The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

BrianLo

Saw the RCCL's Majesty of the Seas leaving Miami yesterday. Boy, does that look like an old tug compared to today's modern ships.

Our family took our first cruise on that ship about 5-6 years ago, it was great!! But... having more of a cruising pallet (including Allure), I would be a little more discerning these days. Alas, I'm sure it's on its way out very soon. The two sister ships have since been sold off.

PhotoDave219

Reality does kind of smack you in the face when you realize Disney just bought a content creation company, doesn't it? Where has the creativity gone?

They bought content distribution… Not content itself.

I think it's a good move and a bit ahead of its time. It will be a trendsetting move… while other companies look to purchase some more studios that are popular on YouTube.

It's another platform for Disney to put its own content on. Think about that for a little bit.

lazyboy97o

I think it's a good move and a bit ahead of its time. It will be a trendsetting move… while other companies look to purchase some more studios that are popular on YouTube.

It's another platform for Disney to put its own content on. Think about that for a little bit.
The platform is YouTube and it was already open to Disney. The platform was even used to a bit of success by the Muppets a few years back.

PhotoDave219

The part I'm still having trouble understanding is why they need Maker Studios to do that. If I can put a video up on Youtube for less than $500 million, Disney should be able to do even better. What does this purchase give them which couldn't have been done anyway?

Branding.

That's what this current batch of executives is all about. A brand.

Just remember, the kind of corporate performance they expect out of the theme parks, they will expect out of that channel. They will expect the profit margin.

I view it as kind of a touchstone films but on YouTube. It will allow just need to compete in the online marketplace without having to put it under their own brand. Meaning you can make dick and fart jokes and get away with it…

lazyboy97o

Branding.

That's what this current batch of executives is all about. A brand.

Just remember, the kind of corporate performance they expect out of the theme parks, they will expect out of that channel. They will expect the profit margin.

I view it as kind of a touchstone films but on YouTube. It will allow just need to compete in the online marketplace without having to put it under their own brand. Meaning you can make dick and fart jokes and get away with it…
But Disney has really moved away from that sort of diverse portfolio. The films remain untouched, but Marvel has ramped up their efforts in appealing to young boys who were not their traditional audience. Disney will likely not understand the audience and just fall back to what they already know, the easy audience of young children.

WDWFigment

The Maker Studios acquisition seems like a talent grab acquisition, in large part.

If Disney wants to make a big play in this realm, that's not such a bad idea. We've all seen what Disney has done recently in terms of tech (albeit dramatically different tech, but I don't think Disney in house has recently been a tech pioneer in any space).

Last edited:

rodserling27

You mean to say you actually registered on My Disney Experience and ordered a MagicBand!?!? I never thought we would see the day of you partaking in such technologies.

On those discount cards - they are only temporary. The discount privilege will be linked to your account and accessible via band or rfid card - it is in development.

NICE! Excellent, that's good to hear. Glad they didn't miss the ball on that one!

Cesar R M

And look how the circle has come around again as when AT&T bloomed into the cable TV industry, AT&T Broadband was sold to who? Comcast.
Its like they want to let them try to have total monopoly again and again and hope some lawmaker can be lobbied to let them do it.

Among Maker Studios's other assets is Blip.tv, home of the Nostalgia Critic and the whole ThatGuyWithTheGlasses empire, so there's that now.
I love nostalgia critic!.

You mean to say you actually registered on My Disney Experience and ordered a MagicBand!?!? I never thought we would see the day of you partaking in such technologies.

On those discount cards - they are only temporary. The discount privilege will be linked to your account and accessible via band or rfid card - it is in development.
Well, do people have a choice now on the magicbands?
arent they enforced now?

I totally rock my leggings too! :D I agree, as long as you have a top long enough. I wasn't aware I looked like a prostitute and a :confused:
Let's hope this talk doesn't devolve into the "She was asking for it!" or other dumb excuses to assault a lady.

Update from my MDE issues. I called again last night and actually got disconnected midway through the call and they called me back. Having said that, the only thing Disney is doing is deleting the account I want deleted. They are unable to move any content, I am doing that all myself. If things weren't expiring or if I had an annual pass, they wouldn't be able to help with that. I don't view this is them helping me, I view this as them doing the bare minimum to help their guests.
I'm pretty sure that at this point.. they either DO NOT KNOW how to merge such accounts, or they do not want to risk database poisoning. (aka it would require direct database editing)

PhotoDave219

Their latest acquisition will give the some leverage on their next. Being the dominant internet provider to 24 of the top 25 U.S. media markets will get Netflicks attention. Particularly with out net neutrality.

The defeat of net neutrality is a giant problem.

Individual Internet providers can charge more for you to have premium access to whatever particular content… And this is just beyond messed up.

jlsHouston

The Maker Studios acquisition seems like a talent grab acquisition, in large part.

If Disney wants to make a big play in this realm, that's not such a bad idea. We've all seen what Disney has done recently in terms of tech (albeit dramatically different tech, but I don't think Disney in house has recently been a tech pioneer in any space).

I think it was a way for the venture capitalists to get their cash back. Somebody must know somebody.

Next Big Thing

You should read through this thread a little bit. I've been defending Disney backwards and forwards over this move (I know a lot about Maker).

I just thought it ironic that at a time when creativity has been in a bit of a lull with the company, they go and buy a content creation company (I know, I know, the studio distributes it).

PhotoDave219

I was under the impression that those folks were contributors/contractors as opposed to direct employees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom