Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

jmuboy

Rays Berets? Since when was this a thing? I asked Google "Do people wear berets in Louisiana?". The AI said this-

It doesn't look like there's much info about whether people wear berets in Louisiana, but here's some related information about berets:

Popularity
Berets are associated with France and Spain, where they were common headwear before mass production began in the 19th century. They remain a trendy accessory today.

Symbolism
The beret has been worn by many famous artists and intellectuals, including Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, and Che Guevara. It has also been used as a symbol of resistance and revolution.

Maybe the salt dome miners were french?
France and Spain settled NOLA.
They also popularized berets.
All I can think of.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Rays Berets? Since when was this a thing? I asked Google "Do people wear berets in Louisiana?". The AI said this-

It doesn't look like there's much info about whether people wear berets in Louisiana, but here's some related information about berets:

Popularity
Berets are associated with France and Spain, where they were common headwear before mass production began in the 19th century. They remain a trendy accessory today.

Symbolism
The beret has been worn by many famous artists and intellectuals, including Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, and Che Guevara. It has also been used as a symbol of resistance and revolution.

Ray is Cajun, which are typically French by descent as France colonized Louisiana long before the Louisiana purchase in 1803 made it a state in 1812.

Also Berets aren't typically worn by the French, they are sold to tourists who associate them with France. Hence why a Cajun of French descent would be selling a Beret to tourist in Louisana, ie the ultimate tourist trap.

Brer Oswald

Ok, we rode TBA at the World yesterday. Here are the family's thoughts:
  • What story? There was a story?
  • The focus of this version of the ride is the music. Our entire log was singing along the entire time.
  • If you are focused on the music, the long, dark sections aren't boring.
  • The new finally song is fine, but since the ride is now all about the music from the movie, it is an odd choice to not throw in something we all know.
  • Log flume rides are fun, regardless of the theming.
In short: TBA is the PATF log flume equivalent of it's a small world. In other words: sing, sing, sing, scream, splash. 🤣 (Tiana's Bayou Sing-a-long would be a more accurate name.)

Splash Mountain was a masterclass in on-ride storytelling. TBA is definitely not that. Despite that, everyone I saw (ourselves included) came off the ride smiling.
🤷‍♀️

We'll see how DL's turns out.
To be perfectly honest, the music was the biggest disappointment about this retheme. I think it’s fair to consider Splash Mountain the theme park equivalent of a musical. The songs were bombastic and told a complete story. The lyrics were snappy and the music was something you’d enjoy listening to on repeat.

TBA on the other hand is a ride that happens to have music. If you took most of the vocal music out of the attraction…it would feel even more awkward, but you wouldn’t be losing much. Most of the vocals don’t even come from the characters, nor are they anywhere near as good as the film score.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

Popularity

Symbolism

I asked ChatGPT the other day about the murals and this is what it said:

1729385225365.png

Parteecia

I'm a bit annoyed with the way they are running Magic Key previews. They are doing it through virtual queue day of, but also, only running it for previews between 6-9 hours a day. If I get up at 7 am and don't get a virtual line reservation, then I have no reason to go to the parks. But since it's day of, I can't cancel my park reservation, I get a no show strike against me. I don't want to have to drive over an hour to go to the park when I know I can't even ride the ride that was the only reason I made the reservation in the first place, or get penalized for not going. I wish they at least did the vq reservations a day before or something. I mean, it makes sense that they want to force keyholders to go to the park to spend money, but it makes this keyholder perk seem more like a punishment. Especially given that probably less than a quarter of the keyholders with reservations into the park will actually get to ride the ride, assuming it doesn't break down.
They don't want people to be disappointed in person like with Rise.

Isn't there a second chance at noon?

AJFireman

They don't want people to be disappointed in person like with Rise.

Isn't there a second chance at noon?
But with some days the preview times are 3pm to 6pm. So does Disneyland hold back some VQ's for the 12 pm sort ? or do they release them all at 7am? Also some days coincide with CM previews so not sure how that will fit in unless they get a different time block. So if you do not get a VQ at 7am then you have to rush to the parks to try again. There are going to be a lot of upset MK Holders from the ones that are not successful and feel they wasted a day at the park because that was the only reason to visit.

mickEblu

To be perfectly honest, the music was the biggest disappointment about this retheme. I think it’s fair to consider Splash Mountain the theme park equivalent of a musical. The songs were bombastic and told a complete story. The lyrics were snappy and the music was something you’d enjoy listening to on repeat.

TBA on the other hand is a ride that happens to have music. If you took most of the vocal music out of the attraction…it would feel even more awkward, but you wouldn’t be losing much. Most of the vocals don’t even come from the characters, nor are they anywhere near as good as the film score.

They ripped most or all of the music / songs right off the PatF album right? Nothing was custom made for the ride except the finale song if I'm not mistaken.

Jedi14

They ripped most or all of the music / songs right off the PatF album right? Nothing was custom made for the ride except the finale song if I'm not mistaken.
All the instrumentals of the songs for the ride are new. Dig a little deeper is the only one with new vocals as well.

JSouth25

I got to the parks today and got to see the area around the ride with the walls down. It looks a lot better in person than I thought it would, the murals aren’t super noticeable and look better than the photos taken online imo. There were people riding tonight, and the cast members in front of the queue said they were, “special guests.” The lighting around the mountain looks nice as well.

Regardless of how you feel about the ride, it was really nice for me to go over there and see the walls down and life in that area of the park again, it was kinda depressing having nothing there but walls. Gonna be interested to see how I feel about the retheme once I go on the ride, and how it compares to WDW’s version.

Brer Oswald

That’s not exactly correct. They ripped Down in New Orleans, Almost There, and Going Down the Bayou from the film….mostly. It seems like they added a few extra drumbeats and swapped an instrument or two to avoid paying UMG licensing fees.

Now as for the “new”, the did record some new instrumentals for Going Down the Bayou, a new instrumental for Almost There post big drop, the new song, and Dig A Little Deeper which seems to be a completely brand new rendition.

The problem? Traditionally in a Disney dark ride, the animatronic characters will sing the songs, usually with lyrics that have context relevant to whatever is happening around them. That’s the case for Small World, Pirates, Mansion, and especially Splash. That is not the case with TBA. What they instead went with was a bunch of “disembodied voices” singing songs at random points like they were checking off a list. Down in New Orleans plays (lyrics unchanged) as you in a swampy pond (not the city). Tiana’s disembodied voice sings about almost being able to afford her restaurant as you pass by her co-op gardens. Going Down The Bayou makes sense where it is played, but the only singer is an invisible Ray who’s supposed to be deceased. Then we get to Dig a Little Deeper. Mama Odie isn’t singing it. We don’t know who is. And they sure seem to not know that Naveen and Tiana are human again as they constantly refer to the plight of “Prince Froggy”.

That’s not even getting into the fact that they use 4 different styles of music, none of which are the big band jazz we were all expecting. It’s just a bunch of disjointed, unmemorable renditions of the movie soundtrack placed in random spots they don’t really belong. Pure laziness. I can tell you that far more effort and attention went into organizing the soundtrack of the Winnie the Pooh ride next door than what went into TBA.

mickEblu

That’s not exactly correct. They ripped Down in New Orleans, Almost There, and Going Down the Bayou from the film….mostly. It seems like they added a few extra drumbeats and swapped an instrument or two to avoid paying UMG licensing fees.

Now as for the “new”, the did record some new instrumentals for Going Down the Bayou, a new instrumental for Almost There post big drop, the new song, and Dig A Little Deeper which seems to be a completely brand new rendition.

The problem? Traditionally in a Disney dark ride, the animatronic characters will sing the songs, usually with lyrics that have context relevant to whatever is happening around them. That’s the case for Small World, Pirates, Mansion, and especially Splash. That is not the case with TBA. What they instead went with was a bunch of “disembodied voices” singing songs at random points like they were checking off a list. Down in New Orleans plays (lyrics unchanged) as you in a swampy pond (not the city). Tiana’s disembodied voice sings about almost being able to afford her restaurant as you pass by her co-op gardens. Going Down The Bayou makes sense where it is played, but the only singer is an invisible Ray who’s supposed to be deceased. Then we get to Dig a Little Deeper. Mama Odie isn’t singing it. We don’t know who is. And they sure seem to not know that Naveen and Tiana are human again as they constantly refer to the plight of “Prince Froggy”.

That’s not even getting into the fact that they use 4 different styles of music, none of which are the big band jazz we were all expecting. It’s just a bunch of disjointed, unmemorable renditions of the movie soundtrack placed in random spots they don’t really belong. Pure laziness. I can tell you that far more effort and attention went into organizing the soundtrack of the Winnie the Pooh ride next door than what went into TBA.

Well said. And yes, how can I forget the Afro Cuban rendition of "Dig a Little Deeper?" I actually like what they did there musically but I'm not sure if its just because if it and Mondo are one bright spot in a bunch of blah and darkness. An endless list of puzzling decisions. You really can only conclude that the talent just wasn't there and that they just caved under the pressure of having to follow up Splash. As well as having priorities in all the wrong places.

100% agree on Pooh

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Don't forget, the Maroon 5 guy wrote several new songs that were cut, and I can only imagine how great those were. Since they couldn't just shift the storyline to include the songs from the movie, they had to just include the songs from the movie without it making any sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom