Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

lentesta

Premium Member
Rode this morning, apparently before the first long break-down of the day.

A couple of things:
  • The ride's not operating anywhere close to its capacity. Not sure if this is just how they want to test, or whether this is where the ride needs to run so it doesn't shut down constantly. I'm assuming that'll get adjusted over time.

• The set decor is, to me, better than Splash. More landscaping. More characters. More colors. It's a prettier ride.

• It seems like it's going to look great at night.
The group I rode with had a spirirted discussion about the ride story afterward. I thought it was fine. Others thought it had some gaps or fell short.

pumpkin7

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a cheap overlay.

Strap on your VR headset if you have one

Man, that's dark. And the screens. So many screens! What's with the random one with a giant Tiana on it?
The animatronics look good. The main ones at least. The critter bands seem a bit lame. Just rocking back and forth.
I'm sorry but it's forever going to be compared to Splash, and it isn't anything compared to Splash.
Maybe in a few years it'll get the Tiki Room treatment and be reverted to its original form 😬😬😬

🐰🐻🦊 Long live the critters of Splash mountain!

Dear Prudence

Nightmare fuel realized. Charlotte's animatronic is broken in the clip from the site we don't say, and it's every bit as disturbing looking as possible. Only managing to wave slightly and jerk, with her eyes stuck half shut. This is, what, the third day this thing is running nonstop? Yikes.

I already thought that animatronic was *absolutely terrifying*, so I will be skipping that vid, thanks. Talk about a much needed spoiler.

Disstevefan1

Nightmare fuel realized. Charlotte's animatronic is broken in the clip from the site we don't say, and it's every bit as disturbing looking as possible. Only managing to wave slightly and jerk, with her eyes stuck half shut. This is, what, the third day this thing is running nonstop? Yikes.

I looked a Charlotte's eyes, and something did not look right in this video, but it may be a shadow?

What was worrisome to me was the LONG pauses of the log. near the end, the log paused so long they edited the video to cut out some of the pause.

At this point we must chalk it up to working the kinks out.

Most folks don't remember how much Test track 1.0 was down when it first opened.

WoundedDreamer

To expand on the story conversation, I think there's a really important missing "ingredient" 😎 that hasn't been pointed out. Tiana as a character in the film is likable and endearing. But we see the best of her when she's with Naveen. Naveen challenges her and helps uncover a different side of her personality. She learns that without him, she is incomplete. She could have the restaurant of her dreams, but without Naveen it's pointless. That's not because she is horribly flawed or weak. Not at all. But even the best and strongest people need someone (family or friends) to have real happiness.

Naveen learns the same thing. He has never seriously considered his future or made firm commitments. Tiana is his polar opposite. He needs her perspective to finally become a man worthy of respect. Fundamentally, the Princess and the Frog is about two imperfect individuals bringing their best to a relationship, and finding that the sum is greater than the parts. Hard work without love and friendship is misery. Love and friendship without hard work is empty and pointless.

So, any attraction with Tiana must necessarily have her counterbalance. The individual who completes her. The man who helps her enjoy life. Right?

I'm not saying that Tiana must necessarily have had Naveen at her side the entire attraction. But inasmuch as the film is liked, the relationship between Tiana and Naveen is central. Instead of the two working in tandem uncovering the best of each other, Naveen appears in the final act. That's it. Tiana becomes a glorified narrator. She's boring in TBA.

The same criticism could actually be applied to Doctor Facilier. Protagonists like Tiana do not exist in a vacuum. In the same way Tiana's relationship with Naveen was necessary for her to become the best version of herself, the same is true of the Doctor. When Tiana is forced to confront evil, it allows her to rise to a terrible challenge. It's in those moments, confronting evil, that we really see who Tiana is. She's willing to sacrifice her dream for the person she loves. That's a character that audiences will find interesting and admire.

In TBA, all we see is a person who says lots of platitudes and hangs out with alligators. It's weird and boring. By eliminating the people who add depth to her character, we get a bland "Disney Junior" character. It's actually striking many people are saying "Tiana deserved better." Why? Because they have a relationship with the character. They know what she's capable of. They know she can be hero and a loving wife. And to see her used in a role that does not demonstrate her strength is just depressing.

While I have my criticisms of "Fantasy Springs" in TDS, the team behind the Tangled attraction understood the importance of the relationship between the protagonists. Their romance is center stage.

The book report ride probably could have demonstrated this. I have more thoughts on this ride. It's fascinating.

mickEblu

I’m getting House of Wax vibes.

Midwest Elitist

Yep! I wonder how many people won’t even bother riding it after seeing all these negative reviews, that’s if they even fix the downtime issue soon lol.
I watched the 360 video and now I'm not changing my mind in any way: the downgrade is heartbreaking. There is SO much empty space. There's nothing to spoil: we're going to the party. Yay! Let's go to the party! Ad nauseum.

Last edited:

FettFan

Quick! Get her a fan and a strobe light!

#DiscoCharlotte

Figments Friend

Which, as you know, is sorta what happened to Micechat. The tone changed significantly over there once the press invites started happening.
Yep, big time.

I enjoyed ‘old school’ MiceAge a lot.
Back when they were critical of Disney and brought legitimate concerns to the core of their articles.
It was great reading.

A shame that has all changed…it is just another paid for puff piece that promotes the brand entity now.
Toothless and inept

-

mickEblu

I feel like this is the first video I've seen where I can really get an idea of the shrinking down effect.

But even in this video it's not totally obvious. As in why we are getting shrunk and the execution of the scene in general isn’t great. Louis and Tiana on that screen don't work at all. There had to be a better way to show them looking at us. As it stands, it looks just like a screen in the middle of the bayou. It needs to be framed better and also they probably should have just showed half of their faces or maybe a giant eyeball, blinking and looking at us through hole in a tree or something.

Also I think they would have been better off using all the hand drawn animated versions of the characters for all the scenes on screens. The fireflies don't come off as being computer animated (they probably are) and they look great. Really though Disney, just cut that scene short, play "Friends on the Other Side", get rid of the Mama Odie screen and the lift hill, and have projections of Facilier's shadow and all his "friends" all over the final lift hill tunnel. Mama Odie saves us. Done.

The final lift hill just feels really half baked. The ominous music kind of carried that scene before. But now you aren't feeling anything as you go up. They didn't really lean that heavy into making it a celebratory feeling. Or they could have done something humorous. Mama Odie pointing and laughing at us as we are about to splash down. I feel like it really isn't clear what the rider is supposed to be feeling between the Mama Odie screen and Mama Odie at the top.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom