The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

StageFrenzy

What did he just say?

*Sarcasm off*

"Just the facts ma'am"

The Trojan horse was built by the Greeks during the Trojan war, thus was not from Troy.*

Photodave referenced the USC Trojans and UCLA Bears, neither of which are good at football or basketball in comparison to MSU Spartans at the moment.***

The Athenian of course was Odysseus who took a roundabout way home from Troy known as the Odyssey.

The Odyssey was formally a restaurant in between World of Motion and Mexico, built on top of the water. Now used as event space.

Any more questions?

*I guess if it was built on Trojan beaches, with Trojan wood** it could be Trojan?
**wood, hehe
***Irony, coming from a guy with a USF avatar. Almost as much as irony as @flyerjab posting an anti-HP post, they are still an okay person though.

StageFrenzy

Correct and the channels on their network are paid 1000 views per video and some are 1000 Ad-clicks per video as well ... and most channels are managed( so they can get around the Youtube automatic copyright system)oh and they can easily switch to another MCN.

Thinking about it more unless Disney thinks blip.tv is next Youtube(HINT: It isn't) a better purchase would be buy Hulu - and create a Disney subscription service for all the movies and TV content.

The only problem with hulu is it Co-owned by Fox and *gasp* NBC in addition to disney. That puppy would be a lot more expensive than some YouTube talent agency.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Branding.

That's what this current batch of executives is all about. A brand.

Just remember, the kind of corporate performance they expect out of the theme parks, they will expect out of that channel. They will expect the profit margin.

I view it as kind of a touchstone films but on YouTube. It will allow just need to compete in the online marketplace without having to put it under their own brand. Meaning you can make dick and fart jokes and get away with it…

So does this mean that the (bootleg) videos of Song Of the South and other such films will be removed from Youtube?

Disney really is going out of their way to make sure us innocent Mericans never see that film again, aren't they?!

What do you expect from all the outsourcing?

Here's a fun question: How man years before they give up on the magicbands?

When they start surveying people and hear that they aren't coming back because of them or not visiting because of them coupled with bottom line hits that they can't cover with more cuts and serving stray kitty and calling it NY Strip!

Yeah. I don't think they're going to tuck their tails for a few more years, but it'll probably take a good hard hit in the gut ($$$$) coupled with a left to the temple (lots of empty rooms) and a kick to the (the bands get a word-of-mouth reputation from previous visitors, driving potential new visitors elsewhere) before the MBs are completely abandoned.

To be frank, Disney has a lot riding on this.... probably more than they bargained for.

The day Iger is out of office and (with any luck, his successor won't be quite so Darth Vader-ish) the new guy steps in, I hope he's at least able to see the faults of the company, the issues with the parks, and more importantly, I hope he's able to correct them before it's too late.

I'd love for us all to be able to do this dance when Iger's reign is over.

CYZ8w.gif

ParentsOf4

Here's a fun question: How man years before they give up on the magicbands?
We won't see MagicBands disappear until someone whose last name is not Iger, Rasulo, or Staggs becomes CEO.

The costs already are sunk into My Disney Experience.

There simply is too much cost (and ego) tied to them.

Or they could revolutionize the amusement park industry and become the symbol of a new Golden Age at WDW. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would hope that you can get discounts, but that should have all been programmed from Day 1. This is something that was approved five years ago and talked about years before. And they still don't have the basics covered.
You seem to be forgetting that we are still in the "test" ;)
This means that day 1 has not yet arrived - and possibly never will. It sure is handy never officially starting something.

Soarin' Over Pgh

This means that day 1 has not yet arrived - and possibly never will. It sure is handy never officially starting something.

I wish I could not officially start anything.

And yeah, I actually did forget we're still in "test' phase. :banghead:

orky8

When they start surveying people and hear that they aren't coming back because of them or not visiting because of them coupled with bottom line hits that they can't cover with more cuts and serving stray kitty and calling it NY Strip!

This would imply Disney is driven by guest satisfaction and not bottom line dollars, which we know is backwards. I don't see magicbands going away until Disney decides they cost too much and aren't worth the marginal improvement to guest satisfaction that they offer.

Besides, magicbands are actually quite nice and do improve the guest experience. To be clear -- NO -- they were not worth the massive investment Disney has made in MyMagic+ instead of attractions, but they are convenient, especially if staying on property. I don't really see anything negative about the bands themselves and those who don't want them can still get RFID cards instead. They weren't worth the investment, probably, but that investment already happened. Give them a try, you'll find they are actually kinda nice.

Everyone -- this board and Disney's Board -- needs to move on from MyMagic+ and accept that it will never deliver a ROI, but instead was a sunk cost to offer marginal improvement to the guest experience. Ironically, in some ways, it's one of the most Disney things Disney has done in a while (albeit, completely unintentionally). Instead of waiting for an ROI that will never materialize, it's time write it off and move on to investing in the parks the old fashioned way -- building attractions.

ETA: although, now as I reread your post, perhaps you post meant they aren't getting people to come back, which I would agree -- they won't do that. Not, as I read it at first, that they aren't coming back because of them. In short, magicbands won't change guest behavior one way or the other, IMO. They are nice, but not influential.

Last edited:

crispy

You mean... People got defensive and read what they wanted to read.

Shame on me for expecting people to be able to process more than one thought per post

Shame on you for expecting people to read your mind. Your intent might have been one thing, but your words were another. Don't try to weasel out of that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Shame on you for expecting people to read your mind. Your intent might have been one thing, but your words were another. Don't try to weasel out of that.

Shame on you for jumping down someone's throat even when they corrected you. No, you were biased to jump on me about it. Go back to the original post, notice how there are TWO paragraphs, not one? Then rewind the clock and recall when writing, why do you start a new paragraph?

If you want a simple example of my thought... just look at the shoes that girls wear now. Platform stilettos used to be tramp shoes... now... teenagers wear them.

Knee high boots used to be exotic sexy... now... they are business casual.

Let's not forget... in 1990... this image was supposed to be a hooker...
julia-roberts-pretty-woman.jpg

Looks like a mom picking up dry cleaning these days...

71jason

Besides, magicbands are actually quite nice and do improve the guest experience. To be clear -- NO -- they were not worth the massive investment Disney has made in MyMagic+ instead of attractions, but they are convenient, especially if staying on property. I don't really see anything negative about the bands themselves and those who don't want them can still get RFID cards instead.

This. Hotel guests love them, very convenient room key, makes it easy to buy a pina colada or a burger poolside. Until WDW springs for retina scanners on the doors, the bands will probably be sticking around. I bet they give PhotoPass a boost as well.

But FastPass+? I suspect its days are (relatively) numbered. The good thing is I imagine it will be easy to retrofit MagicBands into a pay-for-access Fastpass.

Soarin' Over Pgh

This.

But FastPass+? I suspect its days are (relatively) numbered. The good thing is I imagine it will be easy to retrofit MagicBands into a pay-for-access Fastpass.

Yep! That's exactly what I think will become of the MagicBand FP+ system. It will become a pay-per-ride, or pay-for-use system only, and not just handed out freely to anyone who steps foot on property. Using the MB strictly as a room door opener, park entrance ticket, will be the 'norm' with the additional bonus of paying to access and use the FastPass + service.

That's the only way I can think Disney is going to recoup any funds putting this system together.

CDavid

Speaking of Magic Bands, anyone have any idea if any significant number of people are still opting for an RFID card instead of a band? Or are there many people who aren't wearing the thing on their wrist (in pocket, or whatever)?

orky8

This. Hotel guests love them, very convenient room key, makes it easy to buy a pina colada or a burger poolside. Until WDW springs for retina scanners on the doors, the bands will probably be sticking around. I bet they give PhotoPass a boost as well.

FP+ needs to be tweaked. In some ways it is better than the old system (not running around the park, not having to get there early to get a FP that won't be good for many hours - i.e., TSMM, etc.), but in some ways it is inferior (limited to 3, no park hopping, the necessary evil that is tiers, etc.). And, if you are staying offsite and have to use a kiosk, then, well, it sucks.

But, with FP+, the "good" thing is the major investment has been made -- tweaking should be relatively easy. I don't think pay for access is the answer, though. What I think they should do (though a bit controversial) is use FP+ to push its resorts. They already sorta do this by allowing booking 60 days out. They should also add extra FPs for each resort level. Mods get 4 (1 tier 1, 3 tier 2s) and Deluxes get 5 (2 tier 1s, and 3 tier 2s). As well, I'd add that park hoppers can get 2 extra FPs at an additional park (though this might require tiering AK). Nonresort guests get day of access once they enter the park, but enable access through smartphones.

Frankly, if they did this, which is really just software, I'd be pretty happy with FP+. Then, they should also add attractions/capacity at DHS and Epcot and AK so the tiers can be eliminated.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Has anyone seen any numbers for video sales of Frozen's opening week? Any comparisons to the 'classics' original VHS/DVD releases?

I don't think any of the trackers have posted data for frozen's time window yet. Remember frozen did this funky phased release with actual bluray sales well behind the online/ondemand stuff

Jeffxz

Do you have any details on how the AP/DVC discounts will be implemented in to the bands? Will it be an automatic discount when paying with the band? Will a photo id still be required?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom