The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have been unimpressed with the food for a while now, other than V&A.

I had some wonderful meals in the last year at WDW ... Artist Point, Flying Fish, Jiko, Captain's Grille all off the top of my head.

But the price points are absurd and, in many cases, obscene. Orlando isn't NYC, it isn't Paris, it isn't Tokyo, it isn't Los Angeles. You can get wonderful food for reasonable prices a few minutes away ... or over at UNI!

ParentsOf4

Do you want to know what bothers me most about today's WDC? OK, I don't care whether you do or not because I have the soapbox floor. What bothers me is that a company based on creating content that for decades has produced genuine emotions and feelings from their customers is so fake, condescending and smarmy today. It lies and spins when there is no reason, and it is incapable of answering any question that hasn't been vetted by PR and/or Legal. ... Walt would likely say the people running the descendent of his company were full of bull$hit, but he was a real person, he wasn't less life-like than a WDW AA.
The following reportedly was Michael Eisner's pitch that landed him the job as Disney CEO in 1984:

Companies like Disney are always founded by creative entrepreneurs, but eventually the founder dies or gets pushed out, or moves on to something else.

Inevitably the businesspeople take over - the managers - and they focus on preserving the vision that made the company great in the first place. They don't have any creative ideas themselves and they end up surrounding themselves instead with analysts and accountants to try to control the creative people and cut costs.

In the process, they discourage change and new initiatives and reinvention. In time, the company begins to ossify and atrophy and die.

It's important to have financial parameters and never to bet the house, which is how we always protected Paramount. But in a creative business you also have to be willing to take chances and even to fail sometimes, because otherwise nothing innovative is ever going to happen.

If you're only comfortable running a business by the numbers, I can understand that. But then you shouldn't get involved with a creatively driven company like Disney.​

Every time I learn about another one of CEO Bob Iger's content acquisitions, I think back to this quote and what Disney has been like since Iger took charge in 2005.

Who could have imagined that Eisner's words in 1984 would have been equally applicable to 2014?

It strikes me that despite his many personality flaws, the Michael Eisner of 1984 was the visionary leader that I've written WDW so desperately needs today to return to its greatness.

It strikes me that Eisner did, in his own way, play the role of Walt Disney while Frank Wells played the role of Roy Disney.

It strikes me that today's Disney has a manager, but no visionary.

It strikes me that Disney might never again have another miracle decade, the 10 years Eisner & Wells worked together.

How sad.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I was under the impression that those folks were contributors/contractors as opposed to direct employees.
Maker markets and with their big name youtubers, they fund their projects as well. The creators still are very much on their own and run their own operations, but Maker just helps them put forth a higher quality product.

Cesar R M

The defeat of net neutrality is a giant problem.

Individual Internet providers can charge more for you to have premium access to whatever particular content… And this is just beyond messed up.

Its kind of scary since it might probably break the entire internet.
The annoying part is how they start to point the finger at each other and force the big interconnectors to move the prices up on purpose.

Then by all means, Yoga Pants all the way.
And Hawaiian Shirts + Cowboy Hats?

Great question. I often picture Bob Iger doing this.
make-it-rain-o.gif

or something like this?

NoNwb64.gif

What do you expect from all the outsourcing?

Here's a fun question: How man years before they give up on the magicbands?
As long Iger's EGO is as big as Mount Everest?

I had some wonderful meals in the last year at WDW ... Artist Point, Flying Fish, Jiko, Captain's Grille all off the top of my head.

But the price points are absurd and, in many cases, obscene. Orlando isn't NYC, it isn't Paris, it isn't Tokyo, it isn't Los Angeles. You can get wonderful food for reasonable prices a few minutes away ... or over at UNI!
But you do not have the DISNEY(tm) Pixie Powered Memories(tm) on an outside restaurant!

WDW1974

Original Poster
It strikes me that despite his many personality flaws, the Michael Eisner of 1984 was the visionary leader that I've written WDW so desperately needs today to return to its greatness.

It strikes me that Eisner did, in his own way, play the role of Walt Disney while Frank Wells played the role of Roy Disney.

It strikes me that today's Disney has a Roy, but no Walt.

It strikes me that Disney might never again have another miracle decade, the 10 years Eisner & Wells worked together.

How sad.

Michael was a visionary. He had to be to grow the business the way he did (organically, his major acquisition was Cap Cities/ABC, which was a very natural outgrowth of already existing synergies. Sorry, sounded like a numbers guy there!)

Has Iger grown the business organically? Where is the home grown creativity (let's not all jump on one nice, but overrated animated film that had perfect timing!)? Where is Iger leaving a mark? By shrinking Disney's creative output and buying other BRANDS?

I don't really like the Walt/Roy comparison because it was so played out in the fan community 15 years ago. It also is giving Iger credit for being like Roy O. Disney, which I think is giving him FAR too much credit.

Next Big Thing

Here's a fun question: How man years before they give up on the magicbands?
MagicBands? It's possible those go away. Although they have a bunch of MB crap that they sell. MM+? I doubt that will ever go away completely. There's just too much that's been implemented (not all of it bad mind you).

StageFrenzy

I guess that’s my main problem with the food, it's just okay and every entree is grossly overpriced. The last meal would have been fine at 15 dollars but it was 30 so it made me feel like it wasn't worth it. It wasn't, I sent it back and had them take it off the bill.

Lee

Adventurer
Let's all take a moment to celebrate the fact @Lee hasn't even moved into his hillbilly mini-man... I mean cabin ... and he already isn't getting along with the neighbors. Way to go buddy. Same thing would happen to me!
The neighbor has been dealt with. I think he was a bit put off by the size of the moat...
Or perhaps it was all the signs stating that the area is "Being Refurbished For Your Future Enjoyment."

In any event, construction of the Manor continues apace.
:cool:

StageFrenzy

The neighbor has been dealt with. I think he was a bit put off by the size of the moat...
Or perhaps it was all the signs stating that the area is "Being Refurbished For Your Future Enjoyment."

In any event, construction of the Manor continues apace.
:cool:

Some witty quip about the size of moat, portcullis and looking out for Trojan horses.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Companies like Disney are always founded by creative entrepreneurs, but eventually the founder dies or gets pushed out, or moves on to something else.

With their CEO's Disney just seems to hang onto them a little to long. They come in with lots of steam, mark their territories but then they decay. They loose that vision, they stop listening to others that are talented, become petty little tyrants, micromanage what they don't know how to manage and start to self destruct.

We are seeing the implosion once again with all this full steam ahead, stop, abort. I'll never stop laughing at Hyperion Wharf but likely I'll be freak'n hysterical when they are finished dumping incredible amounts of money into Disney Springs. As if Disney Springs will stop the International Guests from visiting the Outlet Malls. :joyfull: The same type of misplaced logic that we "Moms" wanted a vacation of every moment planned, heck we get that for free at home. Or the rationale that Magic Bands would keep tourists put on Disney Property. hahaha Wonder who Iger is blaming for the high occupancy rate at Uni's new value resort this summer, he was so sure the Magical Band was the trump card. Fool.​

lazyboy97o

Sorta. It's on the inside but blends in with the blue color.

I think you may be taking the comment a bit more seriously than I intended. ... As to government agencies, I do not like the NSA, CIA, FBI ... shall I go on? And the fact that Disney is in bed with organizations/contarctors whose main work lies with those people (evildoers?) does make me pause as to why that may be. After all, WDW isn't a great model of behavioral control as is, right? Just like the fact NGE is being run as a 'too big to fail' program where more money is constantly thrown at it versus any other Disney project I can think of where money is usually cut, cut, cut ... and cut some more. ... I don't know what the deal is with this, but I know there are plenty of questions that Disney doesn't want asked, no matter what the answers may be.
The MagicBand is a lousy method for governments to practice wide scale surveillance. They require far too much dedicated infrastructure. Ridiculous over spending on vanity projects is nothing new at Disney. Iger has, since the beginning, tried to paint himself as Mr. Technology and he has mostly failed. Disney's web presence has only recently become acceptable, and even then is nothing exciting. Video games remain a mostly barren field. Keychest has only just seen a public debut 4+ years after being announced and changes in content distribution are being handled not in house, but by Apple and Netflix. Warner Bros. is able to offer on-demand DVDs of more obscure films and Disney with its foamers has still yet to monetize the dusty corners of the fabled Disney Vault. Mr. Technology has no interest in theme parks but MyMagic+ has become his last chance to fulfill that dream and also leave a lasting stamp on the Vacation Kingdom he has so long ignored. Vanity and groupthink offer far better explanations than a poorly considered government surveillance program.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The MagicBand is a lousy method for governments to practice wide scale surveillance. They require far too much dedicated infrastructure. Ridiculous over spending on vanity projects is nothing new at Disney. Iger has, since the beginning, tried to paint himself as Mr. Technology and he has mostly failed. Disney's web presence has only recently become acceptable, and even then is nothing exciting. Video games remain a mostly barren field. Keychest has only just seen a public debut 4+ years after being announced and changes in content distribution are being handled not in house, but by Apple and Netflix. Warner Bros. is able to offer on-demand DVDs of more obscure films and Disney with its foamers has still yet to monetize the dusty corners of the fabled Disney Vault. Mr. Technology has no interest in theme parks but MyMagic+ has become his last chance to fulfill that dream and also leave a lasting stamp on the Vacation Kingdom he has so long ignored. Vanity and groupthink offer far better explanations than a poorly considered government surveillance program.
I have never found what I was trying to find when using Disney's search engine. I have a hard time picking out another corporation that has such a poor website. I'm still less than impressed with MDE and their idea of tech support is beyond laughable. Could be why Disney is still referring to MDE as being in the testing phase allthewhile it has been fully rolled out for all intenive purposes.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
The Trojan horse was not from Troy? So I guess be more afraid of the Spartans even though it was an Athenian who thought up the idea. Then the Athenian created a small restaurant on the water that was shuttered to make way for "event space".
What did he just say?

SirLink

I was under the impression that those folks were contributors/contractors as opposed to direct employees.

Correct and the channels on their network are paid 1000 views per video and some are 1000 Ad-clicks per video as well ... and most channels are managed( so they can get around the Youtube automatic copyright system)oh and they can easily switch to another MCN.

Thinking about it more unless Disney thinks blip.tv is next Youtube(HINT: It isn't) a better purchase would be buy Hulu - and create a Disney subscription service for all the movies and TV content.

Sped2424

The platform is YouTube and it was already open to Disney. The platform was even used to a bit of success by the Muppets a few years back.
Exactly^ The whole point of youtube is anyone can create content, and content that makes money is relatively cheap. It would be much easier to put a bunch of youtube viral video's out there and then perhaps get some youtube stars in the making a contract. Either way there was literally no need to spend 500 to 985 million on this whole thing at all. Disney has more than enough creative content to use and make platforms out of on youtube. It's just a joke a this point.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom