News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

Vegas Disney Fan

Right, just saying “20th century restaurateur becomes involved in food production” is not quite as ridiculous as “18th century French princess decides to sell Windex.”
I think the problem with the backstory is a food co-op just isn’t a place that sounds fun to visit. I’d love to visit Tiana’s Place, but a grocery store? That’s a chore, not a treat.

I’d love to visit a Belle library but would be much less excited to visit a Belle book publishing company. This feels like the latter, they created something that simply doesn’t sound fun.

TheMaxRebo

I think the problem with the backstory is a food co-op just isn’t a place that sounds fun to visit. I’d love to visit Tiana’s Place, but a grocery store? That’s a chore, not a treat.

I’d love to visit a Belle library but would be much less excited to visit a Belle book publishing company. This feels like the latter, they created something that simply doesn’t sound fun.

I also think Disney of today minimizes the fact people want to experience what they see in the movies. Tiana's Place/Palace was a think in the movies .... The bayou and area with Mama Odie was a thing in the movie .... Focus on that rather creating a new co-op and salt mine

Bocabear

Right, just saying “20th century restaurateur becomes involved in food production” is not quite as ridiculous as “18th century French princess decides to sell Windex.”
Well...right, because so many successful restaurants in 1920 New Orleans created a food co-op and then went into commercial food production...
Now if they do "Small World Shipping & Freight", they can equip the boats with QR guns so as you float through the attraction, children can track the packages that will be placed close to the flume to see where the boxes are heading...Imagine the fun! You can exit through a Fed Ex/Kinkos where guests can make copies or buy shipping supplies!
Small World Shipping and Freight.jpg

Bocabear

It’s a shame you’re rooting for it to fail.
While I really hate what they are doing with the source material, Failure is really not possible...It was a great flume ride...it will continue to be just that... Whether people will love the overlay or not, they will still line up for a great water ride....
Advancing the storyline beyond "Her Dreams Came True" and she now runs the successful restaurant she wanted, doing what she is passionate about... we don't need to know that Naveen's gambling debts have added up and now she has to start a second business food co-op to keep him out of debtors prison.... lol

James Alucobond

Well...right, because so many successful restaurants in 1920 New Orleans created a food co-op and then went into commercial food production...
Now if they do "Small World Shipping & Freight", they can equip the boats with QR guns so as you float through the attraction, children can track the packages that will be placed close to the flume to see where the boxes are heading...Imagine the fun! You can exit through a Fed Ex/Kinkos where guests can make copies or buy shipping supplies!View attachment 718310
Again, I'm not saying you can't dislike the concept. I'm not super enamored with it either. Just saying the comparisons you're making are disingenuous. Tiana is an established entrepreneur who could reasonably branch out into other businesses. Most other Disney princesses, by contrast, either have a profession by birthright as royalty or become princesses as a means of escaping an undesirable existence (servitude for Cinderella, a droll life amongst backward provincials for Belle, etc.). None of the attractions you're listing are realistically at risk of similar treatment.

TheMaxRebo

While I really hate what they are doing with the source material, Failure is really not possible...It was a great flume ride...it will continue to be just that... Whether people will love the overlay or not, they will still line up for a great water ride....
Advancing the storyline beyond "Her Dreams Came True" and she now runs the successful restaurant she wanted, doing what she is passionate about... we don't need to know that Naveen's gambling debts have added up and now she has to start a second business food co-op to keep him out of debtors prison.... lol

Oh, they could extend the rethemed to a New Orleans Sq and take over Pirates as well and that ride could be visiting Naveen in debtors prison

Bocabear

Again, I'm not saying you can't dislike the concept. I'm not super enamored with it either. Just saying the comparisons you're making are disingenuous. Tiana is an established entrepreneur who could reasonably branch out into other businesses. Most other Disney princesses, by contrast, either have a profession by birthright as royalty or become princesses as a means of escaping an undesirable existence (servitude for Cinderella, a droll life amongst backward provincials for Belle, etc.). None of the attractions you're listing are realistically at risk of similar treatment.
But her dream was to have a restaurant...it is not a natural conclusion that she would then create a food co-op and employee owned commercial food manufacturing company... If she was always thinking of other businesses to create in the original film, then it might feel a little more authentic to her character... It is like saying Snow White enjoyed taking care of the 7 Dwarfs, so therefore when she had money and a prince, she would naturally open a home for indigent miners... or Rapunzel lived to paint, so therefore she would, with her big hair, become the mediaeval Bob Ross and create a line of art supplies and classes for the people in her town.... I think the storyline was a crazy leap in the plot that does not sound like a natural conclusion for the character at all...especially in 1920s New Orleans....

Stupido

But her dream was to have a restaurant...it is not a natural conclusion that she would then create a food co-op and employee owned commercial food manufacturing company... If she was always thinking of other businesses to create in the original film, then it might feel a little more authentic to her character... It is like saying Snow White enjoyed taking care of the 7 Dwarfs, so therefore when she had money and a prince, she would naturally open a home for indigent miners... or Rapunzel lived to paint, so therefore she would, with her big hair, become the mediaeval Bob Ross and create a line of art supplies and classes for the people in her town.... I think the storyline was a crazy leap in the plot that does not sound like a natural conclusion for the character at all...especially in 1920s New Orleans....
If only Disney ever addressed what happens when you finally accomplish your dream...

SnappyFairEastrussiancoursinghounds-max-1mb.gif

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Tiana's dream to grow once she had her restaurant. In the movie, her father tells her "You know the thing about good food? It brings folks together from all walks of life." Tiana was raised to view food as a community builder. If she had the means to create one, it is one thousand percent in character for her to go on to establish a co-op.

I don't think this is the most exciting idea for an attraction, and I really hope this whole co-op stays in the background of the ride, with the main focus being on a fun adventure in the Bayou getting ready for Mardi Gras. But anyone who says this food co-op doesn't make sense with Tiana truly hasn't been paying attention.

James Alucobond

I never said it was the natural conclusion. I said it was at least a semi-realistic possibility, unlike the majority of the ridiculous out-of-character anachronistic things you keep listing for some unknown reason.

Bocabear

If only Disney ever addressed what happens when you finally accomplish your dream...

View attachment 718313

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Tiana's dream to grow once she had her restaurant. In the movie, her father tells her "You know the thing about good food? It brings folks together from all walks of life." Tiana was raised to view food as a community builder. If she had the means to create one, it is one thousand percent in character for her to go on to establish a co-op.

I don't think this is the most exciting idea for an attraction, and I really hope this whole co-op stays in the background of the ride, with the main focus being on a fun adventure in the Bayou getting ready for Mardi Gras. But anyone who says this food co-op doesn't make sense with Tiana truly hasn't been paying attention.
So because her father told her "good food brings people together" and she wants to open a restaurant, she is therefore a community builder? ...Not understanding how her dream of restaurant ownership makes her a community leader who then wants to create an employee owned manufacturing company Has nothing to do with paying attention... The restaurant and bringing people together through food was her dream... Why is that not enough? and does this make a statement that the other Disney princesses are all slackers or self-absorbed because they did not become community activists and start corporations? lol

dmw

In the Parks
No
I wonder if people would be arguing the canon of a cartoon if there was not this internet thingy... 🤔

The decision (as much as I may disagree with it) has been made, and Disney can make up any story they want. I just hope the re-themed ride is as good as Splash (when it was all working and looking good). The ride itself will always be a fun ride, even if we prefer a different story.

Bocabear

I wonder if people would be arguing the canon of a cartoon if there was not this internet thingy... 🤔

The decision (as much as I may disagree with it) has been made, and Disney can make up any story they want. I just hope the re-themed ride is as good as Splash (when it was all working and looking good). The ride itself will always be a fun ride, even if we prefer a different story.
We can all agree on every point you made....And I of course hope for the ride to be amazing and the storyline to be engaging....
Splash mountain has always been a favorite attraction of mine all the way back to riding it at it's Disneyland debut in 1989. When WDW opened their version in 1992 I was surprised and pleased to see that we got the better 2.0 version...as opposed to our version of Pirates....lol

HoustonHorn

Premium Member

But here's the rub - the splash part is the same, but that's mere seconds of a 10 minute+ ride after a 30+ minute wait in standby. If the overwhelming majority of the ride underwhelms, or worse yet is preachy to the point of not being fun, that could have an actual impact on the ride's popularity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom