Tiana’s Bayou Adventure SPOILER Thread

Disstevefan1

To be honest, I am not passionate either way. I never knew the plot line of Splash till the closure was announced. In Splash, I just liked the ride and the music and the drop.

That said, if we are analyzing it, the side by sides with Splash does show many dark spots in Tiana where Splash was bright with scenes and some less sophisticated animatronics.

It looks fine, and if the wait was not too long I will go on it.

There are some rides I get off and say WOW that was great like:
FOP
Sorin'
Mission Space.
Test Track.
Forbidden Journey in Universal
Spiderman in Universal.
The Mummy in Universal

Tiana is very nice. not a WOW for me.
Maybe in person it will be better.

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, this is a spoiler thread for TBA - not a review of Splash Mountain
And again, if posters cannot respond politely then they will not be allowed to respond at all!

Last edited:
In the Parks
No
What is most concerning to me here is that this wasn’t done on the cheap, so they had enough money to do a lot. How do so many people get together and decide THIS is the storyline? Further, they’ve lost a lot of talent recently, but many of those departed Imagineers still love the parks and would gladly provide advice. It is DEEPLY concerning to me that current Imagineers have the hubris to have Tony f-in’ Baxter in a room, hear his advice, and say, “thanks, but I think we are gonna go in another direction.”

That’s appalling.

And it makes me concerned for other projects. Will they ignore Rohde’s advice on Tropical Americas?

You have these members of your creative team that you elevate to god-like status in your fan communities and then toss them aside? It makes no sense. You can’t start every freakin’ DPB article with “Because Walt Disney once said, ‘…’” if you have no intention of upholding the old standard.
@ToTBellHop I'm still blocked in the other thread so I can't respond there, but this is EXACTLY right. I'm astonished that they could have allowed Tony Baxter to slip away (whether it was him leaving on his own or being asked to leave, I'm not sure), and then to create THIS. Yikes. My teeth are going to be clenched during the next D23, that's for sure.

FettFan

Not really.

A band was missing for the party she was throwing. She wasn't looking for a missing spice.

So, she found 3 critter bands. Then for the final song, her guests were the special spice, not the missing spice.

So…the critters were the missing ingredient?
Hungry Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

Yep. That’s Louisiana!

Dear Prudence

Overall, I feel like it just reminds me of the Na'vi boat ride, and I mean that in the least flattering way possible-- the on impressive animatronic (when it works) and some screens, with nothing else happening. TBA gives the overall same naptime vibes, but idk how the drops are going to factor into the napping.

I am honestly relieved there were not more screens. The screens with the Tiana and Louis being "big" because you've shrunk are the biggest miss for me, honestly. It's not at all convincing.

Dear Prudence

It's a shame really, this scene is so much fun and lively in a way the ride itself isn't. Louis is very well animated here, Eric Goldberg W as usual.
It's funny you say that, because I was just thinking about how the one thing I think TBA does well is capture how obnoxious I think that Louis is. Like they absolutely knocked that out of the park. Even looking at stills of the Louis on the attraction is like nails on a chalkboard to me. 😆

Mama Odie seems to be another character they captured the personality of perfectly.

I don't understand how they robbed Tiana of almost all of hers.

doctornick

I kind of feel like replacing Splash actually did a different disservice to this ride beyond the "this will also get comparisons to Splash" aspect.

Specifically, the ride feels like it was not optimally designed for this specific space and ride mechanism. As others have said, it seems like they have tried to downplay and minimize the big drop rather than embrace it and orient the ride towards that being the climax of the ride.

The ride as designed has some flaws, but I think those flaws are exacerbated by the space used. e.g. the dead areas that are not well filled. I think if WDI were building a brand new ride with a similar premise, they probably would have done something like an IASW set up and around maybe 6-8 minutes of ride time. They could have used the same sort of "finding musicians" concept but with tighter show scenes that wouldn't seem to be superfluous. They would have been able to have less dead space by filling up everything with the figures they did end up using. Potentially they could have ignored the "shrinking" concept as unneeded which may have lessened the use of screens that look out of place. I've got to imagine that some of the odd background choices (especially the salt mine) would have never been developed which adds an unnecessary element to the ride and promotion of it.

And while I think the ride as is will be liked enough, it probably would have been received even better by more hardcore and more casual fans alike with that sort of execution. Probably would have been better for the target audience (dress buying young girls) without the drop/height restriction/getting wet aspect.

It just feels like a missed opportunity to both bring in Tiana to the park in a space designed to maximize the concept while also relieving the ride of the burden of replacing Splash. Also, I just picture in my head how awesome it would have been for MK specifically to use this as a first part of "BBTM" where they could have had a New Orleans Square area north of BTMRR - with a new Tiana ride, a Tiana restaurant, a beignet (and coffee?) quick serve and a NOLA gift shop. Maybe even having another attraction like a jazz show. Heck even more ambitious - having Tiana's restaurant have a Blue Bayou like "look in" for the ride. Just think how that could have been....

Last edited:

mickEblu

Overall, I feel like it just reminds me of the Na'vi boat ride, and I mean that in the least flattering way possible-- the on impressive animatronic (when it works) and some screens, with nothing else happening. TBA gives the overall same naptime vibes, but idk how the drops are going to factor into the napping.

I am honestly relieved there were not more screens. The screens with the Tiana and Louis being "big" because you've shrunk are the biggest miss for me, honestly. It's not at all convincing.

If I had to pinpoint the biggest issues with this ride. In no particular order:

1. The long gaps of nothing (you just can’t do this considering what was replaced)

2. Dialogue/ Story - The Disney Junior Tiana ride. And I want to stress TIANA. Not Princess and the Frog. And we’re acknowledged every step of the way as opposed to just passing by and see what’s going on.

3. Poorly executed screens that take you out of the moment. The background stuff in the finale look nice but the two Mama Odies and the Tiana/ Louis when we shrunk down are awful. The latter being the worst offender. Really hope it gets replaced. The shrinking down scene in general is executed so poorly. Some people may not even realize what’s going on.

4. Lack of suspense and no sense of climax on the lifthill. Mama Odie on a screen replacing the vultures and an uneventful climb up the lift hill is just unforgivable. “Friends on the Other Side” with shadows projected all over the tunnel would have done wonders here.

Things like the excessive signage and poorly placed banners are small potatoes in comparison the above.

The sound track and sound design is an obvious downgrade but not only did we expect this but I don’t feel the issues stick out as sorely as some of the bigger issues listed above.

Things I like: (in general, not better than what it replaced for the most part)

1. The outdoor sections are all themed nicely. I like the color they added. Even the water tower looks nice from the perspective of the rider. I don’t think the Tiana on the second lift hill is necessary at all. I would have been happier with some small critter here

2. The lighting. I’ve always said I like dark rides to be dark

3. Some of the background projections like the fireflies even if they re overshadowed by the fact that they really usually placed in a gap where there needed to be more going on.

4. I like what they do with fireflies in the old LP scenes

5. Kind of like that Afro Cuban Jazz rendition of Dig a Little Deeper with the Frogs

6. The Mama Odie at the top of the lifthill with all of the hanging bottles

7. Finale feels full of life

Honorable Mention: the high quality AAs. Hard for me to give them their own bullet point as I don’t like how Tiana doesn’t look like Tiana. Also it’s hard to highlight them as a positive when we lost so many AAs in general. I’d rather have Tons of good AAs as opposed to 14 great ones and a bunch of rocking critters.

Last edited:

mickEblu

What’s funny is I might have enough money (and I don’t have much) to fix #2, #3, and # 4 above. Re-recording dialogue, projections, playing a song? It’s possible to make this ride a lot better for very little. Still won’t be Splash but much better than what it is now.

Jedi14

The main area of “dead space” seems to be the space between the second band and the Tiana sitting. The spot between the first band and the second I don’t mind due to it having a clear view of the fireflies. They probably could put some static figures of other critters to fill out the space.

davis_unoxx

So Disney
Just noticed from a Youtube video that the Banner hanging outside right before the Finale seems to have been removed? The "To All Who Come To This Happy Place . . ." one.

Not sure if this is temporary, but I would be more than fine with it not returning.
why did they just steal Walt’s quote from opening day Disneyland?

I feel like this ride failed because it tried to be so happy and positive, without anything interesting happening.

zipadee999

Just noticed from a Youtube video that the Banner hanging outside right before the Finale seems to have been removed? The "To All Who Come To This Happy Place . . ." one.

Not sure if this is temporary, but I would be more than fine with it not returning.

EDITED To Add: Looks like someone pointed this out already. Whoops.
Yes, it seems like it’s definitely been removed. I’m unsure as to whether or not it will come back, but I’m praying it doesn’t because the Walt quote should be given to an attraction far more worthy of it lol

WoundedDreamer

This is a fascinating take. I had a strong initial impulse to belittle this video, but that's neither respectful or productive. He's taken an unpopular opinion, and I can tell he's not saying this to be provocative or to be a shill. He believes what he's saying. There's a raw sincerity and even vulnerability that is deeply likable. So, I'm going to force myself to take this video seriously.

Here's some of the points that might actually prove to be right...
1) "Disney shot themselves in the foot releasing the PoV." This isn't an unreasonable argument. This goes back to the motive of why Disney released it in the first place. Was it a marketing stunt gone awry? Was it damage control? I think Occam's razor probably leans towards the marketing stunt. He's not wrong in implying that those who see the PoV will be more likely to be negative going into the ride. I know that describes me. The counter argument is that a ride PoV would have surfaced within a few days of opening anyway. Is it any worse to simply preempt that from happening by releasing a Disney-edited copy where potential distractions and snafus are eliminated? If it's inevitable that TBA will be on the web, why not control the copy that gets out? Still, I think his point is defensible.

2) "The ride feels natural." To summarize, I believe he's lauding the pacing of the attraction. He connects this to the environments encountered in the course of the attraction. For him, the "dead space" is not "dead space" at all. In fact, it's a core part of the storytelling. It's those experiential moments that really don't translate to camera well. It might be that the "vibe" works in those scenes. This is similar to the caverns of Pirates of the Caribbean. In fact, Disneyland's version is beloved precisely because their cavern scenes are extended. No one would would describe that as "dead space," (expect for all the dead pirates) because it serves an important storytelling function. But watching that on video... Yeah, the caverns aren't nearly as fun on a YouTube PoV. So I'm sympathetic to the argument that pacing could be much better in person.

But he doesn't wrestle with the key issue. Story. He doesn't mention the glaring story problems. The story is awful. It has no stakes and no purpose. Nobody cares about this random party the attraction wants us to care deeply about. The celebration at the end of Splash Mountain had been earned. Why? Not because Brer Rabbit told us over and over he needed help planning the celebration. It was because it represented the lesson of the attraction. There was a strong message that your home and community should not be casually tossed aside for a "Laughing Place" that doesn't really exist. Safety comes from relying on those who care about you. Brer Rabbit had to face the possibility of death in order to learn that lesson. The "grass is always greener" can be deadly. While the animals and scenes were lighthearted, it's actually pretty heavy stuff. "Special Spice" doesn't actually connect to the rest of the attraction. Apparently our inclusion in the party is important to making the party fun? Or something? But nothing in the attraction demonstrated that. It's a song filled with platitudes. It sounds okay (not as good as her "Dreams Do Come True in New Orleans" reprise at the end of the film), but it's not earned or meaningful.

This attraction replaced one of the great storytelling rides. And in that way it falls terribly terribly flat.

His reverence for WDI might be making him miss key flaws in the attraction. That's something I can relate to. I used to see them incapable of doing wrong. But for every Expedition Everest there is a Superstar Limo. WDI can misfire. And I fear that's exactly what happened here. I will also take issue with his description of the finale scene as being one of the most amazing things you can see. Tell me this is the most amazing thing you've ever seen! 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom