Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Tha Realest

To expand on the story conversation, I think there's a really important missing "ingredient" 😎 that hasn't been pointed out. Tiana as a character in the film is likable and endearing. But we see the best of her when she's with Naveen. Naveen challenges her and helps uncover a different side of her personality. She learns that without him, she is incomplete. She could have the restaurant of her dreams, but without Naveen it's pointless. That's not because she is horribly flawed or weak. Not at all. But even the best and strongest people need someone (family or friends) to have real happiness.

Naveen learns the same thing. He has never seriously considered his future or made firm commitments. Tiana is his polar opposite. He needs her perspective to finally become a man worthy of respect. Fundamentally, the Princess and the Frog is about two imperfect individuals bringing their best to a relationship, and finding that the sum is greater than the parts. Hard work without love and friendship is misery. Love and friendship without hard work is empty and pointless.

So, any attraction with Tiana must necessarily have her counterbalance. The individual who completes her. The man who helps her enjoy life. Right?

I'm not saying that Tiana must necessarily have had Naveen at her side the entire attraction. But inasmuch as the film is liked, the relationship between Tiana and Naveen is central. Instead of the two working in tandem uncovering the best of each other, Naveen appears in the final act. That's it. Tiana becomes a glorified narrator. She's boring in TBA.

The same criticism could actually be applied to Doctor Facilier. Protagonists like Tiana do not exist in a vacuum. In the same way Tiana's relationship with Naveen was necessary for her to become the best version of herself, the same is true of the Doctor. When Tiana is forced to confront evil, it allows her to rise to a terrible challenge. It's in those moments, confronting evil, that we really see who Tiana is. She's willing to sacrifice her dream for the person she loves. That's a character that audiences will find interesting and admire.

In TBA, all we see is a person who says lots of platitudes and hangs out with alligators. It's weird and boring. By eliminating the people who add depth to her character, we get a bland "Disney Junior" character. It's actually striking many people are saying "Tiana deserved better." Why? Because they have a relationship with the character. They know what she's capable of. They know she can be hero and a loving wife. And to see her used in a role that does not demonstrate her strength is just depressing.

While I have my criticisms of "Fantasy Springs" in TDS, the team behind the Tangled attraction understood the importance of the relationship between the protagonists. Their romance is center stage.

The book report ride probably could have demonstrated this. I have more thoughts on this ride. It's fascinating.
The Imagineers haven’t said this, but one common refrain for the films and Disney Princesses in general is that they are not defined by their relationship or proximity to a prince. I think that reevaluation is why Naveen has lower billing in this attraction than Louis, Odie, “new friends” that are cynical cash grab attempts at selling plush*, and the dead Ray.

* which will fail. No one - even those most effuse in their praise of this attraction - seems excited to buy products or plushes with these guys.

ThemeParkTraveller

But even in this video it's not totally obvious. Louis and Tiana on that screen don't work at all. There had to be a better way to show them looking at us. As it stands, it looks just like a screen in the middle of the bayou. It needs to be framed better and also they probably showed have just showed half of their faces or maybe a giant eyeball, blinking and looking at us through hole in a tree or something.

This is my primary gripe with that scene. Tiana and Louis are both wildly out of scale in that screen relative to the size guests are supposed to be.

WorldExplorer

Does it seem odd that Prince Naveen has no speaking role or even him singing at the end finale...Could they at least given him to do the loading dock safety spiel at the start of the ride?

I could swear earlier there was specifically mention of him being involved and supplying the ride's humor (something it is definitely missing, barring a moment of copying Splash) at some point.

mickEblu

Does it seem odd that Prince Naveen has no speaking role or even him singing at the end finale...Could they at least given him to do the loading dock safety spiel at the start of the ride?

His humor, voice and presence are a huge part of the movie so it is kind of odd. However I'd say that's only really true about his frog form and not really his human form. And we know Tiana being a frog is an issue so Disney trying to work around the "problematic" issues essentially killed any hope of three characters being on the ride- Facilier, Ray and Frog Naveen (which for all intents and purposes is Naveen or at least the version of the character people find memorable).

SuddenStorm

But even in this video it's not totally obvious. As in why we are getting shrunk and the execution of the scene in general isn’t great. Louis and Tiana on that screen don't work at all. There had to be a better way to show them looking at us. As it stands, it looks just like a screen in the middle of the bayou. It needs to be framed better and also they probably should have just showed half of their faces or maybe a giant eyeball, blinking and looking at us through hole in a tree or something.

Also I think they would have been better off using all the hand drawn animated versions of the characters for all the scenes on screens. The fireflies don't come off as being computer animated (they probably are) and they look great. Really though Disney, just cut that scene short, play "Friends on the Other Side", get rid of the Mama Odie screen and the lift hill, and have projections of Facilier's shadow and all his "friends" all over the final lift hill tunnel. Mama Odie saves us. Done.

The final lift hill just feels really half baked. The ominous music kind of carried that scene before. But now you aren't feeling anything as you go up. They didn't really lean that heavy into making it a celebratory feeling. Or they could have done something humorous. Mama Odie pointing and laughing at us as we are about to splash down. I feel like it really isn't clear what the rider is supposed to be feeling between the Mama Odie screen and Mama Odie at the top.

What's sad is Disney used to know how to make a shrinking effect convincing. They just need to add one of these bad boys to the attraction-

1717489404332.jpeg

Cmdr_Crimson

Any thoughts on TBA still considered as a "Disney Mountain" anymore? It feels as the drop into the Bayou doesn't seem as thrilling since you don't have something poking at you as you drop down making this feel more Fantasyland-esque..IMO we lost a Mountain and it's back to the 2 original Space & Big Thunder..

mergatroid

Wow... Okay... I stopped catching up for a second because I got busy and I lost track of whether I was quoting messages in the spoiler thread or the regular thread. And now rather than 10 added pages... there are a total across the threads of 70. So... I'm not gonna get there. Screw it. I'm just going to give my impressions now and catch up later...

The Disney ride-through was absolute garbage. The cuts and neckbrace view for a non-omnimover dark ride were brutal. Today I got to see a 360 of an early access YouTuber going through the queue, ride, and exit to get an actual experience.

What that included was some audio entering the barn of Tiana setting up the story and suggesting that all who wish to join the search meet up with her. At least there is some explanation for what is going on, since as we saw in the ride-through within the mountain it just starts with "Let's get a-lookin'!"

It seems that now they've pared back the lyrical version of "Down in New Orleans" to the edge of the infamous gumbo wall. That's where the change from instrumental to lyrical happened in the 360, while it happens at the top of the first lift in others that are suggested at taking place earlier. I hope that this is an adjustment they've made. I can't ask Drew (at least not until tomorrow), but I wonder if this means it can no longer be heard from the pathway. That would be great.

The lily pads are free-floating like I expected. Probably why they took so long to be added.

I've only seen one version where logs got jammed at the mill. But it looks like Tiana has at least three different options for things to say, which is always a positive. As everyone's said, this is an improvement over the old mill.

The gardens are cute. Same with the gourd gator. It's disappointing to not see the bridge survive or any signage. The look-through between logs is a cool feature. I'm glad someone's still inhabiting the old cave, and the little line is fun. Louis also has multiple lines. I wonder how many everyone has. The crop movement is... really stupid-looking, tho. The traffic up here is also less fun and I really don't think it's a good idea to hear Mama Odie more than once, which seems impossible to avoid with how many are here... but I'm shocked given how much sound is blasting that there appears to be no sound bleeding from one place to the next. They could have included more critter touches up here to replace what was lost. Shoulda included the sounds of birds in the soundtrack that they did after the drop. It's definitely a downgrade, although not hugely.

One of the cringiest things about the ride preview, playing into the predictions of Dora-level dialogue was Louis saying that the Zydeco band "can play" followed by Tiana saying "They can play, no doubt!" To my great relief, both have multiple lines and it seems they're not programmed to just repeat each other like that.

I'm gonna get killed for this. I know it. But here's the deal... I'm a Mansion fan. I love Claude-Coates-style atmospheric storytelling and place-setting. I love the caverns of Pirates. I love the rainforests of Living with the Land. I love the waters off of San Angel Inn. I do think that the bayou is an improvement above the Pooh-like colorful forests of Splash. The old sets were a strange juxtaposition of bright blue skies and dark shadow that never achieved for me the charm they were meant to. The night setting works much better. But the thing I know is gonna do it is the fact that I'm not futzed about the loss of a bunch of singing critters everywhere. But the real thing that's going to get me crucified is the fact that with the screens and lighting effects, the "dead" parts of this area don't feel dead to me.

I know, I've heard a lot of Splash fans who found the sheer number of critters all around to be their favorite part. And that's gone. So I understand their complaints and know how ultimate a betrayal that is to many. I'm sure many are going to make comparison to attractions I love like the Mansion or Carousel of Progress or Jungle Cruise. But... to me personally it's not as big a deal.

But back to the experience... The deadest portion is the leadup to the last Tiana of this area, but the music changes are interesting here. I notice the frogs coming front and center in it, originally thinking the sonal experience making up some for it. But I realize now I don't think I've seen those frogs on logs we saw previewed. Are they supposed to be here and for some reason not lit up? That would be an interesting tease to them being musicians in a sec.
Tiana does not just sit there and stare off into the distance during this long straightaway as suggested by the official ride-through. She is still speaking to the last log. Fortunately, since she and Louis both have multiple lines it's not as weird as it could be. Mama Odie up in Br'er Rabbit's spot is fun. I was right! She is totally just screwing with you the whole time.

I was so focused on other things that I somehow completely missed Tiana's panicked cry as we disappear. It's quickly broken by everybody's favorite drumming frog, but it's a welcome moment of tension. I would prefer to put the big guy down below to let that linger a little longer and use this middle floor to create a threatening atmosphere.

I think the Laughing Place is a huge improvement. We had static turtles on sticks, frogs with less movement than the new ones, and the only thing that seemed to work with any level of regularity were the whack-a-gophers, and that includes the lighting. The jumping fountains are back. The surroundings are colorful and interesting. Tiana and Louis don't look nearly as terrible as they did in the initial sneak peek. This rendition of "Dig a Little Deeper" absolutely slaps. I suppose we are supposed to be able to hear them while shrunk? But we do hear Louis talk too. Strange. But Mama Odie is hanging out and screwing with us the whole time. I'm fine with it as long as the people who said Facilier could totally come back don't complain this is a plot hole. Nevertheless, while the critters have been compared to the fish in Little Mermaid, I don't think that's a good comp. They aren't held up by sticks. They don't look plastic. But the actual comparison being made is in the effect. There are a number of drummers, but except for perhaps one, they all look way more convincing than the drumming lobster.

The effect over the entrance to the lift... It works. The problem is the timing. Given the transition at the start and end of it, it NEEDS to be timed correctly. Every log should come in on the leaves and watch them open as they travel beneath. It seems like a simple thing, but I saw a number of videos where this timing is totally off. Either walking in on the tail end of her talking and watching the leaves close and then immediately open, getting stuck in a logjam at the bottom of the hill for multiple cycles, or even watching as the leaves close and then them not opening until out of view. The closest thing to getting this to work right I've seen is the official video with cuts before the start and after the end. It's terrible. There's gotta be some way to get this to work right. Given the way the leaves seem to reopen in different intervals, I'd have to imagine there's a sensor controlling it, right?

The lift hill effect doesn't seem to work well during the day as the sunlight breaks through the mist. But perhaps this is an effect that looks differently in person. I wish they'd included some bottles all the way down with varying sizes to sell the effect. Mama Odie looks good, though. And the drop is the drop. There appears to be so little mist in portions that it's almost like there isn't much point to the sprayers existing at all.

It's at this point in every ride-through that I realize that our new critter friend doesn't seem to show up nearly as much as I expected. Or does she? Is she disappearing into the darkness, hard to find on video? Is it her eyes in the stump beside Tiana before miniaturization? Or are there really only three of her? That seems very odd. Well, at least it looks like they toned down the waterfall. The animal singing effects are also really a good addition.

The finale is really hard to judge on video. I'm already on record as saying the song's lyrics are rough but the melody is catchy enough to cover over it. The set is nice and detailed. The dress complaints are a nothingburger. I was shocked when watching a clip back today that I was wrong. The princess ballgown wasn't a choice because of the costume party and her working behind a stand where practicality isn't an issue. I'd forgotten that her original, more sensible costume was ruined and she changed into something of Lottie's. As evidenced by her second wedding dress, even in the most formal of settings Tiana would never willingly dress like that. But... they found a way to put her in it for the merchandising. 🤷‍♂️

The frogs from the outside being at the end makes me think they're also an Easter Egg hidden through the ride. Are they elsewhere? Are those THEIR eyes in that log? No friggin' clue.

I like the look at the restaurant. It seems almost to be a response to all the confusion of the building in the finale or how people claimed Tiana's Foods meant she was ditching her original dream or the restaurant. But it's still there. Mama Odie is at the end as I expected when people thought her talking about the party was earlier and Juju with the beignets was a harbinger of them being the centerpiece of the attraction.

In the end... I like it. It's a big step down from the animatronic count of Splash. My hope is that they've centered these in more accessible locations so that they're easier to keep on the maintenance of. This is not the same as what happened to Imagination. The replacement there was slapdash and mostly empty black space. Tiana's Bayou Adventure on its own is not an abomination or a failure. I'd compare it to if the Haunted Mansion was replaced with Mystic Manor. Mystic Manor is not a bad ride, but for those who adore the original, it could never compare. I'm sorry for those who lost their favorite ride. I don't think it should have happened.

But judging the new experience on its own... I think it's a B+/A-
Thanks for posting.

WoundedDreamer

To expand on the story conversation, I think there's a really important missing "ingredient" 😎 that hasn't been pointed out. Tiana as a character in the film is likable and endearing. But we see the best of her when she's with Naveen. Naveen challenges her and helps uncover a different side of her personality. She learns that without him, she is incomplete. She could have the restaurant of her dreams, but without Naveen it's pointless. That's not because she is horribly flawed or weak. Not at all. But even the best and strongest people need someone (family or friends) to have real happiness.

Naveen learns the same thing. He has never seriously considered his future or made firm commitments. Tiana is his polar opposite. He needs her perspective to finally become a man worthy of respect. Fundamentally, the Princess and the Frog is about two imperfect individuals bringing their best to a relationship, and finding that the sum is greater than the parts. Hard work without love and friendship is misery. Love and friendship without hard work is empty and pointless.

So, any attraction with Tiana must necessarily have her counterbalance. The individual who completes her. The man who helps her enjoy life. Right?

I'm not saying that Tiana must necessarily have had Naveen at her side the entire attraction. But inasmuch as the film is liked, the relationship between Tiana and Naveen is central. Instead of the two working in tandem uncovering the best of each other, Naveen appears in the final act. That's it. Tiana becomes a glorified narrator. She's boring in TBA.

The same criticism could actually be applied to Doctor Facilier. Protagonists like Tiana do not exist in a vacuum. In the same way Tiana's relationship with Naveen was necessary for her to become the best version of herself, the same is true of the Doctor. When Tiana is forced to confront evil, it allows her to rise to a terrible challenge. It's in those moments, confronting evil, that we really see who Tiana is. She's willing to sacrifice her dream for the person she loves. That's a character that audiences will find interesting and admire.

In TBA, all we see is a person who says lots of platitudes and hangs out with alligators. It's weird and boring. By eliminating the people who add depth to her character, we get a bland "Disney Junior" character. It's actually striking many people are saying "Tiana deserved better." Why? Because they have a relationship with the character. They know what she's capable of. They know she can be hero and a loving wife. And to see her used in a role that does not demonstrate her strength is just depressing.

While I have my criticisms of "Fantasy Springs" in TDS, the team behind the Tangled attraction understood the importance of the relationship between the protagonists. Their romance is center stage.

The book report ride probably could have demonstrated this. I have more thoughts on this ride. It's fascinating.
I'm going to continue my examination of the story issues (first part linked above). The next issue I'm going to highlight may sound trivial, but is a symptom of a bigger problem. Let's take the premise of the attraction at face value. Bear with me while I do it.

Tiana is throwing a party. She needs a band for the party. So, the night of the event she journeys into the bayou searching for a band of animals. This is the impetus for the attraction. Like a burst of energy propelling an object forward, this is what drives the entire plot forward. Splash Mountain is a long attraction. ~12 minutes for the MK version. That's a lot of time for a pretty weak premise. But that's not the issue I want to highlight.

Who is Tiana? She is what many people would call a Type A personality. She began planning to open her restaurant when she was like 5 years old. She worked multiple jobs trying to earn enough money for the downpayment on her restaurant. She turned down invitations to events and parties because she was singularly focused on her dream. She is a planner. She doesn't leave things up to chance.

By the end of the film she's learned that some things are more important than her dream. That includes friendship and romance. She's also learned that sometimes things are out of her control and that she needs to accept more spontaneity in her life. But I think it's fair to say she still is good at planning and working hard. The film isn't against hard work and planning. It was a caution against magnifying them at the expense of other important values. Naveen needed more hard work and planning to get him out of the rut he was in. Tiana helped him focus his life.

So, what does all this have to do with Tiana's Bayou Adventure?

Tiana looking for a band the day of a party doesn't make sense with what we know about her. She's a planner. She plans things out years in advance. She is not going to launch an expedition into the dark recesses of the bayou looking for reptiles and small mammals the night of a party. That's out of character. If she was bound and determined to have a critter band, she would have organized it well in advance. I don't know how many of you have journeyed into a bayou before, but I can guarantee that it's not an easy environment to navigate. It's beautiful, but it's also wild and untamed. It's a little like saying, "I'm going to mount an expedition into the Amazon Rainforest so I can find some small creatures to man my cocktail bar later this evening."

It's just not the Tiana we know from the film.

One remedy is to have a crisis. Say Tiana is in the midst of her party planning and finds out that the band she had booked weeks ago has cancelled because they've come down with a cold. She is distraught until Louis suggests they find the animal band he used to play with in the bayou. With no other option, Tiana is forced to journey into the bayou to save her party. And of course, we come along to help.

This would have improved the story in multiple ways. As our protagonist, Tiana would suddenly find herself knocked off her feet. That's important for any good story. We have to see our protagonist struggle for some reason. Our protagonist would also need to exercise humility and put her trust in her friend and the audience. There would also be stakes. She might not find the critter band and then her whole party would be ruined. Her friends who admire her as a hostess might not think of her as a good party planner if the promised music doesn't emerge.

But nothing like the above happens. It's as if the creators of the attraction never stopped to wonder whether Tiana from the film would go galavanting into the bayou night of a big event. It's out of character.

What's the big deal, though? Who cares if the attraction has a different characterization? Isn't it just a ride?

Disney promises us that we will encounter our favorite characters in the park. While I'm dismayed by the IP invasion of the park, I get that this is the business model they've chosen. But if Disney promises Tiana, they should deliver Tiana. Not just something that looks like Tiana and sounds like Tiana. But something that is Tiana. Tiana is not just a voice actor or an image created by artists. She has attributes and characteristics. The fact that attraction that is said to be honoring the Princess and the Frog does not accurately reflect its character is disturbing. What we get is something that looks and sounds like Tiana, but that is hollow and soulless. Again, this is where the "Disney Junior" Tiana comes from.

Tha Realest

Disney promises us that we will encounter our favorite characters in the park. While I'm dismayed by the IP invasion of the park, I get that this is the business model they've chosen. But if Disney promises Tiana, they should deliver Tiana. Not just something that looks like Tiana and sounds like Tiana. But something that is Tiana. Tiana is not just a voice actor or an image created by artists. She has attributes and characteristics. The fact that attraction that is said to be honoring the Princess and the Frog does not accurately reflect its character is disturbing. What we get is something that looks and sounds like Tiana, but that is hollow and soulless. Again, this is where the "Disney Junior" Tiana comes from.
It’s clear the Imagineers don’t care for the Tiana we met in the film. They instead have concocted their own version - which, hey, that’s their prerogative! But just like when you take on the task of replacing an attraction, you should improve on it.

This fails in that their version of the character(s), and their remake of the ride, do not improve on what they continue and have replaced.

FiestaFunKid

Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but one aspect of the story that is confusing to me is - what and where is Tiana's Foods (Yes, I have heard that it is employee-owned) -

-Is this a retail presence like Tiana's Palace, or a food production company using the kitchen in the queue, or a warehouse/distribution center, or a farm that grows okra near rivers?

-Where is this located? - On a river after you go under the sign seemingly welcoming you?, in a salt mine?, in NOLA?, in the Bayou somewhere?

Tiana is supposed to be a great business woman but she may need some marketing help.

aladdin2007

Any thoughts on TBA still considered as a "Disney Mountain" anymore? It feels as the drop into the Bayou doesn't seem as thrilling since you don't have something poking at you as you drop down making this feel more Fantasyland-esque..IMO we lost a Mountain and it's back to the 2 original Space & Big Thunder..
That was a major fail from the beginning,,,whoever thought that was a good idea and the way to go should have been ousted instantly.

FettFan

For all the talk of representing New Orleans, it's odd how it only makes a cameo at the end.

That's less of an issue at Disneyland, because NOS is right there next to it, but in WDW its absence is more noticeable.

It only barely registers as New Orleans…it reminded me more of the old Mexico City celebration from El Rio Del Tiempo.

And I didn’t see anything remotely “Mardi Gras” about it.

Maybe Disney should have created a new villain.

Like Jocco.

1717508708358.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom