Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Professortango1

I must have missed Construction Worker Jasmine at the park. Is this an after dark event?
Not her standard Princess look..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-26-16-00-55-41_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-26-16-00-55-41_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 41

Professortango1

It’s not? Why, because her skin is covered up? I didn’t like that change either but at least it still looks like her.
Her animated outfit is pretty different than her current look. Similar color scheme, but very different style.

I understand the decision not to have her in her princess look in the ride. And it then makes sense to tie in her in park version. But I can see this being temporary and her full gown returning in the future. It's fine.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Tiana’s bayou outfit would be less cringey if she actually, you know, went on a bayou adventure.

And it’s not just her outfit. The character design is different. WDI made a choice that this Tiana would be older and a few beignets heavier. I wonder whether there were more conversations about Tiana’s wardrobe/figure or about the attraction’s storyline. Their priorities were way out of whack for this project.

mickEblu

Her animated outfit is pretty different than her current look. Similar color scheme, but very different style.

I understand the decision not to have her in her princess look in the ride. And it then makes sense to tie in her in park version. But I can see this being temporary and her full gown returning in the future. It's fine.

Might be a little different but no comparison to the Departure they took with Tiana. Completely different outfit and let’s not forget the haircut. The full gown being part of the finale was a no brainer and they didn’t even get that right.

mickEblu

Tiana’s bayou outfit would be less cringey if she actually, you know, went on a bayou adventure.

And it’s not just her outfit. The character design is different. WDI made a choice that this Tiana would be older and a few beignets heavier. I wonder whether there were more conversations about Tiana’s wardrobe/figure or about the attraction’s storyline. Their priorities were way out of whack for this project.

Right. The haircut. Her face although this could be partially due to the 2D to 3D thing and/ or using the Belle prototype AA

Jedi14

Might be a little different but no comparison to the Departure they took with Tiana. Completely different outfit and let’s not forget the haircut. The full gown being part of the finale was a no brainer and they didn’t even get that right.
She’s had different hairstyles at the parks before, like in Friendship Faire and on the Disney Wonder.

Parteecia

Very well said! It bothers the heck out of me too.

I can not think of any other Princess that has suffered this aging pantsuit fate that Tiana has. Any time a Princess, or any Character really, appears in Disneyland they are portrayed exactly as their movie appearance/clothing shows.

Except for Tiana. She couldn't be a Princess any more. They had to make her into a manager from the payroll department.

Wouldn't you just love to have been in the conference room when they came up with that idea? "I know, let's make her look older and obscure her figure and put her in pants and a dumb hat. She's an explorer now. 6 year old girls will love that!"

new-tiana-outfit.png
I just noticed that they're specifically jodhpurs and riding boots. Not widely considered to be a good outfit for hiking through a bayou adventure. Does she have a horse?

Edited for spelling. Thank you @TP2000.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Agreed.

I think the real test to see if they have learned anything from the Tiana debut mess of the past 30 days is what they will say, or not say, at D23 Expo about six weeks from now. They've got only two choices, and by the time D23 Expo closes on August 11th it will be obvious which option they chose:
  1. If they announce changes to the Disneyland version and a delayed opening pushed into 2025, with a vague allusion that WDW will see changes at some point too, we'll know they're serious and have actually learned a lesson. They'd make that sort of announcement with very carefully-worded statements, obviously, but the message would be clear.
  2. But if all they do at D23 Expo is talk about how magical and immersive Tiana's Bayou Misadventure (thanks @Figments Friend !) is, and how it's an instantly beloved new classic that shows how talented and brilliant everyone at Disney Experiences is, then we'll know they stuck their head in the sand and are refusing to admit mistakes were made.
They've got six weeks to figure it out. Choose wisely, Mr. D'Amaro! 🧐

My pleasure, TP.
Had a feeling you would enjoy the title, as much as I enjoy your legendary titles for ‘Millennium Falcon : Target Run’ and ‘Star Wars : Rise Before Dawn’…!
Classics!
🤣

Regarding the two choices listed above as to what will be said at the D23 ta-do in August….i can already tell you which of the two it will be.
Two, of course.

I would be very surprised if anything is even remotely done to address the inherent issues, but there is still a sliver of me thinking slight changes will happen for Disneyland’s edition.
Not just because of the differences in the Attraction layout and staging areas, but….because…. ‘Disneyland’.
It NEEDS to be ‘better’.
Disneyland IS better, and deserves it.

🙂

-

CraftyFox

I just noticed that they're specifically jodphurs and riding boots. Not widely considered to be a good outfit for hiking through a bayou adventure. Does she have a horse?
It’s a reference to the late-1920s date the ride was set. I know I’m probably alone in this, but I really enjoy Tiana’s new, historically referenced hairstyle. I’m under the impression that this look (based on the concept art that we’ve been given) will be used on the upcoming animated series whenever/if-ever it comes out. Usually when character get redesigned they become *less* historically accurate so I find the change to be a delightful surprise. Just personal preference!

TP2000

I just noticed that they're specifically jodphurs and riding boots. Not widely considered to be a good outfit for hiking through a bayou adventure. Does she have a horse?

Isn't that great? I noticed that a few months ago and used the word "jodhpurs" for the first time in decades. Since...

My younger sister went through a huge horse phase in the early/mid 70's and took dressage lessons and had tons of outfits and a horse in a barn kept for her in the far suburbs of Seattle. I'm pretty sure my mom was into it all just because they could go buy specific outfits that made my sister look like an extra in a PBS period drama about the English countryside. This was around the time of Upstairs, Downtstairs, after all.

But yeah... Tiana. How and why they felt the need to De-Princess her is a baffling decision. This is the only Disney Princess to get this treatment, and it's odd. Setting aside the cringey backstory and the unflattering wardrobe, I'm still baffled why they felt the need to do this to this one Princess. None of the other ladies was subjected to the same De-Princess process, much less an aging overlay and a frumpy pantsuit to tromp around in. It's just really dumb. :(

I almost want to use the word "insulting" to describe what they've done to Princess Tiana here, but I hesitate because maybe there's a really good reason we don't know about yet?

CaptinEO

Thinking about how they handle the messaging on Tiana's Bayou Misadventure at D23 Expo this August, I'm struck by how important that could be for all future D and E Tickets they've got in planning as part of DisneylandForward and any WDW expansion that happens as part of their $60 Billion spending on the parks for the next 10 years.

If they refuse to learn a lesson from Tiana's messy mess ride, what the heck does that mean for the future? I'd hate to see Billions in park investment get poured into new rides that have vapid and boring plots with any drama or emotion removed from them by HR.

What they say about this at D23 Expo could be a relief, or a warning that the future looks even bleaker than the present.
The people running Disney have a history of not only ignoring feedback, but even gloating about their failing products.

When Galaxy's Edge opened and Disneyland was dead for 3 months Bob Iger in an investor call gave a comment about how the land was exceeding all expectations.

Really? A land that took 5 years and a billion dollars to build was supposed to make Disneyland guests not show up?

Also the fact everyone complained about the land not having original star wars film characters, aliens/droids, or any music from day one and nothing has been done to address this 5 years out, shows how little Disney thinks of its own fans.

Tomorrowland had more Star Wars walk around characters than Galaxy's Edge.

When Star Wars/ Marvel movies or shows fail in recent times Disney and the creatives have been blaming the fans and deflect legitimate criticism by calling them sexists/racists. Instead of addressing their bad writing and mismanagement of the brands.

Lets also not forget that Bob Iger was just waiting for Eisner to leave to fix the failing California Adventure. We likely need to see some more resignations before changes are made, otherwise the ego of some executive might be hurt.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I'd imagine Disneyland's Bayou Ride design was locked in and budgeted a long time ago, changes would take a very long time to be made, especially fabricating props or animatronics. I don't expect the feedback from WDW to change Disneyland's ride at all.

Furthermore, Disney leadership and WDI is so far stuck up its own rear that I guarantee you they will never address criticism for the attraction and will call critics bigots/racists. Heck, they made a national geographic documentary for redoing Epcot's front entrance, I'm sure they are patting themselves on the back for Tiana as well.

EPCOTCenterLover

Aging Tiana in-park and on the ride bugs me. Why does she have to turn frumpy and work while the other princesses get to stay all shiny in their ballgowns? You don't see Snow White in waders advocating for forest conservation, or Cinderella in a pantsuit testifying about workers' rights, or Belle with a toolbelt building Little Free Libraries.

Even non-princess Alice isn't walking around as a grownup reminiscing about her time in the rabbit hole. Keep the fantasy!

Let the restaurant stay but let her be in her ballgown best.

It should have been a book report ride.
It bugs me too. I love your other examples. Made me laugh because it's so spot on. :)
Here Disney has a beautiful princess with charm and drive to boot, and they turn her into a 30ish working woman when redoing a world class ride- when she could have been working her magic through the tale PATF told. Big mistake.

Jedi14

But yeah... Tiana. How and why they felt the need to De-Princess her is a baffling decision. This is the only Disney Princess to get this treatment, and it's odd. Setting aside the cringey backstory and the unflattering wardrobe, I'm still baffled why they felt the need to do this to this one Princess. None of the other ladies was subjected to the same De-Princess process, much less an aging overlay and a frumpy pantsuit to tromp around in. It's just really dumb. :(

I almost want to use the word "insulting" to describe what they've done to Princess Tiana here, but I hesitate because maybe there's a really good reason we don't know about yet?
I’m confused how her wearing a different outfit is “de-princessing” her when she also wears a dress and crown in the ride. It’s also only a year after the movie, so the aging is not as drastic as some are making it out to be.

CaptinEO

I’m confused how her wearing a different outfit is “de-princessing” her when she also wears a dress and crown in the ride. It’s also only a year after the movie, so the aging is not as drastic as some are making it out to be.
The majority of the ride she is not in her iconic and well known costume. The same costume has also apparently been removed from the walk around character as well.

They also have people that are in their 40s playing her around the park now. How far in the future does this sequel take place?

It is nice to see them cast older individuals as walk around characters though.

TP2000

I read this website's review of this ride posted just above, and this part made me chuckle...

Remember how a Parks Blog upchuck of info back in the headier days of 2023 pre-opening mentioned that Tiana's dad would be mentioned in the queue pre-show to reflect on what it was like for him as a Black American in President Wilson's strictly segregated troops of World War I? Luckily, in 2024 they backtracked a bit from the DEI cringe and recrafted that story into one of more inclusive and unifying language celebrating all American veterans and the sacrifices they've made for generations to clean up European messes.

It turns out that story element is just a newspaper clipping on a wall, and.... the article is in French. 🇫🇷 🤣

Tianas-Bayou-Adventure_Full_56677.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom