News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

UNCgolf

Assuming the AK stuff ends up actually happening, Dinosaur isn't being removed over problematic elements. It also isn't as classic or popular as Splash and arguably even Country Bears. There may be a backlash over Dinosaur closing, as there is with any ride, but it won't come close to the backlash that Tiana got them. And it won't come in the same form either.

Any significant backlash over Dinosaur closing will be more likely to come from Zootopia as the replacement than Dinosaur itself closing, beyond the fact that Disney shouldn't be replacing attractions in general when they need significantly more capacity. There might be a little about about the removal of dinosaurs from the park too.

I've never gotten the impression that Dinosaur has a large, passionate fanbase that will be upset to see it go -- not to say there won't be anyone who will be upset that it's closing (of course there will be) but it won't be comparable to Splash.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

While I don't love the way it looks, I prefer it to the quotation on the water tower for two reasons. First, I don't think it's meant to be understood as diegetic; it ties into the ride but doesn't pretend to be part of the characters' own world, whereas the water-tower text is masquerading (unconvincingly) as something within the story of the ride itself. Second, it's smaller in scale and relegated to the queue, which means I don't hold it to the same thematic standard as something inscribed on the ride's new centrepiece.
Yes, part of the reason I found it interesting to compare is that, when looking at the 'painted' signs around the queue, they also didn't look exactly painted freehand. Then again, I don't think the queue ever looked particularly 'authentic'. The framed Brer portraits always looked like obviously printed images, for example.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to do. Indeed, I'm sure they could find someone in Louisiana who paints signs and get them to do it for them. Disneyland Paris just got in a company that restores actual historical monuments to refurbish their castle, so why not also go for authenticity here!

MrPromey

Yes, part of the reason I found it interesting to compare is that, when looking at the 'painted' signs around the queue, they also didn't look exactly painted freehand. Then again, I don't think the queue ever looked particularly 'authentic'. The framed Brer portraits always looked like obviously printed images, for example.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to do. Indeed, I'm sure they could find someone in Louisiana who paints signs and get them to do it for them. Disneyland Paris just got in a company that restores actual historical monuments to refurbish their castle, so why not also go for authenticity here!
If Joe were still here, he'd have traced the lineage of creole sign painters back to their origins in provincial France, gone over there to negotiate pricing and be sailing back on the same ship as his new signs while folks on site got the their torture tools and flamethrowers ready to age them all.

What we're left with today feels like people doing a mock-up on their laptops and then making a quick run to the FexdEx store to have it realized.

I joke (a little) but it seems like there should be some happy medium possible in there, somewhere.

Last edited:
In the Parks
No
I get that we're supposed to be in 1927 (or I guess just after that), so the water tower is relatively new and wouldn't logically show much wear and tear at that point.

But it honestly just looks cheap, uninspired, and tacky. I mean, look at what those cast members are so excited about:
1687924120330.png

I don't go to Disney World to see this. This isn't iconic. It's like something I see on my way to work every day. Except there's a tiara on top.

PS: This guy secretly hates this whole thing.
1687923983579.png

James Alucobond

I don't go to Disney World to see this. This isn't iconic. It's like something I see on my way to work every day. Except there's a tiara on top.
Obviously, something has to exist for a certain amount of time before it is worthy of any such status, but there was literally a water tower that served as the central icon of a Disney park for years. Except it had ears on top.

Bocabear

Point behind all of this is, they have gone too far and created a narrative that is so over-arching and not suggested by the source material at all... then doubling and tripling down on it so neither the characters or plot have anything to do with The Princess and the Frog.
How did we go from a charming musical adventure ride with a big thrill to an employee owned foods factory/salt mine with a big thrill... Baffling.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

The story we were telling not relevant to the audience now.
This is such a nothing statement, is it purely because audiences aren't familiar with who the Br'er characters are? Does recognizable IP need to be haphazardly slapped where it doesn't belong? I mean Haunted Mansion has Nightmare characters now, PotC has Jack Sparrow, and Jungle Cruise was slated to get Dwayne Johnson so it's not too out of left field that they feel the need to have Synergy™.

JohnD

I am a guest...All of my friends are guests....I don't know of one of them that connects with this storyline... So, not all guests... Maybe some guests...but judging from what I see out there, it is not a lot. At this point I would have preferred a book report ride...they have just gone too far in a vacuum...it seems like Tiana has become the "social justice community organizer and inclusivity princess" which is a big mantle for a girl who just wanted to open a restaurant.
Sometimes less is more. Join Tiana and her friends as you take a flume ride through the Louisiana bayou. That would have been enough and been fine with most guests. We understand retheming over time. (e.g. Meridia to Mirabel M&G). But, oh no. They needed to bog it down (pun intended) with co-ops., salt mines, "employee-owned" heavy-handed story lines that no one gives two flips about and beats you over the head with its progressive theme or whatever.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I still think Splash Mountain without the tree stump on top is like Cinderella Castle without its tallest spire.

They can repaint and redress the rest of the structure, but that same structure was designed as one complete piece with each element scaled and put there for a reason. Cutting bits offs, even if they seem to only be a small portion, can throw the rest of it off quite a bit.

Now I do think the full tree with boat on top would have been a bit much and too large a replacement, but maybe some sort of crowning detail (not a literal crown like the one they did build lol), would have helped, even if the intent was to make the mountain look smaller (an unrealistic goal given the choice to keep most of it intact).

Incomudro

I still think Splash Mountain without the tree stump on top is like Cinderella Castle without its tallest spire.

They can repaint and redress the rest of the structure, but that same structure was designed as one complete piece with each element scaled and put there for a reason. Cutting bits offs, even if they seem to only be a small portion, can throw the rest of it off quite a bit.

Now I do think the full tree with boat on top would have been a bit much and too large a replacement, but maybe some sort of crowning detail (not a literal crown like the one they did build lol), would have helped, even if the intent was to make the mountain look smaller (an unrealistic goal given the choice to keep most of it intact).
Exactly.
They're trying to retrofit a reverse forced perspective on a structure that was never designed for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom