The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

TP2000

I want to say 1982-ish off the top of my head. Certainly early 80s.

As I remember it, General Electric stopped its sponsorship of Carousel of Progress in 1983 just after Horizons, Presented by General Electric opened at EPCOT Center. Maybe there was a period of time in late '83 or early '84 when both locations had the GE logo on it, but that didn't last long.

The Carousel of Progress was a GE ride in 1964-65 at the World's Fair. Then from 1967 to 1973 at Disneyland. Then from 1974 to 1983 at WDW.

The whole thing was basically a giant commercial to sell toaster ovens and dishwashers and pump up the American consumer economy of the late 20th century, but it was done so charmingly by Walt Disney's staff that no one really remembers it that way.

Act IV at Disneyland, 1967 - Look at all that GE loot!
COP12.jpg

Soarin' Over Pgh

The block button might be called for.

Unfortunately, I think you're very right about this, Dave. I really don't like using it but sometimes it needs to ...to keep ones sanity.

Does anyone gave any word on Epcots repaint...is it limited to one building or the whole of FW? Can we expect anything else coming... Is this the super secret project that's been mumbled about before?

aladdin2007

Hard to say since it's hard to define a typical situation.
On average, from the decision to begin the conceptual phase to green light, I'd say it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple dozen approvals and about three years.

Is Kathy Mangum still on board here in FL? They had moved her here awhile back to be the head projects or something like that title.

TP2000

Personally, I am very offended by WDW's 50th anniversary of IASW campaign. What are they celebrating? Not their version because (a) it's not 50 years old and (b) it's a poor Cliff Notes version of the original that's in bad shape.

If they're not going to rebuilt it in the spirit of the original version, anything else they do in this "celebration" is just highly offensive and disrespectful, in my point of view.

No kidding. This same thing played out in '05 for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary that was taken company-wide. What bugs me about this is that there are too many stupid people out there, and if '05 is an indication too many stupid Cast Members, who will think that the it's a small world ride in Magic Kingdom Park is now 50 years old. It's 42. And technically the one at Disneyland is 48.

Sea World is going down the same path this year, by celebrating company-wide the "50th Anniversary of Sea World!" at all three of their parks. The original Sea World in San Diego (the only Sea World actually built on the ocean!) opened March 21st, 1964 and just turned 50 last week. The park in Orlando was the third park built, and it's currently 39 years old. The Sea World in Cleveland that closed 15 years ago was the second park built before the Orlando clone. But I would bet a bucket of fish for the seal tank that there are Sea World visitors AND employees in Orlando who think that cloned park sixty miles inland is 50 years old. Idiots. :rolleyes:

I'm baffled why Disney has jumped on this Small World 50th campaign. It must be a marketing thing to pump some petty change into a UNICEF fund to satisfy corporate governance requirements for charity, and get some cheesy air time on The View and Good Morning America this spring since there's no new ride open for Spring Break this year. Whatever.

For the record... it's a small world first opened in April, 1964 at the New York World's Fair. In November, 1965 the interior sets were moved to Disneyland and installed in an all-new and larger building for the ride built in Fantasyland. The Disneyland version of Small World, with added scenes and about 5 additional minutes of ride time, opened in May, 1966 and was the last attraction opening attended by Walt Disney himself before he died in December, 1966.

Walt Disney rides it's a small world on opening day at Disneyland, May 25th, 1966. Thanks Walt!
4df1b55e171aa5e88c1baa1764accc3e.jpg

novawildcat18

No kidding. This same thing played out in '05 for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary that was taken company-wide. What bugs me about this is that there are too many stupid people out there, and if '05 is an indication too many stupid Cast Members, who will think that the it's a small world ride in Magic Kingdom Park is now 50 years old. It's 42. And technically the one at Disneyland is 48.

Sea World is going down the same path this year, by celebrating company-wide the "50th Anniversary of Sea World!" at all three of their parks. The original Sea World in San Diego (the only Sea World actually built on the ocean!) opened March 21st, 1964 and just turned 50 last week. The park in Orlando was the third park built, and it's currently 39 years old. The Sea World in Cleveland that closed 15 years ago was the second park built before the Orlando clone. But I would bet a bucket of fish for the seal tank that there are Sea World visitors AND employees in Orlando who think that cloned park sixty miles inland is 50 years old. Idiots. :rolleyes:

I'm baffled why Disney has jumped on this Small World 50th campaign. It must be a marketing thing to pump some petty change into a UNICEF fund to satisfy corporate governance requirements for charity, and get some cheesy air time on The View and Good Morning America this spring since there's no new ride open for Spring Break this year. Whatever.

For the record... it's a small world first opened in April, 1964 at the New York World's Fair. In November, 1965 the interior sets were moved to Disneyland and installed in an all-new and larger building for the ride built in Fantasyland. The Disneyland version of Small World, with added scenes and about 5 additional minutes of ride time, opened in May, 1966 and was the last attraction opening attended by Walt Disney himself before he died in December, 1966.

Walt Disney rides it's a small world on opening day at Disneyland, May 25th, 1966. Thanks Walt!
Kid in the bottom right's face is my face everytime I go on this ride.... I understand and appreciate the history, but this campaign is not making me want to go to WDW and hop on this ride.

FigmentJedi

Last edited:

Cody5242

Having just watched The Lone Ranger, if the whole film had been as good as the train scene at the end, it would have done fine.

Still, a film that I would watch again, and I would rather watch The Lone Ranger 2 than Pirates of the Caribbean 5...
The Lone Ranger was an awesome movie but fell under the "love to hate" category due to the high budget

novawildcat18

Having just watched The Lone Ranger, if the whole film had been as good as the train scene at the end, it would have done fine.

Still, a film that I would watch again, and I would rather watch The Lone Ranger 2 than Pirates of the Caribbean 5...
Agreed. I highly enjoyed that movie (especially the last 20 minutes) and I was saddened to find out how much ire it was receiving from both critics and audiences. It was a fun summer blockbuster, I'm surprised it wasn't received as such.

PeterAlt

Thanks for the ultra cool post!

Just wondering...

I know Eisner continued that tradition and rode every new Disney attraction to officially open it (or send it back to WDI for additional work if he wasn't satisfied). Does Iger do the same?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom