The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Goofyernmost

Ironically, the "love of rides" mentality--which I agree is a problem, btw, is probably the second biggest reason IoA struggled before Potter (#1 being horrible marketing). Guests with the commando mentality instilled by years at WDW would be done with all the major rides by mid-afternoon, not realizing the park is filled with non-ride experiences like "If I Ran the Zoo" or "Jurrassic Park Discovery Center." The erroneous "UO has nothing for small children" criticism seems to stem from that mentality as well.
Blame Fastpass for that. Commando park touring did not exist before good old Fastpass! The scourge of theme parks everywhere. Since the beginning my theory was if you can't take a vacation, relax and stand in line for a few minutes, look at the created theme and just enjoy the place, perhaps one should just stay home and play video games.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Blame Fastpass for that. Commando park touring did not exist before good old Fastpass! The scourge of theme parks everywhere. Since the beginning my theory was if you can't take a vacation, relax and stand in line for a few minutes, look at the created theme and just enjoy the place, perhaps one should just stay home and play video games.

One shall make ones own mind up what constitutes enjoyment for one. Perhaps if one cant deal with change one should move to a gated community.

71jason

I totally agree. Again, if anything, it hits UO harder--there are plenty of rides at UO where the experience is lessened by not getting the backstory in the queue (Spider-man and Transformers being prime examples).

71jason

Thanks for sharing the information that there are, in fact, tenants signed. However, isn't the lack of early announcements unusual for such a project? Granted I'm hardly an expert, but I have seen shopping complexes announce at least major (anchor) tenants before even breaking ground on the construction, and maybe a couple years from opening (and, occasionally, it never even actually gets built).

We've known the major tenants for The Orlando Eye since last Summer/Fall. In an area with far more surrounding competition than DTD.

FigmentFreak

I hope they do not add the Killer Rabbits.. they are animals but.. deadly..
Will they also add an attraction to see who can shop more members from the black knight with a giant battle axe?
Also pretty sure the Cow Throwing contest with catapults will be a very popular attraction!

The Black knight limb chopping along with the animal catapult will be the games for the Python section. The game attendants will scream "I fart in your general" direction if you refuse to come over and play the games.

CDavid

unfortunately some haven't figured out how to enjoy Disney without having to do just rides which is why that is what a lot of the talk is about these days. Forget anything else they do, it's all about rides to some (and that's ok) which is why some think Uni is going to take over. I certainly think Disney could use more rides...but I also know how to have fun with my family there without riding a coaster all day.

You're painting with too broad a brush. Stating that rides (and attractions) are central to the theme park experience isn't the same thing as being "all about rides". Nobody is discounting everything else (shops, dining, themed environments, etc.) but a park without attractions normally is referred to instead as a shopping complex (Downtown Disney), with a key problem being that some WDW parks have a very limited roster of attractions.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Cool. DL packs a mighty punch. :)

I'll never stop crying about all those 120 FL darkrides at DL. Still, however much I think the article drives home a good point, and doesn't need the 2663524nd 'where's my attractions' reply, rides alone do feel like an incomplete comparison between resorts for 'number of experiences'.

One does not do WDW justice without CoP and the Country Bears, American Adventure and the WS movies, BatB and LM and Indy, Flights of Wonder and FotLK. WDW has many more shows.
Secondly, with four parks, WDW can afford diversity between its parks. DAK and DHS have few rides by choice. DAK shouldn't have a lot of rides, it needs to have a lot of animal trails and exhibits. DHS doesn't need rides, it needs a lot of shows as the showbizz park.
And thirdly, all those monorails and ferries and boats do count for a lot. I think we can all agree with @WDWDad13 that rides are but one aspect of the Disney experience.

And... Jedi Training Academy. :angelic:

Goofyernmost

One shall make ones own mind up what constitutes enjoyment for one. Perhaps if one cant deal with change one should move to a gated community.
Read what was written and not what you think it was. I was expressing my opinion on the reason for commando behavior and then expressed my opinion about it. I didn't expect people to stay home because I think they should. Don't make another mountain out of a molehill. I don't care if people wear a pair a shoes out per day, I just wouldn't want to do that. So I will make my own mind up about what constitutes enjoyment for me and then express it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Read what was written and not what you think it was. I was expressing my opinion on the reason for commando behavior and then expressed my opinion about it. I didn't expect people to stay home because I think they should. Don't make another mountain out of a molehill. I don't care if people wear a pair a shoes out per day, I just wouldn't want to do that. So I will make my own mind up about what constitutes enjoyment for me and then express it.

Perhaps my confusion stems from the fact that the language you elected to use seems to convey your advice to others rather than your own personal choice. You do like to express things Ill grant you, its when the expressions are questioned that the toys are ejected forcibly from the stroller.

ParentsOf4

63% OCCUPANCY is what WL was the week of Spring Break....pretty much the entire week. I heard the EPCOT resorts weren't much higher.
Well @jlsHouston, you taught me a new one.

I'm at AKL right now and simply asked concierge for hotel occupancy.

AKL overall: 83%
DVC Kidani Village: 96%
DVC Jambo House: 94%
AKL (hotel only): 70%

As the CM told me, DVC always pulls up the overall occupancy.

P.S. On Sunday, hotel occupancy was at 63%

Goofyernmost

Perhaps my confusion stems from the fact that the language you elected to use seems to convey your advice to others rather than your own personal choice. You do like to express things Ill grant you, its when the expressions are questioned that the toys are ejected forcibly from the stroller.
I'm not even sure what that means, but, I'll bet there was a slam in there someplace. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom