The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

....So.... the advertisement (bottom of screen, all morning) for the it's a small world 50th anniversary is awfully cute.

Attachments

• iasw.jpg
    iasw.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 75

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The average American can do nothing to stop it directly. However, the average American fuels this. The big box stores force the small vendors out of business because American shop there.

Wall Street focuses so heavily on stock return because we are all so excited when our retirement accounts do well. So, as a result, the companies are driven to focus on stock return too. The directors of these companies are then focused on stock gains which comes from solid financial metrics & growth. The directors then write compensation plans for executives that reward financial results. So, then Iger focus on that.

The reality is that these macro trends are the result of the little decisions we make every day. We may not like that, but it is true.

What deep down I hope for is some leadership - true leadership. I think that was Walt. I want to see someone come along and say - "The path the financial success is through product quality".

I don't want to get back into the political but I think the outsized 'financialization' of our economy has had more influence than individual buying choices, I tend to shop local unless I cannot source it locally - then it's Amazon who more and more is serving as a commerce portal for small companies which gives them a global reach without the need for logistics.

We are working a hobby farm to assist on the eat local side, we are concentrating on bees/fruit/wool - Right now snacking on dried vacuum packed apples that we picked and processed ourselves.

Back to the topic at hand P&R had at its peak a 20-24% operating margin when maintenance was an obsession and workers were well paid relative to other workers.

Now under Wall St Iger - without his FF&E cuts and price increases. Operating margin may have fallen under 10% - I think that's a indictment of our current way of managing companies.

I think @ParentsOf4 analysis proves that quality does produce superior financial returns

The Crafty Veteran

@Lee, may I ask if you know how many steps does it take before, say a new ride comes to be? I've read about Splash Moutain being approved because Eisner liked a toy model of it, but I would assume that's rare now, how many people touch a proposal before it gets a green light?

CDavid

And we don't know if it crashed. It could have been sucked into a super vortex black hole or carried on board a super alien mother ship for all we know...

No, it wasn't. But innocent people died, and they were someone's children, parents, family, and friends. Death is not something you make fun of, you don't play around with it, and neither is the loss of a human life in any way comparable to news from Disney or anything else.

PeterAlt

No, it wasn't. But innocent people died, and they were someone's children, parents, family, and friends. Death is not something you make fun of, you don't play around with it, and neither is the loss of a human life in any way comparable to news from Disney or anything else.
I wasn't making a joke about them. I was joking about our agony. It was in bad taste and I apologize for posting!
EDIT - I was making fun of my agony over no news. I used a tasteless example, like Gilbert Godfrey did that one day when he was fired from Aflack when he made that joke about the Japanese tsunami. In his case, that truly was tasteless because he was making a joke about the victims. I was making a joke about us, implying that we are the victims who are "dying" for news. It was still tasteless and I apologize.

I went back to that post and removed the tasteless reference. I had no idea when I posted very late last night at an Irish pub and after drinking a few mugs Guinness that that comment would have caused the reaction it did.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

....So.... the advertisement (bottom of screen, all morning) for the it's a small world 50th anniversary is awfully cute.
Personally, I am very offended by WDW's 50th anniversary of IASW campaign. What are they celebrating? Not their version because (a) it's not 50 years old and (b) it's a poor Cliff Notes version of the original that's in bad shape.

If they're not going to rebuilt it in the spirit of the original version, anything else they do in this "celebration" is just highly offensive and disrespectful, in my point of view.

Disclaimer: This is my point of view and it does not represent the view points of the majority here.

Lee

Adventurer
@Lee, may I ask if you know how many steps does it take before, say a new ride comes to be? I've read about Splash Moutain being approved because Eisner liked a toy model of it, but I would assume that's rare now, how many people touch a proposal before it gets a green light?
Hard to say since it's hard to define a typical situation.
On average, from the decision to begin the conceptual phase to green light, I'd say it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple dozen approvals and about three years.

Cesar R M

Creepy lifestylers stalking Michael Eisner are creepy
something along the lines of "the stalker" ?
Xxb4vul.png

Hard to say since it's hard to define a typical situation.
On average, from the decision to begin the conceptual phase to green light, I'd say it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple dozen approvals and about three years.

Imho.. wouldn't they have to pass the "pennies and dollars" accountants before being fully approved?
I wouldn't be surprised if they had to pass several layers of managers before they get the full GO AHEAD.

like HOW MUCH IT COST?
HOW MUCH BENEFIT WILL IT GIVE?
WILL IT ATTRACT PEOPLE?
WILL IT LOOK GOOD IN TV, PHOTOS AND INTERNET?
HOW LONG THE APPEAL MIGHT LAST?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom