main Street at MK is sadly not much like a park anymore but that’s a separate complaint) is again a fantasy version of the real world.

LittleBuford

The original Disneyland was never supposed to exist in a world outside or realism. It was a fantasy / ideal version of reality.

At the magic kingdom, the flying elephants exist in a fantasized “storybook” version of a circus. They don’t exist in Main Street.

And as I mentioned, there is indeed a castle in Central Park in New York City, a castle leading to a carousel in a park (the hub of Main Street at MK is sadly not much like a park anymore but that’s a separate complaint) is again a fantasy version of the real world.
Fantasy always takes the real world as its reference point; that's why it's recognisable as fantasy.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

yensidtlaw1969

That realism has always played a big part in Disney theme parks and to suggest that details don’t matter is not in line with the history of the parks.
Didn't that poster already show you the real-world historical basis for Water Towers in Louisiana, the very subject that prompted this train of thought?

No one's saying details don't matter. They're saying your nitpicking of this one is misplaced based on your own stated concerns.

Disstevefan1

Didn't that poster already show you the real-world historical basis for Water Towers in Louisiana, the very subject that prompted this train of thought?

No one's saying details don't matter. They're saying your nitpicking of this one is misplaced based on your own stated concerns.
Louisiana does not have water towers?

Sir_Cliff

I really don't think "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" was supposed to be firmly rooted in realism.

It was supposed to be believable to the extent that it allowed for the suspension of disbelief rather than obviously fake, but do you really think the castle is where it is because Walt wanted it to resemble replicas of castles in some US cities rather than wanting a fairytale European castle to draw people down Main Street USA and into Fantasyland?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom