News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Disney Analyst

Unless it’s The Black Cauldron.
IMG_0419.gif

Touchdown

I’ve been to both nearly as much here’s why DCA is so low:

-Ruins its normal elevator theme immediately by being pushed back from the drop shaft ruining the tension.
-Wave goodby to the real world was always cheesy and the mirror effect not super impressive
-No random drop sequence
-Always seemed so short of a ride cycle

DCA ToT is to DHS ToT as MK PotC is to DLs, a hacked half experience. At least GotG does its own thing, has random drops and does the fun bounces during the video sections, it’s more fun. MAD is better though because of the creepy queue changes, the cast acting terrified, and the rock soundtrack. It still can’t hold a candle to DHS ToT though.

Fox&Hound

I know I need to get over it but still wonder how fans and the casual public would have reacted to a Tiana take over where the ride retold the movie instead of a continuation.

Instead of vegetable posters we would have art work of Dr Facilier with the tagline “He will see you on the other side! Coming 2024.” Fans would be excited for familiar songs and familiar characters. Hardcore fans would rejoice in a scary thrill ride. Tiana would still be an empowering tale and they could push merchandise of beloved characters. They could have still added newer elements here and there to keep it fresh.

I just don’t understand how Disney messed this up so badly. It was almost gift-wrapped for them.

mickEblu

I’ve been to both nearly as much here’s why DCA is so low:

-Ruins its normal elevator theme immediately by being pushed back from the drop shaft ruining the tension.
-Wave goodby to the real world was always cheesy and the mirror effect not super impressive
-No random drop sequence
-Always seemed so short of a ride cycle

DCA ToT is to DHS ToT as MK PotC is to DLs, a hacked half experience. At least GotG does its own thing, has random drops and does the fun bounces during the video sections, it’s more fun. MAD is better though because of the creepy queue changes, the cast acting terrified, and the rock soundtrack. It still can’t hold a candle to DHS ToT though.

Just saying GOTG seems to rank much higher for people that live by Disney World or in your case have the luxury of traveling to both resorts often. Why wouldn’t you/they? You get a different ride to go on instead of the lesser* version of the same ride. For someone like me who doesn’t travel often and lives by DLR, TOTs removal was a loss.

Obviously I disagree on GOTG having a better ride experience than DCA’s TOT. I’ve written very long posts in the past breaking it down but to try to sum it up in a few words TOT didn’t feel 2D. It was a 3D experience and the few practical effects it had worked very well. At no point on GOTG do you feel as if the characters are really there. It’s more like you are on FaceTime with the characters. Then TOT just had a better flow, story and build up as well. I also liked the theme more. It worked perfectly in DCA. Also wasn’t as much of an eyesore.

* I’ve never been to DHS and although I can agree that the whole TOT experience (queue, grounds, location) looks/ sounds better I think a case can be made that DCA’s ride experience was better and more fun.

Touchdown

^Riding DHS ToT will ruin DCA ToT. I know because it’s exactly what happened to me when I rode DL’s Pirates. Before Pirates was right up with HM, but ever since due to sheer amazingness of DL Pirates, MK Pirates has lost its luster. DCA ToT didn’t even get the chance of being my first ToT so it doesn’t even get the nostalgia bump.

I’ll give you theming wise it fit far better in DCA then GotG does, but other then that I still think Guardians is better.

Also for the record, with the exception of ToT, Splash, HM, First half of Peter Pan, Castle, and Pooh I think the non cloned DL versions are better than WDW. So it’s not “first resort bias.”

mickEblu

^Riding DHS ToT will ruin DCA ToT. I know because it’s exactly what happened to me when I rode DL’s Pirates. Before Pirates was right up with HM, but ever since due to sheer amazingness of DL Pirates, MK Pirates has lost its luster. DCA ToT didn’t even get the chance of being my first ToT so it doesn’t even get the nostalgia bump.

I’ll give you theming wise it fit far better in DCA then GotG does, but other then that I still think Guardians is better.

I can understand that DHS’ TOT may have me appreciating DCA’s TOT less but obviously it’ll never make GOTG feel better than DCA’s TOT as I’ve ridden both. So my opinion is based on a true head to head with no skewed interpretation due to my experience on a different version of TOT.

Stupido

I know I need to get over it but still wonder how fans and the casual public would have reacted to a Tiana take over where the ride retold the movie instead of a continuation.

Instead of vegetable posters we would have art work of Dr Facilier with the tagline “He will see you on the other side! Coming 2024.” Fans would be excited for familiar songs and familiar characters. Hardcore fans would rejoice in a scary thrill ride. Tiana would still be an empowering tale and they could push merchandise of beloved characters. They could have still added newer elements here and there to keep it fresh.

I just don’t understand how Disney messed this up so badly. It was almost gift-wrapped for them.

This has been discussed ad nauseam. One of the biggest critiques of Princess and the Frog is that Disney's first black princess spends 58% of the movie as a frog. People have been very vocal that they want to see Tiana as a human, and the implications of forcing her into an animal for the majority of her movie. Creating another book report ride is not nearly as black and white as people try to make it sound. Yes, it would have been wonderful to have Facilier in the ride, he's one of the best characters in the movie. But if it means getting the representation right, I can put my personal feelings aside and see why this decision is the right one. I have complete faith that an original story for this ride can be just as engaging and entertaining as the movie.

mickEblu

This has been discussed ad nauseam. One of the biggest critiques of Princess and the Frog is that Disney's first black princess spends 58% of the movie as a frog. People have been very vocal that they want to see Tiana as a human, and the implications of forcing her into an animal for the majority of her movie. Creating another book report ride is not nearly as black and white as people try to make it sound. Yes, it would have been wonderful to have Facilier in the ride, he's one of the best characters in the movie. But if it means getting the representation right, I can put my personal feelings aside and see why this decision is the right one. I have complete faith that an original story for this ride can be just as engaging and entertaining as the movie.

Why does Tiana have to be a frog if Facilier is there? What if he is unsuccessfully trying to turn her into a frog? Or any other million things they could come up with.

Touchdown

Disney villains come back to life at the theme parks all the time there was zero reason Faciller could not have come back in a non book report. Here’s one, Louis makes a deal to become human, but the side effect is every human character becomes an animal and every animal character becomes a human, except Naveen and Tiana because they’ve been both and then human Louis, Tiana and Naveen set out to fix things.

Stupido

Why does Tiana have to be a frog if Facilier is there? What if he is unsuccessfully trying to turn her into a frog? Or any other million things they could come up with.

Because Facilier is very much dead by the end of the movie, and Tiana's still a frog at that point of the story. She doesn't become Human Again until long after he's gone.

And the way they become human again is kind of the whole point of the movie. 'Changing it for the ride' kind of completely negates the entire story, and isn't worth it to shoehorn one character back into the story.

mickEblu

Because Facilier is very much dead by the end of the movie, and Tiana's still a frog at that point of the story. She doesn't become Human Again until long after he's gone.

And the way they become human again is kind of the whole point of the movie. 'Changing it for the ride' kind of completely negates the entire story, and isn't worth it to shoehorn one character back into the story.

The answer is there is no reason (story wise) Facilier can’t be there. Also Facilier is not dead, he’s just on the the other side so if there was ever a villain who could come back it’s him. How about this? Facilier uses his persuasiveness to convince the powers that be on the Other Side to let him go back to earth in exchange for (insert whatever dumb reason). Also in movies/ sequels villains or character that were dead or gone come back all the time.

Stupido

The answer is there is no reason (story wise) Facilier can’t be there.. Also Facilier is not dead, he’s just on the the other side so if there was ever a villain who could come back it’s him. How about this? Facilier uses his persuasiveness to convince the powers that be on the Other Side to let him go back to earth in exchange for (insert whatever dumb reason). Also in movies/ sequels villains or character that were dead or gone come back all the time.

They literally drag him to hell, and we get a tombstone confirming his death. At this point of the story, the character is dead. If the villains land behind BTM ever gets built, I wouldn't be surprised if Facilier gets a home there.

mickEblu

Ah, yes. The ever topical "the PC Police are out to ruin everything" response. Facilier is one of the stars of Mickey's Not So Scary Party, so I don't think Disney is holding back on using the character for any hypothetical reasons.

They literally drag him to hell, and we get a tombstone confirming his death. At this point of the story, the character is dead. If the villains land behind BTM ever gets built, I wouldn't be surprised if Facilier gets a home there.

My theory is that they’re either in the process of eliminating Facilier from the parks or more likely are trying to separate the character from the voodoo stuff. The dark horse that I hope is victorious is that they are fooling us all and that he will be present on the attraction.

A tombstone does not mean he doesn’t exist on the Other Side. So the “after life” I guess is just a foreign concept to you? Or are you insinuating that in a fantasy world of Voodoo, Magic and talking frogs that coming back to earth would be impossible?

Last edited:

Bocabear

Can you imagine a Snow White ride without the wicked Queen? A Cinderella ride without the step sisters of step mother? The Little Mermaid without Ursula? The villains are all crucial to these stories and give them a reason for being... the triumph of good over evil is a universal story point...
but I guess we will see....

Casper Gutman

Make the first section of the dark ride portion New Orleans with Tiana human, the swamp and frog section begins a bit later (perhaps after what used to be the Bear butt scene), the Laughing Place is Facilier’s big Other Side moment, and Tiana is human again by the final dark ride sequence. Boom, book report, Tiana human for all but a short dark ride segment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom