Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

SuddenStorm

The invited media will gush over the attraction. That's why they get invited. Disney has silenced the critics with a large audience by lavishing them with media invites and cruises.

Which, as you know, is sorta what happened to Micechat. The tone changed significantly over there once the press invites started happening.

Tha Realest

I always assumed Facilier isn’t in the ride for the same reason Splash had to be replaced- political things.

One side wanted Splash gone - the other would say Disney is pushing an alt-religion on their children if Facilier was featured (even in a bad light). These are the children (now parents themselves) whose own parents thought if they read Harry Potter and it would lead to a whole generation practicing witchcraft. It’s a little much for me - but I can see the headlines of certain news places in my mind ‘Disney pushes vodoo on children’ 🫠 - anything for a click these days!
Arguably the most major character of this attraction (possibly coequal to Tiana) is an old voodoo priestess, a character also fraught with stereotypes. So I don’t see how she’s any more acceptable than Facilier.

At least Facilier’s voodoo is viewed as negative- Odie’s is cloaked as “good”

erstwo

Arguably the most major character of this attraction (possibly coequal to Tiana) is an old voodoo priestess, a character also fraught with stereotypes. So I don’t see how she’s any more acceptable than Facilier.

At least Facilier’s voodoo is viewed as negative- Odie’s is cloaked as “good”
Ah- Good point!
I think the goodness of Mama Odie blinded me to the fact that she’s voodoo too!

MagicHappens1971

I think Facilier isn't there because it's set in a post-film timeline, not because they care about being that respectful.

I just can't believe that they did Tiana that dirty like that...twice. :/
While I am generally happy with the attraction, this argument becomes invalid when we consider that Disney had full narrative control over this attraction. It could’ve 1) been told book report style, or 2) the story could’ve been told in a way that Dr. Facilier is still around. Disney chose to set the attraction after the movie takes place.

Casper Gutman

While I am generally happy with the attraction, this argument becomes invalid when we consider that Disney had full narrative control over this attraction. It could’ve 1) been told book report style, or 2) the story could’ve been told in a way that Dr. Facilier is still around. Disney chose to set the attraction after the movie takes place.
It's corporate synergy nonsense, not some insidious political plot. This ride is intended to expand and advertise the extended PatF "universe," most notably the planned animated series, and Facilier (and Ray) aren't part of that. The attraction is a soulless ad.

mickEblu

Right. They certainly could not have thought that the route they went was better. It also makes sense why Mama Sofìe is suddenly this really important main character everyone cares about. Or maybe- she’s just the “non problematic” character who does Magic.

MagicHappens1971

It's corporate synergy nonsense, not some insidious political plot. This ride is intended to expand and advertise the extended PatF "universe," and Facilier (and Ray) aren't part of that. The attraction is a soulless ad.
I agree that it’s not an insidious political plot. They based the attraction (presumably) on tying into the new Tiana D+ show. I think the story of the attraction is a little confusing and lacking that “special spice” if you will. Overall I think visually it’s pretty attractive.

mickEblu

It's corporate synergy nonsense, not some insidious political plot. This ride is intended to expand and advertise the extended PatF "universe," most notably the planned animated series, and Facilier (and Ray) aren't part of that. The attraction is a soulless ad.

How did they expand the universe exactly? With rocking generic critters? I’ve agreed with most of your takes but I think you’re off here.

MagicHappens1971

Right. They certainly could not have thought that the route they went was better. It also makes sense why Mama Sofìe is suddenly this really important main character everyone cares about. Or maybe- she’s just the “non problematic” character who does Magic.
I don’t believe Disney thinks Dr. Facilier is “problematic” if this was true he wouldn’t appear at MNSSHP & Oogie Boogie Bash. It was a narrative choice in the storytelling of this attraction.

mickEblu

It doesn't expand it well, but that's what this and almost every other modern Disney attraction is trying to do. Why is Ray, a much more memorable character then Louis, absent? How about Naveen?

Well Ray is singing from the dead somehow. Facilier, a fan favorite character who could have single handedly made the ride score much better is absent cannot compare to Naveen in a theme park dark ride. Facilier was made for this ride. Besides it’s Frog Naveen that’s really the memorable version from the movie. Who cares about human Naveen?

I disagree that Ray is more memorable than Louis.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

If Disney wipes Dr. Facilier like they did to SotS and its related content, I’ll believe they think he’s problematic. I agree the attraction has pacing & story issues, mostly due to the fact that there is no suspense. These are the choices they made.
They literally show Princess and the Frog on Freeform every other week.

mickEblu

They literally show Princess and the Frog on Freeform every other week.

That's true but they can pull it off Freeform or D+ at the drop of a dime. To build a ride around the character is probably deemed to be an unnecessary risk. Remember Disney doesn't necessarily feel that he's problematic. They re worried that that one day people ( or like 3 people) might feel that he is. Clearly that is not a popular sentiment based on the YouTube comments.

In the Parks
No
bated. As in 'abated', i.e., stopped or held. Basically saying "I'm holding my breath."

:D
Yikes, we've devolved into correcting grammar. I think it's pretty clear your ice caps are melting on this one, Mister.

This has been a fascinating day. Not good for WDI, but very interesting to participate in the discussion here.

For what it's worth, my source told me back in December that they were impressed with the virtual ride through they watched, so I had a fleeting hope that there would be something redeeming about this ride. But it's just whiff after whiff after whiff, with some nice animatronics thrown in. And some rocking animals. And a dead firefly singing his song. What an adventure!

Also, everyone, the reason these POVs don't do the ride justice is because we can't smell the beignets!

Gusey

Disney does have a bad track record for POVs too. I remember the live streams for Harmonious basically missing the majority of the fireworks. The TBA POV was attached to the log, so didn't show all of the scenes that you would normally see by turning your head slightly, like the giant frogs.

Moth

Considering how bad the reviews are and how easy the changes would be to implement, the Facilier Halloween overlay prediction I made a couple years ago makes sense because it allows them to save face and pretend it was the plan the whole time.
With how Disney moves these days? Any changes to this ride will happen post 2030.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom