The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Longhairbear

On the dumb fanboi nostalgia deal, found out a while ago that a group is attempting to restart Eastern Airlines, which sorta bothers me because my greatest professional regret (here's some real Spirited inside info) is that I was not able to purchase the rights to Pan Am when they were available, but also bothers me because 24-year-old snot-nosed kids who NEVER rode If You Had Wings and NEVER actually sat on an Eastern 727 or L-1011 will likely all want Eastern ephemera (did I just give the crazy @EPCOT Explorer a whole new line of stuff to spend $$$ on?)

It is like the difference between reading about something and actually living it ... and it really grates on me.
My parents always used Eastern Airlines to take the family to FLA. That was before WDW was built. And we dressed up, and got fed pretty decent lunches, or dinners. We flew on their "Whisper Jets".

rodserling27

Still not clear on who/what an Olaf is. A cartoon thing?
Olaf is the snowman/comedic relief character in "Frozen." Some people don't like him, but I actually found him quite entertaining!
tumblr_mpwxtfxl7A1ry7whco1_400.png

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Perhaps someone can clarify for me, all these names being dropped in this thread, am I supposed to be impressed? Ive heard of Marvel, and know its some sort of comic that was favoured by the class loners of my youff, but some of the other stuff and people. Havent a clue. And surprisingly my life is none the worse for that.

The Mom

Premium Member
Have you been back to the Olympic site in Beijing? It's sad how dilapidated they've let the place get. Also there is a "lovely" water park in the cube.

Now the Canadian in me has to vehemently disagree with all of the above. I'm sure the Brits will join me in this one too. ;)

Letting Olympic sites "go to seed" happens all over, including the US. Had a chance to spend some time at the Atlanta 96 Olympics rowing venue a couple of years ago, and it looked pretty shabby and rundown.

The Mom

Premium Member
My parents always used Eastern Airlines to take the family to FLA. That was before WDW was built. And we dressed up, and got fed pretty decent lunches, or dinners. We flew on their "Whisper Jets".

Took my first flight ever on a Whisperjet, and also flew on one to get to our honeymoon destination. Back in those days, you got pretty decent meals on all airlines.

Of course, the tickets were about the same price then as now - but incomes weren't. ;)

asianway

Spirited Olympic Musings:

OK, this isn't going to be about the Games in Sochi. I just don't have much of an interest in winter sports to begin with and, this can sound snobby and elitist, but as someone who helped bring the 2008 Games in Beijing to reality, I just don't believe any games will ever compare.

First, apologies to the folks I owe notes to. I have read them all and will try and answer them before the weekend is out.

Lots of snow in Japan of late. A friend of mine is a frequent visitor as local and Tweeter of TDR and has some nice pics at @dreamsweetslove on twitter (and she apparently has an account here that I wasn't aware of!) ... I was kinda hoping for something like that in Paris, but am now glad we didn't have that.

It would appear Disney has done another pruning of social media whores, but not enough to catch my attention ... it also would appear that a social media ***** started the whole 'PUSH is being trashed by Disney' insanity of late.

No, I don't have any info regarding what may have gone down at Flower Street. My strong hunch is that it was a day of decisions and pitching and someone(s) wanted attention in the fan community. They got some, but not very much.

I'd still like to know what the deal is with the changing on a daily basis DLR rehab calendar as I do have a visit coming up and would like to know what will be open and what will 'ruin' my MAGICal vacation.

Judging by all the lifestylers who have cruised with Disney in the past 2-3 weeks, I am convinced those discounts were pretty substantial!

So, Alain Littaye of the Disney and More blog has stated that the Paramount Park for Spain is on again and Micechat picked up his column: http://micechat.com/57201-paramount-park-in-spain-finally-gets-the-green-light/ ... while I'd love to see it, I still have doubts and will until I see the place open.

I have never been a big Jay Leno fan, but he was a class act and went out like one. After switching from Dave to the other Jimmy not all that long ago, I don't see myself switching to Fallon but he's likeable and all (even if he does hide the fact he is quite bald!)

I keep hearing about how big Marvel merchandise is and why it is an important part of Disney buying the company, yet at DLP I saw ONE piece of Marvel merchandise at the entire resort (a Spidey comic book iPad cover). I have repeatedly said that after seeing lots of it 2-3 years ago at WDW that I never see any of it outside of the toy store and vinyl stores at DD. So I'm guessing all that money is based on other retailers selling it then?

I find it bizarre and a little weird how some fanbois only consider something Disney if it came during Walt's time or comes out under the Disney banner. Sorry, but Muppets to Marvel, Pixar to Lucas are all Disney now and you just have to put your big boy panties on and deal with it. Believe me, I am not a big fan of Marvel.

Sad to hear that the Eddie Sotto designed Encounter Restaurant at LAX has shuttered. I haven't been in years, but used to be a regular and loved the food, views and kewl design elements that made me think the 1960s jet age still existed beyond a parked TWA 747-100 in the Arizona desert.

Am I the only one who is starting to think the Poly DVC is really going to be another done on the cheap monorail resort add?

I'm sorry for any feelings I hurt (no, I'm not but Momma always taught me manners), but if you never visited WDW in the 20th century than your opinion on the relative quality of it today just doesn't count for much at all to me.

To the idiots in the Twitverse, you know that I'm talking about you!, who have issues that NGE is now a $2 billion plus boondoggle, deal with it. That is the reality. If you just pay attention to what Disney has admitted spending and reallocating, you are only a few hundred million from there to start ... just think about it.

Yes, I am going to get back to discussing Disney in Europe and comparing/contrasting DLP with WDW and how the BRAND is marketed. I'm not sure when, but soon hopefully!

Is the pin deal at WDW finally over?
On the subject of PUSH...how can a lifestyle racket afford to have 6 people on the payroll? Cuz if there's that much money to be made I want in.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On the dumb fanboi nostalgia deal, found out a while ago that a group is attempting to restart Eastern Airlines, which sorta bothers me because my greatest professional regret (here's some real Spirited inside info) is that I was not able to purchase the rights to Pan Am when they were available, but also bothers me because 24-year-old snot-nosed kids who NEVER rode If You Had Wings and NEVER actually sat on an Eastern 727 or L-1011 will likely all want Eastern ephemera (did I just give the crazy @EPCOT Explorer a whole new line of stuff to spend $$$ on?)

It is like the difference between reading about something and actually living it ... and it really grates on me.

I sure Spirit you would have put the Pan Am rights to better use than Dave Fink, Currently the turboprops are parked on the ramp at CON and we have 35 year old EMD SD40's with Pan Am logos, I'm sure Juan Trippe is spinning in his grave about now.

I also invite you @WDW1974 for food and libations if we are ever in the worlds together OR if you are ever in Silicon Valley a evening at Birks Steakhouse is in store.

NearTheEars

The second most annoying character since Jar-Jar Binks

I thought Jar Jar was hilarious, but alas I was a kid when it came out and was really never exposed to Star Wars before seeing episode 1. A little older now I can see why people hated him.

Olaf though, even as an adult, I love him. He was great and managed not to take over the movie. He just added some comic relief. Kids love him. And afterall, it's a family movie.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I thought Jar Jar was hilarious, but alas I was a kid when it came out and was really never exposed to Star Wars before seeing episode 1. A little older now I can see why people hated him.

Olaf though, even as an adult, I love him. He was great and managed not to take over the movie. He just added some comic relief. Kids love him. And afterall, it's a family movie.

Fair enough - I'm tired of these so called comic relief characters who are way overused Olaf, Binks, Mushu, list goes on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I will have you know the vast majority of the world Disagrees with you.

That's probably true, I'm just tired of so called 'comic relief', running gags are fun but a goofball character who keeps popping up is way overused in too many movies. I've seen Frozen a couple of times and it's the best thing to come out of Disney for a long time but in MY opinion Olaf was overused.

Funmeister's Delight

That's probably true, I'm just tired of so called 'comic relief', running gags are fun but a goofball character who keeps popping up is way overused in too many movies. I've seen Frozen a couple of times and it's the best thing to come out Disney for a long time but in MY opinion Olaf was overused.
Agree to disagree. I think Olaf is the best written comic relief character in a Disney film in ages. The way the character actually has a purpose and is tied in with the mythology of the story is a example of how to do comic relief properly. It's because of how well a majority of the elements of the film were handled I went and saw the film 8 times in theaters.

Cody5242

Agree to disagree. I think Olaf is the best written comic relief character in a Disney film in ages. The way the character actually has a purpose and is tied in with the mythology of the story is a example of how to do comic relief properly. It's because of how well a majority of the elements of the film were handled I went and saw the film 8 times in theaters.
Exactly. He plays a major role in Anna and Elsa's relationship so it's not like he was forced in

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom