Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Disney Glimpses

What seems to be disconnecting me most from the attraction is the music. A lot of people like the finale song but it doesn't really hit hard enough. I think the choir version of Dig a Little Deeper would've been much better.

Now that full POVs are available, I am finding myself constantly waiting for something that never happens. Will see if that translates to an actual ride.

999th Happy Haunt

Sure, but what's the point of pointing this out? A drop like this attraction can easily be wrapped around a sense of excitement or fear and have the same effect of thrills and adventure.
Build up is everything. Obviously I have not ridden, but I would anticipate the drop does not feel as “rewarding” mentally when there is not an element of foreboding before, and nothing to separate it from the other drops on the ride.

999th Happy Haunt

What seems to be disconnecting me most from the attraction is the music. A lot of people like the finale song but it doesn't really hit hard enough. I think the choir version of Dig a Little Deeper would've been much better.

Now that full POVs are available, I am finding myself constantly waiting for something that never happens. Will see if that translates to an actual ride.
Finale song doesn’t hit partially because it should be playing in instrumental at the bottom of the big drop and on the way to the finale like Zip did. Instead it’s Almost There (again) and then the new song is forced to start in relatively short finale.

JD80

Build up is everything. Obviously I have not ridden, but I would anticipate the drop does not feel as “rewarding” mentally when there is not an element of foreboding before, and nothing to separate it from the other drops on the ride.

I've not studied the POV video to look for more reasons to like/dislike it. I've seen it once.

The one overall feeling I get from the ride is that you are hurrying through to find a band and then hurrying back to the party. Mama Odie is there to help and she is "rushing you up and out" to get back. I got the feeling of HURRY and RUSH where you have no choice to but to go along and then out you go down in to the drop.

So when you finally drop and ease in to the party celebration it's designed to give you a sense of relief and relaxation because it's time to have fun.

999th Happy Haunt

I've not studied the POV video to look for more reasons to like/dislike it. I've seen it once.

The one overall feeling I get from the ride is that you are hurrying through to find a band and then hurrying back to the party. Mama Odie is there to help and she is "rushing you up and out" to get back. I got the feeling of HURRY and RUSH where you have no choice to but to go along and then out you go down in to the drop.

So when you finally drop and ease in to the party celebration it's designed to give you a sense of relief and relaxation because it's time to have fun.
I think we’re stretching here, I didn’t hear anything in the POV that implied we’re in any sort of rush.

Even so, I think the threat of painful drop into briar patch is much more exciting than being late to a party that we end up floating by for less than a minute anyways.

kandyman

Paragraphs my dude.

Again this is all my opinion and I stress that because a lot of people are speaking in absolutes here and leave no room for discussion at all.
When explaining your viewpoint, it is not necessary to preface it with "in my opinion". Everyone here is voicing their personal thoughts on a public forum for the purpose of discussion. I apologize for my wall of text, but I hope that wasn't your main takeaway from what I wrote.

To your first point about the scenes, I understand your sentiment and how you feel about how Splash was set up in your mind's eye, but I don't agree personally. There's a lot of emotion there but I never got a sense of "SM are filled with small details that help build the world. You see how the critters live, what they do, how they interact with each other. You get a detailed look at the world Brer Rabbit has grown tired of and wants to escape from.
You're downplaying the descriptions of the content by claiming it's what is going on in my mind's eye. Splash Mountain had many more props and decorations to flesh out the world and story than Tiana's, just count them. Splash's music was also directly tied to the story being told and Tiana's is not. Just because someone doesn't bother to pay attention to those elements, it doesn't mean the elements aren't there. The people that take the time to appreciate them will be rewarded.

I'm happy that your imagination filled all that in for you. I just personally disagree there is a drastic difference between both attractions. The rest of your post reads the same to me to be honest. I personally can't pretend that the story of Brer Rabbit is some classic piece of literature worth breaking down to such a fine point of detail.
You do know that the story of SotS/SM is actually based on a piece of classic literature, right? I almost feel like I'm getting trolled on this one.

Both attractions had/have a simple story.
A story does not have to be complex to be compelling, it has to be told in an interesting way. In my comparisons I barely touched on the actual contents of the stories in each ride, but focused on how the elements of the ride help tell those stories. Instead of considering the ideas that I brought to the table and discussing these topics, your reply boiled down every point to 'that's just, like, your opinion, man'. I'd say that runs a closer to "not leaving room for discussion" than anything I said in my previous post.

JD80

I think we’re stretching here, I didn’t hear anything in the POV that implied we’re in any sort of rush.

Even so, I think the threat of painful drop into briar patch is much more exciting than being late to a party that we end up floating by for less than a minute anyways.

I just said it's the impression I got from watching it. It felt like we were in a hurry. I have no idea if that'll be the case when I eventually ride the attraction. Maybe I'll watch it again. 🤷

I personally never felt we were under threat dropping into a briar patch. I always thought it was just decoration. But we're all able to have different opinions.

Midwest Elitist

Just basing this off of the POV Disney released and my own experiences with Splash I completely disagree. I think the tension on the ride was from the anticipation of the drop the vultures added flavor for sure, but it wasn't some masterwork of tension like the Haunted Mansion stretch room or anything. It was pretty plain going up before, this one at least has to fun elements that distract you before you go over the edge.
I get that this is basically cope, but I'll play along.
The lift of the drop was a masterpiece, because the entire story consisted of the hero's journey: basically a tale as old as humanity itself. There's a primal connection to it: it gives the sense of legitimate danger. We see Br'er Rabbit about to die before we go over the drop. So you're just wrong. 😂

JD80

I get that this is basically cope, but I'll play along.
The lift of the drop was a masterpiece, because the entire story consisted of the hero's journey: basically a tale as old as humanity itself. There's a primal connection to it: it gives the sense of legitimate danger. We see Br'er Rabbit about to die before we go over the drop. So you're just wrong. 😂

Sure bud.

Vegas Disney Fan

New POV shared on Youtube by someone at a preview. Much better video than Disney produced, shot during the day, and all of the speaking lines appear to be the alternate set. Dare I say it works better? I wasn't a hater but this at least looks a little better than the first video we've all seen.

Better than Disneys video but still leaves me thinking there’s a lot less to look at than Splash had, they seemed to go with a few big scenes full of animatronics rather than endless small things to look at, there’s a lot of dead space in the ride where you’re just floating through trees now.

I think the “putting a band together” concept could have worked but they instantly give us a full band in the first scene, I wish they’d picked up individuals along the way, I wish we “found” a sax playing raccoon in the first scene, then “found” a trumpet playing beaver in the next scene, etc. Would have made a lot more sense, provided opportunities to use a lot more jazz, and also made for a more fun journey.

I also have NO IDEA why we shrink, it just happens with no purpose, had we been looking for something they could have given us a reason for it, like maybe we were searching for a flute playing frog so we had to be small to go into a log to find him… the whole story makes no sense.

The “payoff“ at the end would be seeing all the individuals band mates together at the end playing as a band for the first time.

Last edited:

Ice Gator

So here’s what I’m wondering- how different will Disneyland’s version be? I imagine there will be some minor differences, whether it comes from the reception to this version or just the layout of DL’s entirely. DL’s mound already looks very awkward compared to MK’s, since their Splash had a much more cartoony/disproportional look to it. I wonder what their AA situation will look like, or if we’ll get any of the promised audio from Naveen on their version of the ride.

Disney Analyst

New POV shared on Youtube by someone at a preview. Much better video than Disney produced, shot during the day, and all of the speaking lines appear to be the alternate set. Dare I say it works better? I wasn't a hater but this at least looks a little better than the first video we've all seen.

Definitely a better video, and impression from it.

I definitely think it’s gonna be a well-loved attraction, regardless of the chatter.

Sectorkeeper71

Having the riverboat remain in the finally would have kept a nice nod to splash and still fit their theme but I guess that’s too much to ask
My thoughts are maybe the new AA’s would look weird on the riverboat since I think they’re bigger than the critters? I’m not sure if that’s true or how much bigger they are but that’s my unsubstantiated theory

Sectorkeeper71

Another thing that hindered this attraction was its length.

Modern Disney hates long rides for the most part so having to feel out all these areas of with stuff was going to be a challenge within itself.
In general, I think asking a team to infuse their own story into an existing ride path isn’t a super easy task. You have to shoehorn everything into whatever awkward elements exist, like the prolonged backwards section in maelstrom for frozen

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What @MisterPenguin says is accurate. However, a short time thereafter, someone created this thread posing as a WDW executive with "deep inside information." If you jump ahead to the last 10 pages or so, people slowly start to figure out that this "insider" is likely Brayden trying to put a bunch of misinformation out there. They even traced the profile photo back to Brayden.
One of the good ones.

doctornick

Better than Disneys video but still leaves me thinking there’s a lot less to look at than Splash had, they seemed to go with a few big scenes full of animatronics rather than endless small things to look at, there’s a lot of dead space in the ride where you’re just floating through trees now.

I think the “putting a band together” concept could have worked but they instantly give us a full band in the first scene, I wish they’d picked up individuals along the way, I wish we “found” a sax playing raccoon in the first scene, then “found” a trumpet playing beaver in the next scene, etc. Would have made a lot more sense, provided opportunities to use a lot more jazz, and also made for a more fun journey.

I also have NO IDEA why we shrink, it just happens with no purpose, had we been looking for something they could have given us a reason for it, like maybe we were searching for a flute playing frog so we had to be small to go into a log to find him… the whole story makes no sense.

The “payoff“ at the end would be seeing all the individuals band mates together at the end playing as a band for the first time.
I’m no imagineer or even all that creative but my thought would be something like seeing a rabbit blowing into a reed and it extends and shrinks… and later that rabbit plays a trombone after we “collect” him. And having a fox grabbing at a smaller animal but instead plucking at some vines… then later he’s a banjo player. Stuff like that where our mission to create a band has some progression.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom