News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Incomudro

I know I need to get over it but still wonder how fans and the casual public would have reacted to a Tiana take over where the ride retold the movie instead of a continuation.

Instead of vegetable posters we would have art work of Dr Facilier with the tagline “He will see you on the other side! Coming 2024.” Fans would be excited for familiar songs and familiar characters. Hardcore fans would rejoice in a scary thrill ride. Tiana would still be an empowering tale and they could push merchandise of beloved characters. They could have still added newer elements here and there to keep it fresh.

I just don’t understand how Disney messed this up so badly. It was almost gift-wrapped for them.
100%.

Fox&Hound

Make the first section of the dark ride portion New Orleans with Tiana human, the swamp and frog section begins a bit later (perhaps after what used to be the Bear butt scene), the Laughing Place is Facilier’s big Other Side moment, and Tiana is human again by the final dark ride sequence. Boom, book report, Tiana human for all but a short dark ride segment.
100%. You could have Tiana narrate the ride and have her as a human throughout (even if there were a few frog scenes). There are just so many ways to add him in.

Brer Panther

In regards to Facilier, has Disney ever even cared that much about continuity until now? Look at the Ratatouille ride - how does THAT relate to the continuity of the movie? Remy apparently has his restaurant, but Gusteau's is still open (it was shut down by the health department) and Skinner still works there (Linguini tossed his butt to the curb after he became owner of the restaurant). Not to mention Gaston is walking around alive after he fell off the roof of a castle, Rapunzel still has her long blonde hair, the Beast is still a beast, Ariel is still a mermaid if you happen to meet her in her grotto...

Would anybody even care if Facilier appeared in the attraction just because it takes place after the movie?
PATF, now for some curious reason, has two massive E ticket attractions, a standalone restaurant, and soon multiple retail locations, etc., all while never being a major merch or revenue driver.
That's what I've been saying before. Disney initially brushes the film off as a flop and ignores it for years and now all of a sudden it's getting an attraction, a restaurant, etc.? Granted, I'm sure Tiana merchandise has always sold really well, but if that's the case, why did it take a whole decade for the character to get an attraction? It's all very suspicious.
And pray tell, what were those officially released rationalizations?
Well, you see, the film wasn't even an actual flop - it just didn't do as well as Disney was hoping it would. This is because they gave it a crummy release date up against Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, and the second Alvin and the Chipmunks sequel (that SOMEHOW was such a huge hit!). So what did Disney think? They assumed that it was a flop because it was hand-drawn as opposed to CGI (reminder, when Strange World flopped they didn't automatically assume it was because people don't like CGI animation anymore). They also thought it was because the name of the film was too "girly", which was why Tangled wasn't called Rapunzel.
Box-office returns aren't everything. I suppose it's subjective, but I feel pretty confident saying (almost as a statement of fact) that The Princess and the Frog is an infinitely superior film to Chicken Little, and one that has left a much larger cultural mark.
No argument there (although I've never thought that Chicken Little was that bad).

TrainsOfDisney

^Riding DHS ToT will ruin DCA ToT. I know because it’s exactly what happened to me when I rode DL’s Pirates. Before Pirates was right up with HM, but ever since due to sheer amazingness of DL Pirates, MK Pirates has lost its luster.
In both cases I liked them both for what they are. I much prefer the que and the entire setup of pirates at WDW. They also fixed the backwards waterfall issue and the treasure room is large and looks like a treasure - better storytelling.

Obviously I like the DL version a lot too but both are good and if I’m being honest the DL one does feel about 1 beat too long.

Epcot82Guy

I actually think there were many ways to incorporate the songs (which are what most people want IMHO). When I heard the attraction originally pitched with the Louie's trumpet storyline, I had assumed that was going to be what happened. Louie has a magic trumpet that could easily be used as the plot device to move us from song to song - his trumpet bringing the scenes to life. Even when they said Facillier wouldn't be included, I assumed Friends would still play - he would just likely be a nod (as he's now on the other side and likely a shadow himself).

mickEblu

^Riding DHS ToT will ruin DCA ToT. I know because it’s exactly what happened to me when I rode DL’s Pirates. Before Pirates was right up with HM, but ever since due to sheer amazingness of DL Pirates, MK Pirates has lost its luster. DCA ToT didn’t even get the chance of being my first ToT so it doesn’t even get the nostalgia bump.

I’ll give you theming wise it fit far better in DCA then GotG does, but other then that I still think Guardians is better.

Also for the record, with the exception of ToT, Splash, HM, First half of Peter Pan, Castle, and Pooh I think the non cloned DL versions are better than WDW. So it’s not “first resort bias.”

I just saw that you added another paragraph to your post after I responded. Nowhere did I say that you have first resort bias. First resort bias would be if I tried to use that as an explanation for why you may prefer TOT at DHS to TOT at DCA. That’s not what we were talking about. I was offering an explanation on why GOTG ranks higher for people who live by WDW (or travel to both resorts often). It’s a win win for those folks no matter how you look at it. Not to say there aren’t some people who might just genuinely prefer GOTG: MB based on its own merits. However poor I think that opinion may be.

As a theme park nerd I’d be upset if they got rid of POTC at MK before I had a chance to ride. But after I ride it id probably be ok if they announced that MK’s POTC was getting the Shanghai treatment …as unrealistic as that may be.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

DCA ToT<DCA GotG<DCA GotG:MAD<<<<<DHS ToT.

Have you done ToT in Paris?

It’s a physical copy of the original DCA ToT (which I prefer to the ugly GotG exterior) but has been updated with a ride cycle similar to GotG (which I find far more fun than the original ToT cycle).

It’s very good, still not sure I’d place it above HS ToT but it would be very close.

Touchdown

It’s a physical copy of the original DCA ToT (which I prefer to the ugly GotG exterior) but has been updated with a ride cycle similar to GotG (which I find far more fun than the original ToT cycle).

It’s very good, still not sure I’d place it above HS ToT but it would be very close.
Not yet

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No

Nothing they can do to the ToT 2.0 ride system in any location will make it anywhere near as good as the original DHS version. It is practically theme park perfection, and the economy version that has been built since doesn't even come close.

FoodRockz

My immediate thought is to compare this permanent work with the temporary but absolutely spot-on period graphic work Universal does with the tribute stores. Big difference.
I am always amazed by those. I should go to their guest service next visit and pay them a compliment on them.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The little girl was creepy! Felt like a horror movie.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
I just saw that you added another paragraph to your post after I responded. Nowhere did I say that you have first resort bias. First resort bias would be if I tried to use that as an explanation for why you may prefer TOT at DHS to TOT at DCA. That’s not what we were talking about. I was offering an explanation on why GOTG ranks higher for people who live by WDW (or travel to both resorts often). It’s a win win for those folks no matter how you look at it. Not to say there aren’t some people who might just genuinely prefer GOTG: MB based on its own merits. However poor I think that opinion may be.

As a theme park nerd I’d be upset if they got rid of POTC at MK before I had a chance to ride. But after I ride it id probably be ok if they announced that MK’s POTC was getting the Shanghai treatment …as unrealistic as that may be.
(We're getting really off-topic by this point but this will be my last thing on ToT), I grew up going to Disney World every summer, and WDW's ToT was my first experience. I went to Disneyland the year their ToT opened, and as a seven-year-old I could already tell it was inferior. The "wave goodbye" and the lack of Rod Serling's final address before you fall stand out as the big issues, but by far the most egregious is the fact that once the elevator doors open and you're about to board, you step first into a hallway rather than the elevator itself. It made no thematic sense whatsoever.

You are missing out on DHS' ToT. It's a masterpiece. I cannot say that enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom