The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

PhotoDave219

If someone from this board from the glorious days of the 1990's were teleported in a time machine to today, their reactions would be "What kind of Disney dystopia am I?"

Its Societal. Its business. Its not just Disney - Disney is more a microcosm of what the business world has become.

Businesses are just one big giant glory [....Oh Yeah, I'm making this comparison...] hole for wall street and theyre servicing their obligations. Everyone does it. Just what the world has become. Looking back, Maybe those occupy wall street kids had a point?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Current Wait time? Seems like the app still needs some work. Stopped being amusing already.

BjdEptZIIAEXZc0.jpg

dave holland

PeterAlt

Its Societal. Its business. Its not just Disney - Disney is more a microcosm of what the business world has become.

Businesses are just one big giant glory [....Oh Yeah, I'm making this comparison...] hole for wall street and theyre servicing their obligations. Everyone does it. Just what the world has become. Looking back, Maybe those occupy wall street kids had a point?
The whole type of capitalism has changed that's borderline the economics of fascism, in my opinion. Companies have become machines of maximum profit efficiencies, rather than how it was - maximum rewards for the companies that best compete in terms of product or service quality, price, innovation, etc.

There are still some companies that operate with the old ways of doing business. Apple and Google are among them.

Cesar R M

I know! This is what I've been trying to explain. It goes completely against conventional wisdom on these boards. Yes... Essentially WDI is its own client. Essentially WDI tells the resort management teams what they will build and what they can have.

Sounds insane. Yes. Don't believe me?

Read closely, pre-development is a Division of Walt Disney Imagineering:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25348&siteid=5039&jobid=160526

Sounds almost as bad as our Congress(Mexico's) lol ;)

Correct.
Think of it like a movie studio. WDI pitches projects that are either approved or (most often) not.

Very accurate.
Tons of waste on every project.
Well, their job is to design and invent right? They can be pulling things left and right and just to be told "no.. no.. no" again and again.. piling research/design costs upwards.

I think it's time to stop the political rants and get back to discussing WDW. Or lifestylers. Or parking. ;)
gQRnLgf.jpg

Sorry, couldnt resist!

Of course he would have - but the present day WDI doesn't reflect the basic and timeless Disney ideals in the slightest, and that's evident in the majority of the work they do. They're still able to do great work, but it's become more and more rare as the truly creative types are drowned out or pushed out altogether.

If Walt were still alive he would have abandoned his supervision of theme parks by now, I would imagine. I think would have moved on to something bigger and more interesting to him, like Epcot.
Imho, pretty sure Walt would have gone farther, maybe imagined 3d internet technologies or even putting a huge stake of money to expand virgin Galactic.

I always feel uncomfortable when someone speaks for someone else who has been dead for 50 years but ...

Walt Disney seemed to enjoy technology. I suspect he might have embraced technological advances.

Socially, each person reacts to change differently and, had he magically lived to be 110 years old, I don't think it's possible to say one way or another how Walt's views would have evolved over the last 50 years.

It's unrealistic to take someone's mindset from years ago and instantly transport it to another time. We do not live in isolation; we are products of our times. In order to know what each of us would be like today, it's necessary for us to have experienced the events that led up to today, and each of us reacts in different and sometimes surprising ways.

Walt is no different and we have no way of knowing how events of the last 50 years might have shaped Walt's thinking.

I will leave you with a few Walt Disney quotes to consider:

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right."

"I function better when things are going badly than when they're as smooth as whipped cream."

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."

agree with you!

Current Wait time? Seems like the app still needs some work. Stopped being amusing already.

BjdEptZIIAEXZc0.jpg

dave holland
They must be moving at LUDICROUS SPEED inside to have a negative wait time.

PeterAlt

gQRnLgf.jpg

Sorry, couldnt resist!
Look into that cat's eyes. You can see that there's activity going on upstairs. Cats are wayyyyy more intelligent than we give them credit for! My cats consistently surprise me with their intellect!

Any way, I know this isn't a cat forum but I had to say that when I saw that pic...

EDIT - I removed the tasteless flight MH370 reference. My apologies go out to those who I offended.

Last edited:

Absimilliard

Disney University/Institute is providing facilities and lodging to train new flight attendants for the off shoot of a major north american airline. That is one way to use empty convention centers and fill up rooms!

jlsHouston

Of course they did. Wall Street has destroyed American values, the middle class, and our economy more than once.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Of course they did. Wall Street has destroyed American values, the middle class, and our economy more than once.
I think Americans have done more to destroy American values than Wall street. We are the ones that vote (or don't vote) do business with ( or don't do business with), decide to do the right thing or don't do the right thing. Wall Street is simply a barometer of what we as a nation has become.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney University/Institute is providing facilities and lodging to train new flight attendants for the off shoot of a major north american airline. That is one way to use empty convention centers and fill up rooms!

Or stuff the trainees into college program housing. :joyfull:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think Americans have done more to destroy American values than Wall street. We are the ones that vote (or don't vote) do business with ( or don't do business with), decide to do the right thing or don't do the right thing. Wall Street is simply a barometer of what we as a nation has become.

To an extent I agree but the average american can do nothing to stop mega-mergers, the buying of companies to auction off the bits and pieces both activities reduce competition and destroy jobs, Depending on the RUSSIANS to produce the engines for the ATLAS 5 rocket which launches military satellites.

That's supposed to BE DC's job to keep stuff like this under control but Wall st bought both sides of the aisle and as a result we are all poorer and less secure.

As for choices - when the big box stores move in and force all the small vendors out of business - where is the CHOICE in where to shop, Yes people shop at the big box stores because they THINK they are cheaper and on a few loss leaders they are. Then the Wall St fueled big box goes out of business and nothing but desolation is left in its wake.

Lee

Adventurer
Essentially WDI tells the resort management teams what they will build and what they can have.
Well....no. Not really.
WDI has some input (Usually. Hello, Avatar.) but they are not the ones making those decisions.

As that job description explains, they are one part of the team that steers the development of the resorts, but that's as far as it goes. In the end, Burbank (with usually some input from TDO or TDA) makes the final decision and orders an attraction from WDI. Often with years passing by between initial pitch and green light, and just as often with a budget well below what had been requested. (That's how we end up with coffee table books full of awesome, yet unbuilt, rides.)

Sounds like WDI has an overly complex process that is part of their culture. Hard to change when so protected.
Oh, man.....do they ever. It reminds me of the $500 government hammers, or the multi-million dollar studies on the thickness of ketchup.

Imagine...
WDI 1: "Boy, these numbers for Everest are getting high. That's a lot of money! Where's it all going?"
WDI 2: "Beats me. Ask Joe."
WDI 1: "Yeah, I think I will. Where is he?"
WDI 2: "Oh, he took about thirty folks to wander about in Tibet and Nepal for a few weeks. Research trip."
WDI 1: "Ok, that makes sense."

Goofyernmost

Concerning flight MH370, I have a Disney-related comment to make. The lack of any real news is a feeling all of us here at wdwmagic.com should be very familiar with. Now, the rest of the World can understand our feelings as day after day passes without any real WDW news or announcement...
Peter, Peter, Peter... you know for some reason I think that you really believe that families waiting to hear about what happened to their loved ones (which will probably be tragic) is the same thing as waiting to hear what Disney is going to build next in a theme park.

If this is another of your famous..."well, I just thought that everyone would know that I was kidding" posts, then you are not off the hook. In fact, satire on this subject is even worse. You can do better then this Peter!

tissandtully

Look into that cat's eyes. You can see that there's activity going on upstairs. Cats are wayyyyy more intelligent than we give them credit for! My cats consistently surprise me with their intellect!

Any way, I know this isn't a cat forum but I had to say that when I saw that pic...

Concerning flight MH370, I have a Disney-related comment to make. The lack of any real news is a feeling all of us here at wdwmagic.com should be very familiar with. Now, the rest of the World can understand our feelings as day after day passes without any real WDW news or announcement...

Peter, please go back to talking about monorail conspiracy theories. Geez.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

OT check out the book 'Do Cats Think?' book posits that they do and I agree based on decades of experience with cats.

ParkMan73

To an extent I agree but the average american can do nothing to stop mega-mergers, the buying of companies to auction off the bits and pieces both activities reduce competition and destroy jobs, Depending on the RUSSIANS to produce the engines for the ATLAS 5 rocket which launches military satellites.

That's supposed to BE DC's job to keep stuff like this under control but Wall st bought both sides of the aisle and as a result we are all poorer and less secure.

As for choices - when the big box stores move in and force all the small vendors out of business - where is the CHOICE in where to shop, Yes people shop at the big box stores because they THINK they are cheaper and on a few loss leaders they are. Then the Wall St fueled big box goes out of business and nothing but desolation is left in its wake.

The average American can do nothing to stop it directly. However, the average American fuels this. The big box stores force the small vendors out of business because American shop there.

Wall Street focuses so heavily on stock return because we are all so excited when our retirement accounts do well. So, as a result, the companies are driven to focus on stock return too. The directors of these companies are then focused on stock gains which comes from solid financial metrics & growth. The directors then write compensation plans for executives that reward financial results. So, then Iger focus on that.

The reality is that these macro trends are the result of the little decisions we make every day. We may not like that, but it is true.

What deep down I hope for is some leadership - true leadership. I think that was Walt. I want to see someone come along and say - "The path the financial success is through product quality".

Funmeister

Did you really compare waiting to hear about a tragic plane crash to the lack of Disney news? You need help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom