This is terrible! (Thread orginally posted 9/11/2001)

WDW Vacationer

Never forget 9/11/01. Such a sad day. All those people went to work and never saw their wives, husbands, kids , grandkids, parents, aunts, uncles again. Some kids lost mom and dad. So sad.

markymark

A sad, sad day. Even tho I was so many miles away, living it through the eyes and hearts and minds of so many friends on here has stayed with me for ever.

diddy_mouse

It is never easy to read this thread. :(

But like others have said I believe it needs to be brought up every year (as difficult as that is to say.)

Never forget...

Disneyson 1

Thank you for bringing this thread up again...

My mother was supposed to be in the World Trade Center when it exploded. Thankfully, she was late to work. Appraantly she had to jump over tripped people in the street. It was a nightmare, and my mother wouldn't tell me what had happened until several weeks later.

I'm so glad that a group of strangers with only a single common interest can become a family in times of need.

mightyduck

Ten years... where did the time go?

Well, Magic friends, tomorrow is September 11. I'm sure a search of what was chatted about here on September 10 would show our usual silliness. I had decided to leave education and was home on the 11th while my parents were in Disney World. I was supposed to go to an event for writers and editors in Manhattan that night--I didn't think of it again for weeks.

This thread is a record of how things unfolded. I am watching the WNBC coverage of the memorials already (the emergency workers aren't invited to the official memorial tomorrow--a sore spot here, I assure you). I'm watching police in Manhattan look in trucks as they run down another threat.

Mostly, I remember how, home alone on that day, I relied on the Magic family to make me feel safe. My heart breaks that I cannot thank Rich, our own Tramp dog, this year, as he was a real voice of calm for me as I listened to military planes overhead night and day for several days.

If you haven't seen the memorial site, it's moving, but nothing compares to the conversations that unfolded here on this thread.

The Mom, hugs to you. A big thank you to Steve for keeping this memorial. On September 11, I can never think of anyplace else to go except here, a virtual community that made the world around me a little more bearable and a little less scary.

We will never forget.

Nemo14

I was just thinking about this thread last night. It still makes me cry, 10 years later. ((HUGS)) to all who lost so much that terrible day, and special wishes to Rich's family - he was a true hero too. We will never forget! :kiss:

The Mom

Premium Member
This thread brings back the terror of that day. Fortunately, some of the things we feared did not come to pass - there were no further successful large scale attacks, it did not escalate into another WW, and the economy did not completely collapse with the destruction of so many financial institutions.

For most of us our way of life remained relatively intact, but would never be quite the same again. We lost our sense of security that day.

But those of us who were not personally touched by this tragedy still shared the sorrow of all of the families who were, and anger at so many lives lost.

markymark

Can it really be 10 years since I was sat in my office living this terror from thousands of miles away. Even now I look back and think that to start with, with had no idea how bad it was going to be.

Much love and respect to all those who fell that terrible day, and love for all my wdwmagic friends who lived out every second of it. We will never forget.

ALL my love.

Mark

markymark

Well, Magic friends, tomorrow is September 11. I'm sure a search of what was chatted about here on September 10 would show our usual silliness. I had decided to leave education and was home on the 11th while my parents were in Disney World. I was supposed to go to an event for writers and editors in Manhattan that night--I didn't think of it again for weeks.

This thread is a record of how things unfolded. I am watching the WNBC coverage of the memorials already (the emergency workers aren't invited to the official memorial tomorrow--a sore spot here, I assure you). I'm watching police in Manhattan look in trucks as they run down another threat.

Mostly, I remember how, home alone on that day, I relied on the Magic family to make me feel safe. My heart breaks that I cannot thank Rich, our own Tramp dog, this year, as he was a real voice of calm for me as I listened to military planes overhead night and day for several days.

If you haven't seen the memorial site, it's moving, but nothing compares to the conversations that unfolded here on this thread.

The Mom, hugs to you. A big thank you to Steve for keeping this memorial. On September 11, I can never think of anyplace else to go except here, a virtual community that made the world around me a little more bearable and a little less scary.

We will never forget.

Sat here now in my kitchen,in the very early hours of September 11....... I dont think we knew what that day meant.......I know so much has changed in our own lives and especially in the world we live in, but please.....lets never let this thread die. Its too important because it explains the way we all felt that day.

I miss Rich too, he was a true gent, who always was there for his Disney family.

Love to mom, ducky, ariel, and freak and promey and everyone who shared that terrible day on here.

The wounds do not heal, only seem further away.

LOVE YOU ALL

xx

figmentmom

A day I'll never forget...I was teaching a fifth grade music class during the actual attack. Our principal came to each classroom and spoke quietly and privately to each teacher, letting us know what had happened, and asking us to keep it from the kids. NO TV, no internet, no computer use where a student might come across the news accidentally. When I got home, the news broadcasts replayed the footage of the second plane flying into the second tower relentlessly, and EVERY TIME I prayed it was all just a nightmare.

Thank you, Magic friends, for being here for me that day.

And rest in peace, Kenny Cubas, my good friend who died in the collapse of Tower 2.

diddy_mouse

It's still difficult to read this thread after all these years. I can't remember when I started posting on it but I know I make a point to comment every year on that horrible day.

I still remember everything I did that morning/afternoon. It was the fall semester of my sophomore year. I remember hearing the usually crass morning radio DJ say that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. Things only got worse from there when I heard about the Pentagon. I lived/was going to school in Northern Virginia so I can honestly say I was legitimately scared.

Thank you for keeping this thread going. My thoughts are always with those who lost loved ones on that day. I ended up talking to a Pentagon survivor at my store a month ago. It was a very nice conversation but my heart ached when she told me what she had been through. Never forget...

dandaman

A day I'll never forget...I was teaching a fifth grade music class during the actual attack.

Interestingly enough, I was in a fifth-grade class (on the student side) when it happened. I had a pretty good relationship with the teachers there -- my mom was the librarian -- and I can mostly remember the looks on the faces in the teacher's lounge when I walked by, running the gamut from shock to anger to hopelessness.

Being in a border town (Windsor-Detroit) and having dual-citizenship was an odd experience. The bridge I crossed every week to see my grandparents was closed; many of my friends' parents work stateside and were cut off from their families for days. My sister (then in 7th grade) and I sold red white & blue ribbons at our school barbecue a week after the attacks, and earned over $1000 in donations, which the school board ended up matching.

And yet, the most vivid image I have of all of it is coming home around 4pm that day to my mom trying her best not to cry in front of us (and failing). I'd seen her cry before, but for people I knew, not complete strangers... and that was when I knew things would be different.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Wow...10 years past. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Even though I wasn't active in the thread, I remember the old WDWMagic chat room being open that day. Many of us stuck around all day to talk about everything that had happened, while awaiting word from those that lived in those areas. It was one of those days that cemented us "old timers" on these boards as a family. That shared experience is something I'll never forget.

Since then, I've become a member of the law enforcement community, and now mourn today for our lost brothers. Nobody knows or can totally comprehend the brotherhood that firemen and policemen have with each other. We fight, live and die together.

You never take for granted when you can come home and kiss your family good night.

That day so many of my brothers never got that opportunity again.

God Bless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom