Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

TP2000

From the "You Can't Make This Up" file, comes this funny news...

WDW is selling two new collectors items to celebrate the grand opening at WDW of Tiana's Bayou Misadventure. They are bejeweled figurine of Tiana in her Princess gown, and a bejeweled Princess shoe. The Tiana figurine costs $36,000, but the shoe is a relative steal at only $7,000!

Somehow, they did NOT think to sell a bejeweled figurine of Tiana in a shapeless pant suit, nor a bejeweled figurine of her brown jodhpurs.

It seems the merchandisers know the audience better than the Imagineers now, and that's a huge problem. :banghead:

Do You Have Any Bedazzled Jodhpurs For Sale.jpg

Last edited:

Jedi14

From the "You Can't Make This Up" file, comes this funny news...

WDW is selling two new collectors items to celebrate the grand opening at WDW of Tiana's Bayou Misadventure. They are bejeweled figurine of Tiana in her Princess gown, and her bejeweled Princess shoe. The Tiana figurine costs $36,000, but the shoe is a relative steal at only $7,000!

Somehow, they did NOT think to sell a bejeweled figurine of Tiana in a shapeless pant suit, nor a bejewelled figurine of her brown jodhpurs.

It seems the merchandisers know the audience better than the Imagineers now, and that's a huge problem. :banghead:

View attachment 795487
The shoe is Cinderella’s not Tiana’s. Also they’re selling merch of Tiana in multiple outfits not just one specific one.

Rich T

The album, “Music From Tiana’s Bayou Adventure” is available on digital music stores.

It’s a fun listen, but predictably (and unfortunately for theme park music fans), it’s aimed at the GP and consists of “Special Spice,” non-soundtrack covers of “When We’re Human,” Down in New Orleans” and “Gonna Take You There” (Incredibly, no “Dig a Little Deeper”) and various covers of classic period tunes. I haven’t been on the attraction, so I don’t know if any of these selections are played in the queue.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
The album, “Music From Tiana’s Bayou Adventure” is available on digital music stores.

It’s a fun listen, but predictably (and unfortunately for theme park music fans), it’s aimed at the GP and consists of “Special Spice,” non-soundtrack covers of “When We’re Human,” Down in New Orleans” and “Gonna Take You There” (Incredibly, no “Dig a Little Deeper”) and various covers of classic period tunes. I haven’t been on the attraction, so I don’t know if any of these selections are played in the queue.
I like the queue music. The versions of Take You There, Down in New Orleans and When We're Human are my favorites. Shame they didn't put this much effort into the ride music.

Rich T

Californian-In-Florida reviews TBA:

Today I rode Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at MK and… It was an interesting experience.

I tried to go in with an open mind, hoping to view it as an average casual guest might, with no knowledge of the flume’s past and determined to give the ride a fair assessment based on its own merits—and trying to forget my negative reaction to the “story” as viewed via YouTube ride-throughs.

I didn’t ride until late afternoon, which gave me plenty of time to build anticipation and get caught up in the hype and the general feeling of excitement in the ride’s immediate area… And I DID get caught up in the hype.
IMG_1583.jpeg

First off, in person, this ride is beautiful to look at. I wasn’t bothered by the lamprey-mouth cave at the top or the abundance of plastic flowers… or even the stupid painted fence/mural near the mill lift. Viewed as a whole, seen from the front and Adventureland-facing side, TBA’s exterior looks amazing, and seeing/hearing log after log of happy screaming riders plunging down the drop turns it into as fine a theme park environment as any fan could hope for. It looked great as Splash Mtn. and it looks great now.
IMG_1585.jpeg

Second, the Critter Co-Op shop has opened, and it’s wonderful. Fun details, great staff and some interesting ride merchandise. Everyone seemed to like the new critter characters that I personally despise, and I began doubting my initial reactions. Maybe they’re okay in context? Also, I fell in love with the $200+ resin sculpture of the ride’s characters posing around the water tower. I decided if I really loved the ride—and if I warmed up to the new animals—I’d buy the sculpture.

I didn’t buy the sculpture.

* What I liked about TBA:

The music.

The flume layout. Yep, still fun!

The indoor sections of the queue. Charming. Lots of fun faux newspaper clippings and “photographs” that—even if you just glance at the headlines as you pass—quickly and efficiently create a feeling of history and community… and whimsy, as the images of Louis becoming a part of the extended family are wonderful and hilarious.

Every outdoor section of the ride.

Almost all of Louis’s on-ride appearances.

The finale. On its own, it’s an amazing set piece; surely one of the best scenes Disney has ever created on a ride. It certainly would be even better if it served as your reward for completing an exciting adventure…

* What I Disliked:

The “story.” Still. After getting all hyped up, I was ready to give this ride’s narrative a chance… but as soon as the first Tiana AA cheerfully told us we were looking for animal musicians… for her party… (does she not want to pay human musicians?)… my heart sank a bit. And then it just kept getting worse once we entered the show building.

It’s no better in person. This ride’s story is (IMO) bland, repetitive, one-note, unexciting, annoying, and mind-numbingly uncreative.

A summary:

“Let’s all find animal musicians!”
“Here’s some!”
“Here’s Some More!”
“Where’d you go? There you are! You found tiny musicians! Ha-ha!”
“Here’s a big drop for no reason!”
“Yay! You’re special!”

Any given five-minute episode of Peppa Pig has more wit, character conflict and better dialogue than this.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??? They started off with a great IP and steered it away from nearly everything fun and entertaining about the world of The Princess and the Frog!

And I still dislike the new cast of sappy, generic-looking “critters.” They just smile sappily and rock back and forth, almost as if they want you to forget that A MUCH BETTER band of AA animals is about to open their new show right next door.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Californian-In-Florida reviews TBA:

Today I rode Tiana’s Bayou Adventure at MK and… It was an interesting experience.

I tried to go in with an open mind, hoping to view it as an average casual guest might, with no knowledge of the flume’s past and determined to give the ride a fair assessment based on its own merits—and trying to forget my negative reaction to the “story” as viewed via YouTube ride-throughs.

I didn’t ride until late afternoon, which gave me plenty of time to build anticipation and get caught up in the hype and the general feeling of excitement in the ride’s immediate area… And I DID get caught up in the hype.
View attachment 796040
First off, in person, this ride is beautiful to look at. I wasn’t bothered by the lamprey-mouth cave at the top or the abundance of plastic flowers… or even the stupid painted fence/mural near the mill lift. Viewed as a whole, seen from the front and Adventureland-facing side, TBA’s exterior looks amazing, and seeing/hearing log after log of happy screaming riders plunging down the drop turns it into as fine a theme park environment as any fan could hope for. It looked great as Splash Mtn. and it looks great now.
View attachment 796041
Second, the Critter Co-Op shop has opened, and it’s wonderful. Fun details, great staff and some interesting ride merchandise. Everyone seemed to like the new critter characters that I personally despise, and I began doubting my initial reactions. Maybe they’re okay in context? Also, I fell in love with the $200+ resin sculpture of the ride’s characters posing around water tower. I decided if I really loved the ride—and if I warmed up to the new animals—I’d buy the sculpture.

I didn’t buy the sculpture.

* What I liked about TBA:

The music.

The flume layout. Yep, still fun!

The indoor sections of the queue. Charming. Lots of fun faux newspaper clippings and “photographs” that—even if you just glance at the headlines as you pass—quickly and efficiently create a feeling of history and community… and whimsy, as the images of Louis becoming a part of the extended family are wonderful and hilarious.

Every outdoor section of the ride.

Almost all of Louis’s on-ride appearances.

The finale. On its own, it’s an amazing set piece; surely one of the best scenes Disney has ever created on a ride. It certainly would be even better if it served as your reward for completing an exciting adventure…

* What I Disliked:

The “story.” Still. After getting all hyped up. I was ready to give this ride’s narrative a chance… but as soon as the first Tiana AA cheerfully told us we were looking for animal musicians… for her party… (does she not want to pay human musicians?)… my heart sank a bit. And then it just kept getting worse once we entered the show building.

It’s no better in person. This ride’s story is (IMO) bland, repetitive, one-note, unexciting, annoying, and mind-numbingly uncreative.

A summary:

“Let’s all find animal musicians!”
“Here’s some!”
“Here’s Some More!”
“Where’d you go? There you are! You found tiny musicians! Ha-ha!”
“Here’s a big drop for no reason!”
“Yay! You’re special!”

Any given five-minute episode of Peppa Pig has more wit, character conflict and better dialogue than this.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??? They started off with a great IP and steered it away from nearly everything fun and entertaining about the world of The Princess and the Frog!

And I still dislike the new cast of sappy, generic-looking “critters.” They just smile sappily and rock back and forth, almost as if they want you to forget that A MUCH BETTER band of AA animals is about to open their new show right next door.

I’m almost positive I’ll walk away with nearly the exact takeaways. The story/ dialogue is so bad that it just can’t be tuned out even by open minded people like yourself who go in letting the hype take over, being in the moment and wishing/ hoping for the best. All of the adjectives you used are spot on and it’s just so much worse than most of us could have ever imagined. Seriously, how did this happen? I mean I knew it was going to be one note a long time ago but never would have imagined it being this “bland” and “mind numbingly uncreative.” Also didn’t foresee them getting rid of 60 + solid AAs for 10 excellent ones (although staged poorly for the most part) and a bunch of poorly designed figures with hardly any articulation.

The flume layout and music were obviously always going to be this rides “saving grace.” Although, the music still disappoints as they just play the instrumentals and songs from the movie for the most part. Not the customization or great sound design the former resident flume ride had.

Rich T

Let's not forget that most of these AA's have been having frequent issues since the ride started previews. Doesn't bode well for their longevity.
One thing I forgot to mention is that for this ride-through, everything seemed to be working perfectly, so I experienced TBA at its best… and the lame story just brought everything down. I can’t imagine what this ride would be like with busted animatronics… although that might add some comedy, which at least would be *something*.

Rich T

That’s their job. Does that surprise you?
For me, the surprising/dismaying part is that here Disney gives me the impression that they put merchandising first, story last.

I keep trying to be charitable, and imagine their thinking went along the lines of, “Ok, people loved Splash Mountain’s abundance of musical animals. That’s an element we can bring back.” But there’s no substance behind it. These are nobody characters, on and off ride. A few words on a shop poster does not instantly make them anything more than what they are: Soulless merch.

Now, if they were part of an original attraction with a great premise (and better character design), well great! The parks SHOULD introduce new characters.

But this was in PLACE of better utilizing the PatF cast of characters that people already know and love. It’s almost as if Disney didn’t have enough faith in the IP and, rather than embracing the fun, thrilling and scary elements of that world (which is a PERFECT fit for a potentially great, great ride) they dumbed everything down and introduced this cast of wanna-be Care Bears and Emmett Otter castoffs who one can imagine arriving in their agent’s van and saying, “Yeah, we know you wanted Facilier’s ghost or something, but instead you got us. Introduce ourselves??? Didn’t ya read the press releases? We got BACKSTORY, man!”

Disstevefan1

For me, the surprising/dismaying part is that here Disney gives me the impression that they put merchandising first, story last.
In the case of Tiana's the ride has no real story, so all that is left is merch.

Everyone loves critters!

I WANT a Larry the armadillo popcorn bucket!

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
Made this when WDW's opened. You can have a fun/exciting plot on TBA using Splash's layout/drops, but they chose not too.

PiratesMansion

Let's not forget that most of these AA's have been having frequent issues since the ride started previews. Doesn't bode well for their longevity.
I mean, sure, but let's not pretend that Splash was well-known for always having all of its AAs working flawlessly, especially in the last 15 years or so of its life.

It was practically a competition between Splash and Indy to see which ride could have the most broken effects/AAs/etc at any given time for well over a decade.

Rich T

In the case of Tiana's the ride has no real story, so all that is left is merch.

Everyone loves critters!

I WANT a Larry the armadillo popcorn bucket!
I’m not crazy about Larry—but I think he does have the strongest character design of all the newcomers. Maybe it’s just because he’s the only one without a stupid, vapid grin on his face.

Rich T

Made this when WDW's opened. You can have a fun/exciting plot on TBA using Splash's layout/drops, but they chose not too.
I like this very much!

Rich T

I mean, sure, but let's not pretend that Splash was well-known for always having all of its AAs working flawlessly, especially in the last 15 years or so of its life.

It was practically a competition between Splash and Indy to see which ride could have the most broken effects/AAs/etc at any given time for well over a decade.
I’d just like to add here that, at MK, over the last 2 1/2 years, every one of many rides I’ve taken on Little Mermaid (I dislike the ride, but it’s an air-conditioned rest with no wait) has featured Ariel singing “Part of Your World” with her mouth frozen open, unmoving.

It’s creepy as heck, but it does make the angry pop-up Sebastians in the scene much funnier.

PiratesMansion

I’d just like to add here that, at MK, over the last 2 1/2 years, every one of many rides I’ve taken on Little Mermaid (I dislike the ride, but it’s an air-conditioned rest with no wait) has featured Ariel singing “Part of Your World” with her mouth frozen open, unmoving.

It’s creepy as heck, but it does make the angry pop-up Sebastians in the scene much funnier.
Good ol' WDW maintenance, gotta keep up that standard of mediocrity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom