Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

EagleScout610

Causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Side note: Did this fox from America Sings ever end up on Splash Mountain? I feel like he did but I can't place him. I pulled him up to showcase good character design vs. the grotesque monstrosity on the new ride, but I'm not even sure he was on the old ride.
View attachment 793989
He was in the Laughin' Place.
Screenshot_20240623_111310_YouTube.jpg

Seems the lighting on him was hit or miss for the last few years Splash was open so I don't blame you for missing him.

Professortango1

I keep bringing them up because I think they are very special, and I see that's how some are evaluating TBA ("TBA's critters aren't Splash-level!"). But in some sense, I think those AAs were wasted on Splash because (except when there was a log jam), the blinking eyes weren't noticed by guests.
Having riden that ride plenty as a child and as an adult, I would not say they were wasted. We are not moving that quickly where we cannot see how great the figures looked and moved.

Brer Oswald

Having riden that ride plenty as a child and as an adult, I would not say they were wasted. We are not moving that quickly where we cannot see how great the figures looked and moved.
Agreed. I would say they had the perfect amount of movement to give the illusion of life. Not to mention the staging. Itโ€™s not an easy task to take figures from another attraction and stage them in a way that made them feel like they were designed for the โ€œnewerโ€ attraction, but thatโ€™s exactly what they did for the America Sings figures in Splash.

SuddenStorm

Agreed. I would say they had the perfect amount of movement to give the illusion of life. Not to mention the staging. Itโ€™s not an easy task to take figures from another attraction and stage them in a way that made them feel like they were designed for the โ€œnewerโ€ attraction, but thatโ€™s exactly what they did for the America Sings figures in Splash.

Thank Dave Feiten for that- apparently the original staging was terrible so he was asked to go in and fix it.

DavidDL

I actually have faith that one of my major complaints (the pacing) with what I've seen of Tiana's Bayou Adventure will be improved in the Disneyland version. I timed the distance between the entrance of the show building (after Slippin' Falls) and the Laughin' Place drop on both versions of Splash using a few ride through videos. For WDW's the time is nearly 3 whole minutes. Which was great for their version of Splash since there was so much more to see and for many, put it in a league above Disneyland's.

Meanwhile, over here at Disneyland, the time between these two points is only about a minute and 20 seconds. Which means in that minute and twenty seconds (just under half the time of WDW's) we will need to encounter: the first Louis animatronic, first critter band, Tiana, firefly projection, second critter band with Tiana and Louis and Tiana and Louis again (with Louis stuck in the log near the frogs) before finally reaching the Mama Odie drop and former Laughin' Place, which also seems tighter/shorter, with the exception of Burrow's Lament (which WDW did not have).

This realization sort of lends itself to my conspiracy theory that Tiana's was intended/designed as a West Coast attraction and was just sort of shoe-horned into WDW. It fits better between New Orleans Square and Critter Country than it does in Frontierland (obviously). I could be wrong about the pacing but if I'm right, then it will be sort of weird to consider that the very thing that for years made WDW's the superior Splash, would now cause it to become the inferior Tiana's.

Disstevefan1

I actually have faith that one of my major complaints (the pacing) with what I've seen of Tiana's Bayou Adventure will be improved in the Disneyland version. I timed the distance between the entrance of the show building (after Slippin' Falls) and the Laughin' Place drop on both versions of Splash using a few ride through videos. For WDW's the time is nearly 3 whole minutes. Which was great for their version of Splash since there was so much more to see and for many, put it in a league above Disneyland's.

Meanwhile, over here at Disneyland, the time between these two points is only about a minute and 20 seconds. Which means in that minute and twenty seconds (just under half the time of WDW's) we will need to encounter: the first Louis animatronic, first critter band, Tiana, firefly projection, second critter band with Tiana and Louis and Tiana and Louis (with Louis stuck in the log near frogs) before finally reaching the Mama Odie drop and former Laughin' Place\, which also seems tighter/shorter, with the exception of Burrow's Lament (which WDW did not have).

This realization sort of lends itself to my conspiracy theory that Tiana's was intended/designed as a West Coast attraction and was just sort of shoe-horned into WDW. It fits better between New Orleans Square and Critter Country than it does in Frontierland (obviously). I could be wrong about the pacing but if I'm right, then it will be sort of weird to consider that the very thing that for years made WDW's the superior Splash, would now cause it to become the inferior Tiana's.
I am sure Disney will learn from their mistakes made in WDW's version and fix them in the DLR version.

DLR wins again.

mickEblu

Meanwhile, over here at Disneyland, the time between these two points is only about a minute and 20 seconds. Which means in that minute and twenty seconds (just under half the time of WDW's) we will need to encounter: the first Louis animatronic, first critter band, Tiana, firefly projection, second critter band with Tiana and Louis and Tiana and Louis (with Louis stuck in the log near frogs) before finally reaching the Mama Odie drop and former Laughin' Place, which also seems tighter/shorter, with the exception of Burrow's Lament (which WDW did not have).

The pace will help for sure but it won't be enough to make this ride decent if they don't fix the lame dialogue, stage the figures better, keep some of the America sings AA's and add some sort of tonal change (preferably suspense) on the final lift hill.

DavidDL

To be clear, I make no final claims yet to either TBAs being better or worse than the Splash they replaced because I haven't been on either one yet. And I have only been on the Florida one a few times, many years ago. My statements regarding its superiority are just echoes of sentiments seemingly shared by the majority of folks I've encountered in the parks and within the online realm. Despite only being on it a handful of times, though, I would be inclined to agree with them.

Although the debate about which Splash is best honestly feels like a moot point when Tokyo's exists. The fact that OLC cares enough to actually maintain their attractions automatically makes that one the best one, in my book.

I think Splash Mountain had a better storyline (from what I have seen so far) but I will still reserve judgement for which attraction I think is "better" until I ride it for myself. While not Splash's fault, the fact that stateside-Disney allowed Disneyland's to fall into such a state of disrepair will not do it any favors in my eyes when comparison time comes. And although storyline helps, it's not an automatic indicator of superiority. Attractions like Mansion and Pirates are a bit vague/simple in this regard while attractions like Space have basically no storyline whatsoever. Yet, these are beloved and classic attractions still.

Will Splash be the superior attraction to Tiana's in Disneyland? If Tiana's has the same issues as WDW's then in theory, yes. But a better paced Tiana's whose effects work/are maintained over time may give it the edge for me over the broken lighting and figures or exposed work ladders in the Laughing Place that I've seen for many, many years in DL.

But the jury is out even on that one because Tiana's figures and effects have been suffering heavily over in WDW so far. Not to mention the huge amount of downtimes. In a perfect world, our parks would give their attractions the love that OLC does. But that'll obviously never happen.

TLDR; I'm hopeful that a "working as intended" Tiana's out in DL will be better than Splash in the state Disney had allowed it to degrade to when it closed down. Judging both with broken effects? Splash would likely have the edge because of the stronger storyline. But Tokyo's Splash beats all other variations of Splash or TBA, at the end of the day.

In other words, I should probably just book a trip to Japan. ๐Ÿคช

Ghost93

The pace will help for sure but it won't be enough to make this ride decent if they don't fix the lame dialogue, stage the figures better, keep some of the America sings AA's and add some sort of tonal change (preferably suspense) on the final lift hill.
Maybe Disneyland can utilize the "Burrow's Lament" segment to add some last minute suspense to the Disneyland version?

Maybe Facilier can appear there and threaten to kill us. Then Mama Odie, appearing on the lift hill, can come and save the day with her magic, yelling "Go back to hell Shadowman!" before zapping him to death. ;)

PiratesMansion

Maybe Disneyland can utilize the "Burrow's Lament" segment to add some last minute suspense to the Disneyland version?

Maybe Facilier can appear there and threaten to kill us. Then Mama Odie, appearing on the lift hill, can come and save the day with her magic, yelling "Go back to hell Shadowman!" before zapping him to death. ;)
Now now, this is modern Disneyland.

They'd say "Go back to MY IMAGINATION!!! Shadowman!" instead.

Parteecia

Aging Tiana in-park and on the ride bugs me. Why does she have to turn frumpy and work while the other princesses get to stay all shiny in their ballgowns? You don't see Snow White in waders advocating for forest conservation, or Cinderella in a pantsuit testifying about workers' rights, or Belle with a toolbelt building Little Free Libraries.

Even non-princess Alice isn't walking around as a grownup reminiscing about her time in the rabbit hole. Keep the fantasy!

Let the restaurant stay but let her be in her ballgown best.

It should have been a book report ride.

mlayton144

Meanwhile, over here at Disneyland, the time between these two points is only about a minute and 20 seconds. Which means in that minute and twenty seconds (just under half the time of WDW's) we will need to encounter: the first Louis animatronic, first critter band, Tiana, firefly projection, second critter band with Tiana and Louis and Tiana and Louis again (with Louis stuck in the log near the frogs) before finally reaching the Mama Odie drop and former Laughin' Place, which also seems tighter/shorter, with the exception of Burrow's Lament (which WDW did not have).

Will the DL Version fix getting soaked and the single file log? End of debate

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom