News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MrPromey

I’ve found if I ignore the convoluted backstory I stay pretty excited for this ride, if I think too much about the backstory I dread what they are doing though.

It’s pretty sad they came up with a story so ridiculously bad it creates dread rather than excitement for what will likely end up being a great ride. It would be hard to mess up a flume with a big drop but the backstory still has me a bit worried they’re building a social message rather than a ride.
As far as we're aware, they're not making any real changes to the actual ride system, right?

You can close your eyes and plug your ears and it'll be just like you're still riding splash!

MrPromey

If they made its a small world today I wonder how many people would find that preachy or woke?

I don't know about people calling it preachy and woke but if they announced they were closing down Haunted Mansion to retheme it to It's a Small World, I'm pretty sure an army with torches and pitchforks would come out.

MagicHappens1971

I actively want it to fail. I love the Br'ers and am very upset to see them go. If I was alive back then, I'd be actively rooting for Pooh's failure as well.
I understand your viewpoint on the nostalgia and connection to the Brers but they’re gone and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop it or bring them back. Why root for the new attraction to fail? If anything they’d just replace it with another IP in 10-15 years

yensidtlaw1969

Well...right, because so many successful restaurants in 1920 New Orleans created a food co-op and then went into commercial food production...
Now if they do "Small World Shipping & Freight", they can equip the boats with QR guns so as you float through the attraction, children can track the packages that will be placed close to the flume to see where the boxes are heading...Imagine the fun! You can exit through a Fed Ex/Kinkos where guests can make copies or buy shipping supplies!View attachment 718310
Dude, enough.

Bocabear

If they made its a small world today I wonder how many people would find that preachy or woke?
As others have said, there would be a problem with how we see other cultures, but the message of Small World is not preachy and certainly not "woke"...it is naïve and sweet...It is as simple as "We all come from different places and cultures but we are all on this world together...a the world should be a friendly place" that's it... A simple message about brotherhood and humanity...
but now we don't want these sort of things...we want uber violent superhero characters and battles and wars...

Incomudro

I understand your viewpoint on the nostalgia and connection to the Brers but they’re gone and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop it or bring them back. Why root for the new attraction to fail? If anything they’d just replace it with another IP in 10-15 years
While I don't root for new attractions to fail, if say PatF were a budget cut shadow of Splash - and it's failure would lead Disney to learn from such a mistake - then yes, I would hope it would fail.

neo999955

In the Parks
No
A restaurateur is not necessarily a food manufacturing company president... I know several restaurateurs and none of them happen to own a food co-op or are commercially producing goods for the marketplace...

Right, just saying “20th century restaurateur becomes involved in food production” is not quite as ridiculous as “18th century French princess decides to sell Windex.”

I think the problem with the backstory is a food co-op just isn’t a place that sounds fun to visit. I’d love to visit Tiana’s Place, but a grocery store? That’s a chore, not a treat.

I’d love to visit a Belle library but would be much less excited to visit a Belle book publishing company. This feels like the latter, they created something that simply doesn’t sound fun.

But her dream was to have a restaurant...it is not a natural conclusion that she would then create a food co-op and employee owned commercial food manufacturing company... If she was always thinking of other businesses to create in the original film, then it might feel a little more authentic to her character... It is like saying Snow White enjoyed taking care of the 7 Dwarfs, so therefore when she had money and a prince, she would naturally open a home for indigent miners... or Rapunzel lived to paint, so therefore she would, with her big hair, become the mediaeval Bob Ross and create a line of art supplies and classes for the people in her town.... I think the storyline was a crazy leap in the plot that does not sound like a natural conclusion for the character at all...especially in 1920s New Orleans....
Others, like James, have pointed that your comparisons are increasingly unfair and honestly just weird. Plus, people are constantly changing and evolving. The idea that Tiana couldn't want to expand beyond running a restaurant because it was not explicitly stated in the film is absurd. Is it a very likely thing to happen in the 20s? Maybe not, but let's not bring in all the terrible realities of the 20s either. It's not some giant leap that makes no sense - plus, yes, it is empowering. Things can be empowering and boring, that's ok.

Is Tiana opening a co-op super exciting? No. Is the ride a walk-through of her co-op business? No. We know it's not. It's going to be a whimsical tale through the bayou featuring tons of animals playing music and telling a story.

You're putting such intense personal bias against the ride and the backstory. Try to open yourself up and think through what you're claiming as fact.

GimpYancIent

I actively want it to fail. I love the Br'ers and am very upset to see them go. If I was alive back then, I'd be actively rooting for Pooh's failure as well.
Nah. Failure? Guests will ride it and do it multiple times because it will be the same fun log flume ride it was before. The trappings, decorations AA's etc, will be different but the ride will be the ride. There will be no boycott of the ride.

harryk

What with all the space they have, as Walt Disney said, they could keep expanding the experience. Why did they not build the Princess and the Frog ride in the same area, thereby duplicating Splash Mountain with a different theme? After all they have two Dumbo rides side by side and that concept works. But, I guess that I'm forgetting - they can't keep the maintenance up on Splash - what would they do with 2 rides of the same nature.

Disstevefan1

Nah. Failure? Guests will ride it and do it multiple times because it will be the same fun log flume ride it was before. The trappings, decorations AA's etc, will be different but the ride will be the ride. There will be no boycott of the ride.
Agreed. It is a very fun log flume ride and can't wait for it to re-open.

Tha Realest

What with all the space they have, as Walt Disney said, they could keep expanding the experience. Why did they not build the Princess and the Frog ride in the same area, thereby duplicating Splash Mountain with a different theme? After all they have two Dumbo rides side by side and that concept works. But, I guess that I'm forgetting - they can't keep the maintenance up on Splash - what would they do with 2 rides of the same nature.
I suspect a Splash flume ride might not have been the first though/option when designing a PATF attraction from the ground up, but who knows?

TheMaxRebo

Because a key part of this is to change the theme of the current Splash Mountain from something Disney has deemed problematic - so there was no way they would leave Splash as it was and just add a new Tiana ride

Now, to say they should rethemed Splash to something else - even something more generic/no IP - and then give Tiana a brand new ride that certainly is a valid argument, but the main thing here is changing the theme of Splash and Tiana is just the theme picked to do that

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

This perspective forgets that the inciting notion behind this transformation was doing away with the Song of the South property. Disney does not want to feature it in their parks anymore.

Every decision being made about the retheme is downstream of that goal. Which doesn't necessarily mean that any of the ideas that follow are lower in the heirachy of importance, just that the progression of ideas all stems out of that starting point. If Tiana got her own purpose-built ride next door Splash would still have closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom