The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Miceage had an interesting article today comparing the number of "rides" at WDW to the number of rides at Disneyland Resort. This was just talking about rides, not theater shows like the Tiki Room or Captain EO or Mr. Lincoln or Impressions de France. As you can imagine, it wasn't a fair fight and WDW collapsed under the weight of all those MagicBands. http://micechat.com/62614-which-disney-park-has-the-most-rides/

For those who don't want to read that article, the Miceage answer to the interesting question "Which Disney property has the most rides?"...

Walt Disney World
Total Thrill Rides: 12
Total Rides Unique to WDW: 23
Total Rides At All Four WDW Parks Combined: 50

Disneyland Resort
Total Thrill Rides: 11
Total Rides Unique to DLR: 30
Total Rides At Both Disneyland Resort Parks Combined: 57

Of course, you and I knew that @JimboJones123 , but it's always shocking for those who have only visited WDW and just assume it has more rides. It doesn't, and perhaps never will.
He was a bit selective about attractions.

Still, it's hard to say that they don't cram a whole lot into DLC when compared to WDW...they certainly do.

Interesting article.

TP2000

He was a bit selective about attractions.

Still, it's hard to say that they don't cram a whole lot into DLC when compared to WDW...they certainly do.

Interesting article.

Yeah, but that was his thing right from the start of his article. It wasn't going to be about "Attractions", it was about rides.

As he said... "So what makes a ride? If you can stand or sit and it transports you more than a few feet, it’s a ride. No 3-D movies, no exhibits, no Circle Visions, no Great Escapes, and no Laugh Floors." -David Yeh, Micechat Moderator/Author

If it were me, I would have counted the Carousel of Progress as a ride because of it's unique rotating theater, but he didn't count that. If I had made that list WDW would have been a total of 51 rides to Disneyland's 57.

Cesar R M

Yeah, but that was his thing right from the start of his article. It wasn't going to be about "Attractions", it was about rides.

As he said... "So what makes a ride? If you can stand or sit and it transports you more than a few feet, it’s a ride. No 3-D movies, no exhibits, no Circle Visions, no Great Escapes, and no Laugh Floors." -David Yeh, Micechat Moderator/Author

If it were me, I would have counted the Carousel of Progress as a ride because of it's unique rotating theater, but he didn't count that. If I had made that list WDW would have been a total of 51 rides to Disneyland's 57.

still lower when you compare 4 mayor parks + 2 waterparks vs 2 parks.

MerlinTheGoat

Merlin, why would u say NFL doesn't cater to kids?!? o_O
I never said that at all. I said the attraction quality of FLE is lacking when compared to Disneyland's Fantasyland, particularly the superior quality AND quantity of dark rides found at Disneyland's Fantasyland compared to the likes of Mermaid (or even WDW's now archaic and desperately in need of an update Peter Pan, which falls well short of the Disneyland version of the ride now). The same goes for Disneyland Paris for that matter, which is also packed full of a number of quality attractions at its Fantasyland, similar though fewer than Disneyland's (and Paris has the added benefit of the still arguably most gorgeous themed version of Fantasyland of them all, providing both style and substance).

Too often children are raised with low standards of entertainment and really don't know any better (I find myself fortunate to have been a child growing up in the early 90's and exposed to kid-oriented Disney parks, TV shows and movies when they were at their epitome of quality). Many kids though are perfectly happy with visiting a cheap tacky roadside carnival (and the existence of Dinorama is a good example of that).

Even in Fantasyland attractions though, I expect a certain level of quality. And compared to most other Fantasylands around the world (perhaps excluding Hong Kong Disneyland due to its version of Fantasyland being light on attractions in general), FLE is lacking that quality in its attractions (it has good theming but lacking in substance).

The Empress Lilly

I'm afraid stock splits are irrelevant. They exist only to make practical trading easier when the price of one single stock has become cumbersome large (or cumbersome small in case of a reverse split). Sometimes for ego or psychological presentation. They have become increasingly rare as investing has gone electronic.

My mac&cheese stand with 10 outstanding shares of $10 each after a 2:1 stocksplit is a company with 20 outstanding shares of $5. With the same market cap of $100. Except for psychological effects, misunderstandings, and the voodoo that surrounds haute finance, stock splits are a purely technical measure that have no effect on stock price, nor on market cap, and are not a measurement of company health. It is financially as important an indicator as changing the image of Mickey Mouse on a Disney share for Donald Duck.

The Empress Lilly

Not in a a business model. You should never go away from what took you to the top (park maintenance) playing a vital role in separating you from the competition. Not to mention pushing the envelope on innovative attractions. Last serious game changer was ToT. I'm serious Disney parks better watch out because Universal is doing exactly what Disney use to do. As I've said more than once, once Universal gets multiple generations of fans it's an equal playing field. 20 years and counting for a truly ground breaking attraction at your number one money making destination? That is absolutely inexcusable.
I agree that with UNI and WDW growing ever more indistinguishable, that Disney may be in for a shock when it's winner takes all mechanisms evaporate.

But is ToT really the last game changer, or the last ground breaking atraction? We may very well think that, but I do not think that is the reality in the executive offices, nor on customer satisfaction surveys.

WDW game changers since ToT:
- DAK. An entire park has opened, now the third most visited in Orlando. It saw a massive game changing addition again with Everest in 2006, and work is in progress as we speak for it's most ambitious expansion yet.
- Blizzard. An entire waterpark, the second most visited waterpark worldwide, with the then highest and fastest water slide ride in the world.
- At ToT's own park, it's popularity has been eclipsed by TSMM. Which Disney considers a breakthrough in applied technology (both the - deliberately sparse - set dressing and the gaming content can be changed at little costs, in effect making the ride infinitely replaceable with the latest IP to be pushed. As far as I'm concerned they swap it out for Frozen's Snowball Throwing Mania)
- Future World, which to us fans looks stale and outright rubbish, in guest surveys added hit after hit since ToT with Test Track, Turtle Talk, Soarin', and even Mission Space.
- The MK is undergoing a game changing overhaul, culminating a month from now in the opening of Dwarf.

The Empress Lilly

Miceage had an interesting article today comparing the number of "rides" at WDW to the number of rides at Disneyland Resort. This was just talking about rides, not theater shows like the Tiki Room or Captain EO or Mr. Lincoln or Impressions de France. As you can imagine, it wasn't a fair fight and WDW collapsed under the weight of all those MagicBands. http://micechat.com/62614-which-disney-park-has-the-most-rides/

For those who don't want to read that article, the Miceage answer to the interesting question "Which Disney property has the most rides?"...

Walt Disney World
Total Thrill Rides: 12
Total Rides Unique to WDW: 23
Total Rides At All Four WDW Parks Combined: 50

Disneyland Resort
Total Thrill Rides: 11
Total Rides Unique to DLR: 30
Total Rides At Both Disneyland Resort Parks Combined: 57

Of course, you and I knew that @JimboJones123 , but it's always shocking for those who have only visited WDW and just assume it has more rides. It doesn't, and perhaps never will.
Cool. DL packs a mighty punch. :)

I'll never stop crying about all those 120 FL darkrides at DL. Still, however much I think the article drives home a good point, and doesn't need the 2663524nd 'where's my attractions' reply, rides alone do feel like an incomplete comparison between resorts for 'number of experiences'.

One does not do WDW justice without CoP and the Country Bears, American Adventure and the WS movies, BatB and LM and Indy, Flights of Wonder and FotLK. WDW has many more shows.
Secondly, with four parks, WDW can afford diversity between its parks. DAK and DHS have few rides by choice. DAK shouldn't have a lot of rides, it needs to have a lot of animal trails and exhibits. DHS doesn't need rides, it needs a lot of shows as the showbizz park.
And thirdly, all those monorails and ferries and boats do count for a lot. I think we can all agree with @WDWDad13 that rides are but one aspect of the Disney experience.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
Just a note to all my fans (monkeys and all) and, more importantly, my friends, I have decided that since everyone seems to have spent the last 4-5 weeks on Spring Break in Florida that it is time for me to take one ... and wasting the one time of year where the weather is truly like paradise to spend online here isn't what I choose for my break. So, I'll be taking some time off after answering a few posts tonight. ... Rest assured, like a bad case of herpes, I will return.
You gonna put @Lee in charge? Oh boy. Guess I better fasten my seat belt.

PeterAlt

Which is why many of us are ALREADY panning it, Lasseter put his full weight behind Carsland, If reports from reliable sources are to be believed the TDO 'quality reduction squad' has already chopped the budget significantly with the only 'E-Ticket' attraction already axed.

Soooo, Not holding out for an AMAZING experience, IF it's completed i'm thinking FLE ie pretty but no substance.
What are you talking about when you said "with TDO already cutting the only E-ticket?" FLE? There was something else planned other than Mermaid?

PeterAlt

I'm afraid stock splits are irrelevant. They exist only to make practical trading easier when the price of one single stock has become cumbersome large (or cumbersome small in case of a reverse split). Sometimes for ego or psychological presentation. They have become increasingly rare as investing has gone electronic.

My mac&cheese stand with 10 outstanding shares of $10 each after a 2:1 stocksplit is a company with 20 outstanding shares of $5. With the same market cap of $100. Except for psychological effects, misunderstandings, and the voodoo that surrounds haute finance, stock splits are a purely technical measure that have no effect on stock price, nor on market cap, and are not a measurement of company health. It is financially as important an indicator as changing the image of Mickey Mouse on a Disney share for Donald Duck.
But it makes it easier for "the little people" to buy stock. As a high school student then, I was able to buy 100 shares. Try doing that today on a modest budget!

WDWDad13

I dunno, I've been through the Belle thing a few times and kids seem to love being part of the show, proud to hold up those cutouts. Moms, dads, grandparents all joining in on the fun. IMO I'd say that attraction/show has been a success.

Yes it is, I love watching the kids faces when belle first enters and talks to them but it's not a "ride".....unfortunately some haven't figured out how to enjoy Disney without having to do just rides which is why that is what a lot of the talk is about these days. Forget anything else they do, it's all about rides to some (and that's ok) which is why some think Uni is going to take over. I certainly think Disney could use more rides...but I also know how to have fun with my family there without riding a coaster all day. Maybe it's because I go so frequently vs some that just visit once every couple of years so there is a difference there too....I just wish people would open their eyes more and take in all the little things and atmosphere instead of making a b-line running to soarin, toy story mania, etc.

doctornick

Yes, it is as much a ride as Soarin' really.

Another one is that the Monorail in DL gets counted as a ride, but a very similar experience with the MK and Epcot lines do not (insert joke about the quality of the WDW monorails here).

I certainly agree with the major point that WDW should have far more rides. Especially at DAK and DHS.

71jason

what part of that seemed like "taking a shot at Uni" vs complimenting Uni saying if people just cared about "rides", then I can see why some like it. I guess you didn't get that

Ironically, the "love of rides" mentality--which I agree is a problem, btw, is probably the second biggest reason IoA struggled before Potter (#1 being horrible marketing). Guests with the commando mentality instilled by years at WDW would be done with all the major rides by mid-afternoon, not realizing the park is filled with non-ride experiences like "If I Ran the Zoo" or "Jurrassic Park Discovery Center." The erroneous "UO has nothing for small children" criticism seems to stem from that mentality as well.

Goofyernmost

If folks want to read what the Spirit has to say without meandering through 343 pages, just use the search button. You can filter it by user. That's how I'm able to keep up with it. Sheesh, its not that hard. Frankly, these types of threads are why I'm on here anymore lately. I enjoy these long threads because they provide me with some delightful insight to many things I have limited or no knowledge of.
As long as you only want to hear one side of a conversation that may be the way to go. Spirit does indeed, have a lot to offer when he wants too, but, he isn't infallible (sorry, Spirit... somebody had to say it) and to basically cancel out all other input, is neither wise nor informative. It is the diversion that makes the thread worth reading, whether one agrees with it or not. I think, in spite of his worthiness, I pretty much think that nothing but one persons pontification would make one of the best cures for insomnia ever.

To bad you will never see this particular post, who knows, it might have been enlightening.;)

bhg469

As long as you only want to hear one side of a conversation that may be the way to go. Spirit does indeed, have a lot to offer when he wants too, but, he isn't infallible (sorry, Spirit... somebody had to say it) and to basically cancel out all other input, is neither wise nor informative. It is the diversion that makes the thread worth reading, whether one agrees with it or not. I think, in spite of his worthiness, I pretty much think that nothing but one persons pontification would make one of the best cures for insomnia ever.

To bad you will never see this particular post, who knows, it might have been enlightening.;)
Especially when it comes to "the walking dead". He called Robert kirkman a fanboi.. Either he doesn't quite understand what a fanboi is or who Robert kirkman is. Anyway he's got opinions and I happen to share his opinions about Disney as a whole but I definitely think he talks out of his posterior on a lot of other topics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom