Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

Cast previews start October 22, while Magic Key holders begin October 21:

View attachment 821174

Oh, okay, good to know! So the Magic Key previews are starting before the CM Previews?! Interesting. Thank you also to @chadwpalm and @Disney Analyst for also chiming in with the latest info on previews.

So I'll make a note to check this thread on Monday the 21st for our first few ride-thru videos. I hope everyone has a fun fall weekend in the meantime while we await Monday! Rake some leaves! Buy another pumpkin for the porch! Wear a snazzy new sweater to Costco or Target! Use a spicy bourbon or rye in an evening cocktail! 🎃

I wonder how folks in TDA and Glendale will be sleeping the next few nights before their latest project gets revealed to a SoCal audience with notoriously high standards? All will be revealed on Monday! :)

Too Many Hats

Temper your expectations. The "pacing" and staging changes are because Disneyland has a different layout, and they weren't rebuilding the show building. The contents (music, animatronics, and "story") will be exactly the same.

I hear you. But "staging changes" (if Drew is being truthful) are not nothing. A little can go a long way. And the pacing and staging issues are among the most embarrassing features of MK's version. I'm not expecting a masterpiece; I'm hoping for a solid "C" grade.

Brer Oswald

I hear you. But "staging changes" (if Drew is being truthful) are not nothing. A little can go a long way. And the pacing and staging issues are among the most embarrassing features of MK's version. I'm not expecting a masterpiece; I'm hoping for a solid "C" grade.
It’s not nothing, but at most is raising it from a 4/10 to a 6/10. The biggest issues are core to the lack of creative direction. Most of the figures suck. The soundtrack feels like an afterthought. The dialogue is horrendous. The story is meant for a preschool episode.

Too Many Hats

It’s not nothing, but at most is raising it from a 4/10 to a 6/10.

That would be incredible. Haha.

The biggest issues are core to the lack of creative direction. Most of the figures suck. The soundtrack feels like an afterthought. The dialogue is horrendous. The story is meant for a preschool episode.

Agreed. Big picture, the attraction is a trainwreck. I'm still incredulous WDI dropped the ball this hard, given the IP has all the potential in the world and Splash provided a flawless blueprint. Instead, they stood on the shoulders of giants and... squandered it all.

But if we zoom in on guests simply looking to have a fun time on a thrilling log flume at a theme park where they paid $206 at the door, pacing and staging improvements could accomplish a lot. In the moment, guests won't be thinking about the asinine storyline (they won't even fully absorb the dialogue, hopefully, as they speed through the layout) or the laziness of the soundtrack or the minimal animation of the critters. They'll get a sense of the premise and catch a glimpse of some critters, and that will be enough to make it a passable experience.

As of right now, the MK version fails to even achieve this. It's a dull repetitive ride with long stretches of nothing during which guests have ample time to ponder why they waited 2 hours for a minimally-themed Dora the Explorer ride that used to be a masterpiece.

Brer Oswald

That would be incredible. Haha.

Agreed. Big picture, the attraction is a trainwreck. I'm still incredulous WDI dropped the ball this hard, given the IP has all the potential in the world and Splash provided a flawless blueprint. Instead, they stood on the shoulders of giants and... squandered it all.

But if we zoom in on guests simply looking to have a fun time on a thrilling log flume at a theme park where they paid $206 at the door, pacing and staging improvements could accomplish a lot. In the moment, guests won't be thinking about the asinine storyline (they won't even fully absorb the dialogue, hopefully, as they speed through the layout) or the laziness of the soundtrack or the minimal animation of the critters. They'll get a sense of the premise and catch a glimpse of some critters, and that will be enough to make it a passable experience.

As of right now, the MK version fails to even achieve this. It's a dull repetitive ride with long stretches of nothing during which guests have ample time to ponder why they waited 2 hours for a minimally-themed Dora the Explorer ride that used to be a masterpiece.
The major difference will be that it’s a fast Dora log flume ride rather than a slow Dora boat ride. That might be enough to have a good time. Idk. Not crazy about how wet your feet get on DL Splash, and I don’t expect that to change. I did it for the stellar soundtrack and the animatronics. Will I do the same for TBA? Doubtful.

mickEblu

Ultimate question - Will Naveen do something in this version of the attraction?
View attachment 821176

Naveen was just far more appealing as a frog. We know Tiana wasn’t allowed to be a frog but I don’t think any of the fictional people of Maldonia would have minded if Naveen was a frog. The adventure could have been Frog Naveen getting lost or captured in the bayou by Facilier or insert obstacle/ bad guy and Tiana, Louis and crew go find/ save him. The ride would have a better story and Tiana could still be a girl boss. Just came up with that in 30 seconds. Still can’t believe the story they went with. It’s like all the interns put an idea in a hat and they picked one.

Last edited:

Too Many Hats

The major difference will be that it’s a fast Dora log flume ride rather than a slow Dora boat ride.

Pretty much. A fast Dora the Explorer ride could be very fun, in a superficial way. It’s not gonna be an all-time classic.

Not crazy about how wet your feet get on DL Splash, and I don’t expect that to change. I did it for the stellar soundtrack and the animatronics. Will I do the same for TBA? Doubtful.

I feel the exact same way. If Disney actually cared about the guest experience, they might’ve taken this opportunity to address the log design issue that causes the deeply unpleasant “flooding.” I can’t stress enough how preposterously, almost violently drenched I’ve gotten on this ride. I’ll already be less interested in riding TBA; will it be worth risking ruining my clothes to ride TBA on a cold day in January?

DrAlice

Ok, we rode TBA at the World yesterday. Here are the family's thoughts:
  • What story? There was a story?
  • The focus of this version of the ride is the music. Our entire log was singing along the entire time.
  • If you are focused on the music, the long, dark sections aren't boring.
  • The new finally song is fine, but since the ride is now all about the music from the movie, it is an odd choice to not throw in something we all know.
  • Log flume rides are fun, regardless of the theming.
In short: TBA is the PATF log flume equivalent of it's a small world. In other words: sing, sing, sing, scream, splash. 🤣 (Tiana's Bayou Sing-a-long would be a more accurate name.)

Splash Mountain was a masterclass in on-ride storytelling. TBA is definitely not that. Despite that, everyone I saw (ourselves included) came off the ride smiling.
🤷‍♀️

We'll see how DL's turns out.

mickEblu

Ok, we rode TBA at the World yesterday. Here are the family's thoughts:
  • What story? There was a story?
  • The focus of this version of the ride is the music. Our entire log was singing along the entire time.
  • If you are focused on the music, the long, dark sections aren't boring.
  • The new finally song is fine, but since the ride is now all about the music from the movie, it is an odd choice to not throw in something we all know.
  • Log flume rides are fun, regardless of the theming.
In short: TBA is the PATF log flume equivalent of it's a small world. In other words: sing, sing, sing, scream, splash. 🤣 (Tiana's Bayou Sing-a-long would be a more accurate name.)

Splash Mountain was a masterclass in on-ride storytelling. TBA is definitely not that. Despite that, everyone I saw (ourselves included) came off the ride smiling.
🤷‍♀️

We'll see how DL's turns out.

I think what you meant to say was Tiana’s Bayou Sing-a-Log? Hahah

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom