News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

James Alucobond

This idea people are floating doesn't really hold up when you consider that the drop isn't changing, the height requirement isn't changing . . . they're clearly not actually aiming to entice a demographic of young riders that weren't riding before.

It seems so much more about establishing a new look for the exterior without having to undo all that expensive rockwork and introducing some foreshortening to minimize the mountain-ness of that rockwork to the end of making story sense in Louisiana. It's not about trying to lure children into riding who would otherwise have been scared by a more intimidating exterior.

The massive drop with screaming riders and height requirement are still gonna fend off kids who aren't ready.
I was going to say … Imagineering never stated reducing the intimidation factor was the intent, did they? People were bringing it up so much that I started to doubt my own memory with regard to what was said.

Smiley/OCD

And did she get a minority grant for opening her business? as a woman she might have been able to do that....though not in 1920...
What kind of packing tape are they using in the shipping department? Are they also handled by Jiminy Cricket's 1920 version of Amazon offering same day shipping for their "foods"?
Now that the tower is up, I can’t wait for the cart corrals to be installed for her store…how much to use a cart? Will we be able to pay with our MB? I can’t wait to see a CM walking in Tomorrowland at the end of the night pushing carts…

Disstevefan1

Regarding ridership, that will depend on the music and theming. Splash was meant to be a happy frolic flume ride with catchy music and crazy audio. From what we're seeing so far about Tiana, I'm not optimistic.
To effect ridership it would have to be "Swiss Family Treehouse awful"

It can't possibly end up that bad. As I said, thankfully the kept the same floom ride, so its still fun.

I am totally confident after the newness wares off; it will be just as popular as Splash was.

This is in the Magic Kingdom, the most MOBBED park in the world! Folks will go on it because it is there.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
Organic, and sustainably sourced!
If Tiana isn't utilizing all of the 2020's required virtuous methodology and terms in the 1920's I object to this ride!
I'd better see locally grown!
If not, I'd better see fair trade!
Are her employees unionized?
I want all of this indicated in the queue.
I want Br'er Frog telling us a story to be replaced by Tiana giving a quarterly recap of Tianas Foods

Bocabear

No miracle about it, Jungle Cruise only received an update because they were in desperation mode trying to purge the perceived "problematic" elements of the attraction.

Big Thunder has little to nothing that would be found to be problematic. Perhaps someone might harp on the backstory a bit involving the Native American legends, but that would still be a pretty major stretch even for their absurdly obsessive committees (it's really just one small line of dialog on the riverboat as well).

I doubt WDW's Big Thunder will ever be updated at this point. The ride is in pretty horrible shape too and desperately needs a massive at least 1+ year overhaul. Nothing has moved in the flooded town scene for a few years now. Last i rode it, almost all of the bats were either static or missing, and the waterfall at the top of the first lift was broken. And yeah obviously the complete lack of anything in the third lift for well over a decade now. The ride has also become outright painful due to desperately needing a full track replacement. Something I believe every other version of the ride has already received over the past decade (at least California and Paris, not sure about Tokyo).
It did have major track work done that closed it for a prolonged period some years back... not that long ago...

Vegas Disney Fan

I was going to say … Imagineering never stated reducing the intimidation factor was the intent, did they? People were bringing it up so much that I started to doubt my own memory with regard to what was said.
I don’t think they’ve ever said it, it’s just an observation, the forced perspective of the tree made the mtn feel much taller than it actually is and drew your eye directly to the drop, the removal of the tree and placement of the water tower make the hill look much shorter and draws your eye away from the drop.

Whether it’s intentional or not it looks much smaller, and less intense now, and since it’s themed to Tiana it’s going to be much more appealing to small kids.

Even the name is less intimidating, Splash Mountain was about the drop, Tianas Bayou Adventure sounds like a pleasant boat ride.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

I don’t think they’ve ever said it, it’s just an observation, the forced perspective of the tree made the mtn feel much taller than it actually is and drew your eye directly to the drop, the removal of the tree and placement of the water tower make the hill look much shorter than it is and draws your eye away from the drop.

Whether it’s intentional or not it looks much smaller, and less intense now, and since it’s themed to Tiana so it’s going to be much more appealing to small kids.

Even the name is less intimidating, Splash Mountain was about the drop, Tianas Bayou Adventure sounds like a pleasant boat ride.
preschool princess with a corporate political push

Incomudro

They are really going to make sure this is chuffed down peoples throats. A water tower itself like that wouldn't look so bad and would be sort of fitting to the area, but between the tacky tiara and the blatant fast food chain sign on it,,,, I cant believe how low they are going.
They're so heavy handed .
They quite literally feel the need to spell everything out for us lately.
I know it was said that the structure couldn't support the tree and boat as depicted in the early concept art, but...
Didn't that look so much better?
Even if they couldn't do that, they could have done so much better.

MerlinTheGoat

It did have major track work done that closed it for a prolonged period some years back... not that long ago...
None of which have helped with the issue of it being a painful rickety mess. "Track work" is not the same as full track replacement. Both BTM's at California and Paris have had full track replacements in the past decade from what I understand.

Hell, I was lucky to have ridden Paris' BTM within a couple years of its opening. It was night and day how much smoother and more comfortable it was than the WDW variant even back then. WDW has only continued to deteriorate over the following three decades since.

They were so quick to change Jungle Cruise and Splash for PR reasons while the Country Bears still sing about shooting little Beauford 😂
Country Bears already had a hatchet taken to it back in 2012, slashing about 5 minutes worth of dialog and songs. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few people at Disney who consider the attraction innately offensive and want rid of it entirely. Whether they eventually get their way, I don't know. I was told that the unforeseen backlash over Splash Mountain's closure has scared some of Disney's leadership away from messing with anything else at the moment. They played with fire and got burned.

mickEblu

None of which have helped with the issue of it being a painful rickety mess. "Track work" is not the same as full track replacement. Both BTM's at California and Paris have had full track replacements in the past decade from what I understand.

Hell, I was lucky to have ridden Paris' BTM within a couple years of its opening. It was night and day how much smoother and more comfortable it was than the WDW variant even back then. WDW has only continued to deteriorate over the following three decades since.

Country Bears already had a hatchet taken to it back in 2012, slashing about 5 minutes worth of dialog and songs. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few people at Disney who consider the attraction innately offensive and want rid of it entirely. Whether they eventually get their way, I don't know. I was told that the unforeseen backlash over Splash Mountain's closure has scared some of Disney's leadership away from messing with anything else at the moment. They played with fire and got burned.

Unforeseen? How stupid are they? I have a hard time believing it was unforeseen.

Musical Mermaid

They're so heavy handed .
They quite literally feel the need to spell everything out for us lately.
I know it was said that the structure couldn't support the tree and boat as depicted in the early concept art, but...
Didn't that look so much better?
Even if they couldn't do that, they could have done so much better.
Difficult when they're trying to fit something into a preexisting space rather than build something from the ground up. I think Princess and the Frog would've been better suited to a Gran Fiesta Tour or Navi River style boat ride than a flume. It'd be a better ride system for all ages and seem more like a boat ride in the bayou. But Splash Mountain was considered one of the top rides and they want people to rave about how great this ride will be because it's a flume (I've seen so many comments saying how theme and story don't matter), so here we are. I hope this tiara topped water tower wasn't their best idea for decoration. It looks out of place in that area.

J4546

I did pop in briefly and saw it. To be very clear - the water tower itself looks better than anticipated (especially once fully planted). It's the crown only that really, really bothers me.
i think with some greenery it will look really good. The tiara doesnt bother me at all, I think its a nice disney touch. If there was no tiara then people would complain about it being a boring water tower imo. I think its a nice touch thats not too overbearing. Cant wait to see the nighttime lighting for it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom