Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Professortango1

I think shoving the ride in Splash forced them to change Tiana as the environment is clearly rustic and natural versus a city. That means either Tiana is a frog, which nobody wants, or she's in a dress in the middle of the bayou which looks odd. So they needed to give her some bayou appropriate clothes.

I just wish we had a better plot.

Off the top of my head I would have had some magical reason why Naveen is relapsing into Frog form. Naveen and Tiana in the bayou and he magically transforms back into a frog and is lost. Tiana and Lewis search for him throughout a variety of scenes. They don't ask for our help since we don't need to be an active character. They find him perched above the 2nd drop, but some mishap causes him to get washed into the drop with us. We see the world from his perspective, discovering a group of frog musicians that can really play! Tiana tells him to stop messing around via big Tiana gag and tells him that he needs to see Mama Odie to reverse the spell.

Similar finale but with Tiana and Naveen in final scene and not Odie.

Still doesn't feature voodoo and Facilier, no big scares or "scary" drop, but still allows the characters to be doing something more exciting than looking for musicians. Also subverts damsel in distress cliche as modern stories love to do.

mickEblu

Because she's not in Fantasyland?

Because they couldn't just celebrate the fact that TBA was the first attraction featuring a Black princess. She also had to be a girl boss but with a sweet side because it's a co-op but wait there's more...she's an adventurer too. Now it's possible some or all of this was a natural evolution of the story BUT this story only came about due to two very specific constraints.

#1 Tiana could NOT be a frog.
#2 Facilier is a NO-NO.

Meaning a book report is not possible. So now your re asking the kind of people who came up with the new POTC auction scene script to come up with an original story but worse because now its the early 2020's and creativity is stifled due to imagineers also having DEI constraints.

When Leonard Maltin retires I'm willing to step in.

Last edited:

Parteecia

Tiana in her ballgown in NOS and a book report ride that takes place in the bayou except for the ending party. Solved.

ETA I mean, you're on a huge concrete sidewalk all around the ride before you enter the line to head "out of town" so even if she's over in the area she's not out in the wilds.

Last edited:

Jedi14

Because they couldn't just celebrate the fact that TBA was the first attraction featuring a Black princess. She also had to be a girl boss but with a sweet side because it's a co-op but wait there's more...she's an adventurer too. Now it's possible some or all of this was a natural evolution of the story BUT this story only came about due to two very specific constraints.

#1 Tiana could NOT be a frog.
#2 Facilier is a NO-NO.

Meaning a book report is not possible. So now your asking the kind of people who came up with the new POTC auction scene script to come up with an original story but worse because now its the early 2020's and creativity is stifled due to imagineers also having DEI constraints.

When Leonard Maltin retires I'm willing to step in.
Tiana has had a new outfit in almost every show she’s been in since the movie came out. It shouldn’t be surprising that they would give her two new outfits. They refer to her a Princess Tiana all the time, they’re not afraid to refer to her as one just because she’s not wearing her ballgown/wedding dress in the bayou. Dr. Facilier still shows up at the parks, they just chose not to use him.

mickEblu

Tiana has had a new outfit in almost every show she’s been in since the movie came out. It shouldn’t be surprising that they would give her two new outfits. They refer to her a Princess Tiana all the time, they’re not afraid to refer to her as one just because she’s not wearing her ballgown/wedding dress in the bayou. Dr. Facilier still shows up at the parks, they just chose not to use him.

How much money would it cost to stop having Dr Facilier running around the parks? 0$

How much money would it cost to remove him from an attraction and replace him with something else?

They are future proofing the ride.

Parteecia

I was referring to her in-park & ride frumpy "adventure" outfit compared to other princesses in all of their glory.

mickEblu

What a great PR move it would be if they corrected their mistakes on the DL version of TBA. This retheme has been so divisive. This is a great opportunity for a company trying to find their footing again to say "we hear you fans." It would be very refreshing and they have the opportunity to do it. There's no reason they cant wait until Spring 2025 to open TBA if that's what it takes. Also, unlike the way they condemned Splash Mountain publicly they have never done that with Dr. Facilier. Who's absence is one of the biggest issues people have with this retheme.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Like I said before... if they wanted to tell a getting the band back together story... They should have watched The Blues Brothers first :)
WDWMJJail.jpg

TP2000

Aging Tiana in-park and on the ride bugs me. Why does she have to turn frumpy and work while the other princesses get to stay all shiny in their ballgowns? You don't see Snow White in waders advocating for forest conservation, or Cinderella in a pantsuit testifying about workers' rights, or Belle with a toolbelt building Little Free Libraries.

Even non-princess Alice isn't walking around as a grownup reminiscing about her time in the rabbit hole. Keep the fantasy!

Let the restaurant stay but let her be in her ballgown best.

It should have been a book report ride.

Very well said! It bothers the heck out of me too.

I can not think of any other Princess that has suffered this aging pantsuit fate that Tiana has. Any time a Princess, or any Character really, appears in Disneyland they are portrayed exactly as their movie appearance/clothing shows.

Except for Tiana. She couldn't be a Princess any more. They had to make her into a manager from the payroll department.

Wouldn't you just love to have been in the conference room when they came up with that idea? "I know, let's make her look older and obscure her figure and put her in pants and a dumb hat. She's an explorer now. 6 year old girls will love that!"

new-tiana-outfit.png

Ghost93

I can not think of any other Princess that has suffered this aging pantsuit fate that Tiana has. Any time a Princess, or any Character really, appears in Disneyland they are portrayed exactly as their movie appearance/clothing shows.

Except for Tiana. She couldn't be a Princess any more. They had to make her into a manager from the payroll department.

Wouldn't you just love to have been in the conference room when they came up with that idea? "I know, let's make her look older and obscure her figure and put her in pants and a dumb hat. She's an explorer now. 6 year old girls will love that!"

new-tiana-outfit.png
I think it makes sense for Tiana to wear an adventure outfit in the Bayou. However, I would have made so that the first time we see a Tiana animatronic (when she is in the barn/lifthill) she's in her classic princess dress. That way it makes it clear that Tiana's change of clothes is specific to the adventure and that she normally gets to dress like a princess.

TP2000

What a great PR move it would be if they corrected their mistakes on the DL version of TBA. This retheme has been so divisive. This is a great opportunity for a company trying to find their footing again to say "we hear you fans." It would be very refreshing and they have the opportunity to do it. There's no reason they cant wait until Spring 2025 to open TBA if that's what it takes.

Agreed.

I think the real test to see if they have learned anything from the Tiana debut mess of the past 30 days is what they will say, or not say, at D23 Expo about six weeks from now. They've got only two choices, and by the time D23 Expo closes on August 11th it will be obvious which option they chose:
  1. If they announce changes to the Disneyland version and a delayed opening pushed into 2025, with a vague allusion that WDW will see changes at some point too, we'll know they're serious and have actually learned a lesson. They'd make that sort of announcement with very carefully-worded statements, obviously, but the message would be clear.
  2. But if all they do at D23 Expo is talk about how magical and immersive Tiana's Bayou Misadventure (thanks @Figments Friend !) is, and how it's an instantly beloved new classic that shows how talented and brilliant everyone at Disney Experiences is, then we'll know they stuck their head in the sand and are refusing to admit mistakes were made.
They've got six weeks to figure it out. Choose wisely, Mr. D'Amaro! 🧐

mickEblu

new-tiana-outfit.png

It's very annoying and the kind of thing that could have only been cooked up in the early 2020's with a company culture completely engrossed in DEI box checking mentality. I will bet one zillion dollars that if this ride opened in 2015 the attraction and Tiana would look very different.

TP2000

Thinking about how they handle the messaging on Tiana's Bayou Misadventure at D23 Expo this August, I'm struck by how important that could be for all future D and E Tickets they've got in planning as part of DisneylandForward and any WDW expansion that happens as part of their $60 Billion spending on the parks for the next 10 years.

If they refuse to learn a lesson from Tiana's messy mess ride, what the heck does that mean for the future? I'd hate to see Billions in park investment get poured into new rides that have vapid and boring plots with any drama or emotion removed from them by HR.

What they say about this at D23 Expo could be a relief, or a warning that the future looks even bleaker than the present.

mickEblu

Thinking about how they handle the messaging on Tiana's Bayou Misadventure at D23 Expo this August, I'm struck by how important that could be for all future D and E Tickets they've got in planning as part of DisneylandForward and any WDW expansion that happens as part of their $60 Billion spending on the parks for the next 10 years.

If they refuse to learn a lesson from Tiana's messy mess ride, what the heck does that mean for the future? I'd hate to see Billions in park investment get poured into new rides that have vapid and boring plots with any drama or emotion removed from them by HR.

What they say about this at D23 Expo could be a relief, or a warning that the future looks even bleaker than the present.

This mess completely dampened any enthusiasm I had for DL Forward. Outside of a themed E ticket coaster I'm not sure anything can get me excited at this point.

Jedi14

new-tiana-outfit.png
A lot of characters at the parks were new or embellished outfits instead of direct one to ones, like Ariel and Jasmine. Disney seems to like to take advantage of Princess and the Frog having a set time period and giving Tiana new outfits for different shows she’s in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom