The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ABQ

Has anyone seen any numbers for video sales of Frozen's opening week? Any comparisons to the 'classics' original VHS/DVD releases?

... the usual suspects, @ParentsOf4 @WDW1974 @marni1971
Not sure if it's the top selling Disney animation ever, but the Lion King sold something along 4.5 million video tapes day one. Frozen supposedly sold 3.2 million DVDs (combined bluray/traditional DVD) including pre-orders day 1. Not too shabby, but not Lion Kingesque yet. However, there were no online streaming on demand options for Simba and his pals. Not sure if those totals for Frozen will be released.

ParkMan73

This. Hotel guests love them, very convenient room key, makes it easy to buy a pina colada or a burger poolside. Until WDW springs for retina scanners on the doors, the bands will probably be sticking around. I bet they give PhotoPass a boost as well.

But FastPass+? I suspect its days are (relatively) numbered. The good thing is I imagine it will be easy to retrofit MagicBands into a pay-for-access Fastpass.

There's got to be more still coming though. I don't care how many servers, RFID readers, or website developers they've bought. For what it's doing so far - they cannot have spent 1B+ on this. It just doesn't add up.

orky8

There's got to be more still coming though. I don't care how many servers, RFID readers, or website developers they've bought. For what it's doing so far - they cannot have spent 1B+ on this. It just doesn't add up.

You clearly have never worked for the Federal government, which is, it appears, where Disney got its inspiration for how to plan and budget this project.

maxairmike

You seem to be forgetting that we are still in the "test" ;)
This means that day 1 has not yet arrived - and possibly never will. It sure is handy never officially starting something.

How long was Gmail in "beta" for, like 5 years? I have a feeling that's about how long it will take before they're willing to take the "test" tag off. Of course, they may decide that the ramifications of removing the "test" tag (i.e. everyone actually expects the entire system to work consistently) along with any positives they perceive of folks putting up with the "test" to try out something "new" are too much to remove it. In which case they'll probably try to pull a Walt quote of 'it will never really be finished.' Gag me now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep! That's exactly what I think will become of the MagicBand FP+ system. It will become a pay-per-ride, or pay-for-use system only, and not just handed out freely to anyone who steps foot on property. Using the MB strictly as a room door opener, park entrance ticket, will be the 'norm' with the additional bonus of paying to access and use the FastPass + service.

That's the only way I can think Disney is going to recoup any funds putting this system together.

Welcome to the MagicPass+

Rides 1-3 4.99 Each, 4-7 7.99 Each 8 and Above 12.99 Each

Resort Guests get 1 free ride as part of admission.

This would effectively double ticket prices for the 'commando' WDW visitor

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Reliable sources place the actual spend at over 2B, Even though in the commercial world this is no more than 3-500M worth of project, However there is a laundry list of Gov't contractors involved in this project and they charge 10x 'real-world' rates.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
In regards to the commercials advertising to "come be a part of the test", who in the Disney advertising department thought this would be a good idea? Is it just spin so people hear the word "test" and excuse the shortcomings of MM+ or is it actually a good move? Anybody in advertising that could shed light on this kind of thing?

I personally think they could have advertised "come wear your leggins at Disney" and it would have been better.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Let's not forget... in 1990... this image was supposed to be a hooker...
julia-roberts-pretty-woman.jpg

Looks like a mom picking up dry cleaning these days...

A Scottish hooker
ford_1821372b.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
In regards to the commercials advertising to "come be a part of the test", who in the Disney advertising department thought this would be a good idea? Is it just spin so people hear the word "test" and excuse the shortcomings of MM+ or is it actually a good move? Anybody in advertising that could shed light on this kind of thing?

IMO - the critique of these commercials has been the biggest bag of hot air. Ask 8 out of 10 people after watching that commercial I bet they didn't even catch the 'test' part... and 10 out of 10 wouldn't think twice about what it means. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I personally think they could have advertised "come wear your leggins at Disney" and it would have been better.

I currently have a client in my office, waiting to see my boss. She's discussing her vacation next week, which happens to be at WDW. Wilderness Lodge, 10 days. I mentioned the construction at the MK and she goes "doesn't matter, we're only there for the morning anyhow. We don't have small kids, it's really not for us" then we had a chuckle over the Fast Pass+ system and her option of booking a FP+ for iasw. Both her and her husband laughed aloud at that one.

She was telling me how that FP+ system works (and I let her, I love playing dumb sometimes) and how easy it was for her to book things and she's already got her days planned out. But her comments regarding Epcot's FP+ tier system and AK was rather uncomfortable. She didn't book anything past Everest at AK because, as she says "theres nothing else there we really like" and Epcot she FP+ Test Track only, same reason.

I quoted you, @wdisney9000 because it kinda ties in with what you're saying. My client had no idea it's still in "test phase" and wasn't quite sure what to make of the tiering system. She's OK with the rest of the uses for the Magicband (but due to an allergy, she'll be carrying it in a backpack, not wearing it) and asked me if it's waterproof and if she needs to use it to 'check in' at the front desk.

There's obviously still some confusion around the band itself, let alone the program.

She did compliment the packaging the bands came in, saying it was really nice but questioned why they were mailed to her house versus waiting for her at the hotel when she checks in. I thought about this and... yeah, why do they mail it to you?

Anyhow I asked for an update on her trip when she gets back.

flynnibus

Premium Member
She did compliment the packaging the bands came in, saying it was really nice but questioned why they were mailed to her house versus waiting for her at the hotel when she checks in. I thought about this and... yeah, why do they mail it to you?

I think it's two fold.. one, this will be your 'vacation planner' package that Disney has classically sent before your trip anyways. It's Disney's opportunity to remind you to book your stuff, etc... market to you.. etc. Second, you've seen Disney more more and more towards zero-interaction hotel checkin. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney testing having guests bypass hotel check-in entirely in the near future. Going to the front-desk may become an exception handling process instead of mandatory...

CDavid

We don't have small kids, it's really not for us"

The implications of this viewpoint towards the Magic Kingdom are far more ominous than MM+, stale parks, or anything at Universal or outside the 'world'. If only someone could have foreseen the dangers of taking the easy, unimaginative way out and directing your efforts primarily at children.

You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.
Walt Disney

ABQ

I think it's two fold.. one, this will be your 'vacation planner' package that Disney has classically sent before your trip anyways. It's Disney's opportunity to remind you to book your stuff, etc... market to you.. etc. Second, you've seen Disney more more and more towards zero-interaction hotel checkin. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney testing having guests bypass hotel check-in entirely in the near future. Going to the front-desk may become an exception handling process instead of mandatory...
Further, you can use the band to check in and board the Magical Express @ MCO, if you're utilizing it.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I am honored to be quoted and feel like I have accomplished something for today. Now I have an excuse to have a few beers with lunch!:hungover: #day-drunk

Cheers, my furry-cat loving friend! (have one for me!)

The implications of this viewpoint towards the Magic Kingdom are far more ominous than MM+, stale parks, or anything at Universal or outside the 'world'. If only someone could have foreseen the dangers of taking the easy, unimaginative way out and directing your efforts primarily at children.

I agree. I was slightly taken back by her statement and the absolute nonchalant way she stated it. But it's true. Her children are grown (she's not a grandparent, though) and the vacation is for her and her husband- who has business meetings nearby a few days prior to the WDW stay.

I tried getting her take on the new expansion of MK but she brushed it off and changed the subject entirely. I didn't want to pursue it. Obviously, the "it's really not for us" was her way of dismissing the park in our conversation.

It was interesting to get the viewpoint of an occasional Disney fan- they've been several times, with several years between visits, and don't actively keep up on what's going on in the World. In fact her husband booked the Wilderness Lodge because he remembered seeing the name on a transport bus and it stuck. Until they booked, they weren't even aware of what it looked like or where it was located.

People like this couple should be Disney's focus- they have raised children, both have solidly good (and by my standards, fabulously great jobs that send them around the world for conferences, meetings, etc, and pick up the tabs) careers and have money to burn. Instead they're going after the young Moms and Dads. A mistake, IMHO.

Stevek

Spirited Late Night Musings:

So, Michael Eisner visits WDW and I have yet to hear confirmation that he had a vest (or three) or security (Michael isn't big on them like Bob is) with him, which offers a few interesting possibilities:

He just wanted to blend in and experience the product with his family without being hassled;
The company refused to provide him those services (highly unusual);
He'd rather just have fun with Tweets;

So I actually ran into Michael on Monday at the Paris Pavillion in Epcot. Said hello to him, no response. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't hear me. Was there with his wife eating ice cream, no plaids anywhere to be seen. Below is what I posted on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/DarthDopey/status/448173120298684416/photo/1

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom