The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

PhotoDave219

You should read through this thread a little bit. I've been defending Disney backwards and forwards over this move (I know a lot about Maker).

I just thought it ironic that at a time when creativity has been in a bit of a lull with the company, they go and buy a content creation company (I know, I know, the studio distributes it).

Im still trying to figure out the leggings part out....

jlsHouston

You should read through this thread a little bit. I've been defending Disney backwards and forwards over this move (I know a lot about Maker).

I just thought it ironic that at a time when creativity has been in a bit of a lull with the company, they go and buy a content creation company (I know, I know, the studio distributes it).

Yes you have.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Late Night Musings:

So, Michael Eisner visits WDW and I have yet to hear confirmation that he had a vest (or three) or security (Michael isn't big on them like Bob is) with him, which offers a few interesting possibilities:

He just wanted to blend in and experience the product with his family without being hassled;
The company refused to provide him those services (highly unusual);
He'd rather just have fun with Tweets;

OK, tinfoil hat time ... but where is the Disney copyright on the MAGIC Band boxes that were shipped to APers? I can't find one, which doesn't mean the NSA is paying for the project, but also makes you wonder why the boxes and packaging are so pricey. Again, this is the company that won't put printing on napkins anymore, that won't produce a glossy annual shareholders report, that is about as cheap as they come.

Haven't had one person explain to me why exactly Bob Iger spent another $500 million of company money.

Do you guys/gals see WDW operating monorails in a decade?

I am hearing distressing talk about DL being 'dirty' of late with some folks comparing its cleanliness (not upkeep) to the Paul Pressler years.

If you're wondering when that EPCOT30 merchandise is going to finally arrive at the Disney outlet stores, apparently that is now.

What can make a day better? Friends .. oh, and blueberry mojitos.

Do you want to know what bothers me most about today's WDC? OK, I don't care whether you do or not because I have the soapbox floor. What bothers me is that a company based on creating content that for decades has produced genuine emotions and feelings from their customers is so fake, condescending and smarmy today. It lies and spins when there is no reason, and it is incapable of answering any question that hasn't been vetted by PR and/or Legal. ... Walt would likely say the people running the descendent of his company were full of bull$hit, but he was a real person, he wasn't less life-like than a WDW AA.

rodserling27

Haven't had one person explain to me why exactly Bob Iger spent another $500 million of company money.
Great question. I often picture Bob Iger doing this.
make-it-rain-o.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
You mean to say you actually registered on My Disney Experience and ordered a MagicBand!?!? I never thought we would see the day of you partaking in such technologies.

On those discount cards - they are only temporary. The discount privilege will be linked to your account and accessible via band or rfid card - it is in development.

You are funny, Mr. MAGIC!!! :D

I registered with them MANY months ago. They already have an old-style filing cabinet (do any of you kids need an explanation as to what that is?) on me, my family and friends. Unless they are using MDE to try and 'sneak' a look into my electronic devices, which would be a giant waste, I knew I had little choice.

And, of course, I wanted my MAGIC band ... how can I talk about them in practice until I practice with one, right? But even if I have nothing but great experiences it will in no way change my opinion of the amount they spent and why. Bad capex.

I would hope that you can get discounts, but that should have all been programmed from Day 1. This is something that was approved five years ago and talked about years before. And they still don't have the basics covered.

PhotoDave219

You are funny, Mr. MAGIC!!! :D

I registered with them MANY months ago. They already have an old-style filing cabinet (do any of you kids need an explanation as to what that is?) on me, my family and friends. Unless they are using MDE to try and 'sneak' a look into my electronic devices, which would be a giant waste, I knew I had little choice.

And, of course, I wanted my MAGIC band ... how can I talk about them in practice until I practice with one, right? But even if I have nothing but great experiences it will in no way change my opinion of the amount they spent and why. Bad capex.

I would hope that you can get discounts, but that should have all been programmed from Day 1. This is something that was approved five years ago and talked about years before. And they still don't have the basics covered.

What do you expect from all the outsourcing?

Here's a fun question: How man years before they give up on the magicbands?

lazyboy97o

OK, tinfoil hat time ... but where is the Disney copyright on the MAGIC Band boxes that were shipped to APers? I can't find one, which doesn't mean the NSA is paying for the project, but also makes you wonder why the boxes and packaging are so pricey. Again, this is the company that won't put printing on napkins anymore, that won't produce a glossy annual shareholders report, that is about as cheap as they come.
Is it on the inside of the lid like with the Elastigirl box? Despite Disney's love of the ©, it is not mandatory and copyright is automatic. Copyright is also about content and would cover the design of the packaging or the industrial design of the MagicBand, but not the underlying technology that would interest a group like the NSA (funny that earlier it was the CIA). That would be covered by patents and even the lack of ones filed by Disney may not mean anything given the nature of using vendors and a lot of existing technologies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What do you expect from all the outsourcing?

Here's a fun question: How man years before they give up on the magicbands?

When they start surveying people and hear that they aren't coming back because of them or not visiting because of them coupled with bottom line hits that they can't cover with more cuts and serving stray kitty and calling it NY Strip!

GiveMeTheMusic

When they start surveying people and hear that they aren't coming back because of them or not visiting because of them coupled with bottom line hits that they can't cover with more cuts and serving stray kitty and calling it NY Strip!

Did you hear about the D23 member survey that went out yesterday? I kid you not, one of the proposed events is a D23 members only RunDisney race. They sure know their member base!

StageFrenzy

I have been unimpressed with the food for a while now, other than V&A.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is it on the inside of the lid like with the Elastigirl box?

Sorta. It's on the inside but blends in with the blue color.

Despite Disney's love of the ©, it is not mandatory and copyright is automatic. Copyright is also about content and would cover the design of the packaging or the industrial design of the MagicBand, but not the underlying technology that would interest a group like the NSA (funny that earlier it was the CIA). That would be covered by patents and even the lack of ones filed by Disney may not mean anything given the nature of using vendors and a lot of existing technologies.

I think you may be taking the comment a bit more seriously than I intended. ... As to government agencies, I do not like the NSA, CIA, FBI ... shall I go on? And the fact that Disney is in bed with organizations/contarctors whose main work lies with those people (evildoers?) does make me pause as to why that may be. After all, WDW isn't a great model of behavioral control as is, right? Just like the fact NGE is being run as a 'too big to fail' program where more money is constantly thrown at it versus any other Disney project I can think of where money is usually cut, cut, cut ... and cut some more. ... I don't know what the deal is with this, but I know there are plenty of questions that Disney doesn't want asked, no matter what the answers may be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom