Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

SuddenStorm

I'm just so glad they made this 30 minute video describing all of the authenticity going into this ride's creation. It really sets it apart.

To contrast, here's Bruce Gordon- Show Producer for the first pass at Splash (not sure of his involvement in WDW) talking about Splash Mountain. Ignore the random intro by the youtuber that posted the video.

I mean he's funny, charming, and doesn't take everything so dang serious. And you can tell he genuinely loves Disneyland.

Comped

I hope he gets around to writing a book detailing his career, with some thoughts on the state of Modern WDI
I wonder if he'd be willing to go through somewhere like Theme Park Press, where he wouldn't have to hold his tongue, or if he'll do like Dick Nunis and publish it through Disney with all the interesting parts removed.

MK-fan

I can't wait to hear his unfiltered opinion on some random podcast 6 years from now.
Tony Baxter was a creative advisor on this attraction and I doubt he had any real input. Imagineering probably showed him all their ideas and designs and he felt he couldn’t say anything negative so he just would smile and say “oh yea that’s good”.

tanc

The online reactions to the POV footage of this ride from Japanese Disney Fans was unsurprisingly negative and weren't impressed. They been dunking hard on this attraction all day.

This scene from Spongebob Squarepants sums up the reception Japanese Disney fans are feeling towards Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

You mentioned this on the other thread but I've seen mixed reception on Japanese Twitter 🤷‍♂️. Both positives and negative posts, just like here. There's a ton of posts there though, and my second language is Japanese so it's not a language barrier or anything

Last edited:

mightynine

Tony Baxter was a creative advisor on this attraction and I doubt he had any real input. Imagineering probably showed him all their ideas and designs and he felt he couldn’t say anything negative so he just would smile and say “oh yea that’s good”.
“Creative advisor” most likely meant “here’s a couple grand to allow us to drop your name in the PR if we want” and “sure, make some creative notes, no promises though”.

mickEblu

Man, it would be wild if I was right about this. From October 2022 and September 2023:

AECD13E9-C4E1-453D-A0A6-F27BBD127DDA.jpeg

3378BA27-F855-4FDF-A0CA-17F2EC5F1A8E.jpeg

erasure fan1

It's hard to tell from the ride through videos I've seen. But my first impression is that it's not bad, but splash mountain it isn't It doesn't seem to have the charm but I'm holding out hope that it feels much better in person. The AAs are fantastic, Louis especially, and the lesser AA scenes that are there are all on par with the original ride. The screen integration just looks off and really sticks out. Again, it might look better in person. With princess and the frog being my favorite Disney animated film since lion king, I have very high expectations for this. So far it's not looking like it will come anywhere close to splash. Again, not bad, but when you are replacing one of the most beloved attractions in history, good should not be the target.

Dear Prudence

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, so I'm putting it here, but those animals in the various band/ensembles look shockingly cheap. Off-model, Disney parodies like something you'd find in one of the bootleg European parks. I thought they seemed sort of lazily done in the concept art (and I am never one to comment on people's art like that), but thought, "oh, that's just the concept art." Oh no, I was wrong. I gave the benefit of the doubt, and it turns out my gut was correct. It reminds me of the Cave Train at Santa Cruz.

Dear Prudence

He was removed from the project is my understanding.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wild how Disney wrote the Silmarillion on Tiana's Foods, plastered it all over the exterior, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the ride, or is acknowledged in any capacity. Not even referenced in passing or used as a backdrop for any scene.

And yet it was the primary focus of the ride's early marketing?
It could be mostly in the queue.

In a queue you can learn things. Like how, thanks to science, you can, umm... fly!

Disney Rocks

I imagine they did kick the tires on swapping out the Laughing Place scene for a trip to the dark part of the bayou with Friends on the Other Side playing as you go up the lift hill (It’s too obvious a choice for them to have not considered it), but I can only assume it was nixed when somebody made the choice that nothing in this **thrill** ride could possibly scare a 5-year-old

The old How Do You Do scenes are the biggest mess though. The “looking for critters” storyline feels like a contrived way to reuse the old Splash Mountain animatronics, but then they just…don’t reuse any? Maybe they will in Disneyland, but it’s bizarre for MK. As is, those indoor scenes are incredibly underpopulated and badly paced.

Dear Prudence

Also, I am.... a little shocked that with how long this has been in development (since 2018-2019), and that they have that whole CD of bonus songs that came out when the movie did, that they just....played so much of the movie soundtrack. No new instrumentals like Splash had (though not to make too many comparisons), no characters starting off playing the music diegetically.

mf1972

sorry if this was asked already, but has anyone noticed any nods to SM on this ride? imagineers usually put some kind of nod on a new attraction to honor what it replaced. i just don’t have the urge to go back & watch the video at this time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom