The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

lazyboy97o

Is anyone else seeing the fully rolled out ad describing FP+ as a test as a forum banner ad from 5 minutes ago, It just boggles the imagination that this is still considered a TEST.

View attachment 45902
Because there are still plenty buying into it being a test and telling people it is still just a test. A great way to not have to deliver on a service you have sold.

stevehousse

Because there are still plenty buying into it being a test and telling people it is still just a test. A great way to not have to deliver on a service you have sold.
I honestly think they still call it a test because of all the problems they still seem to have with it. That way, when guests complain about it, the easiest answer to give people is "yes it is a test so the system is going to have a few bugs."

alissafalco

Perhaps someone can clarify for me, all these names being dropped in this thread, am I supposed to be impressed? Ive heard of Marvel, and know its some sort of comic that was favoured by the class loners of my youff, but some of the other stuff and people. Havent a clue. And surprisingly my life is none the worse for that.
What names are you talking about? John Stamos? Jay Leno?

Figments Friend

But I think that many people feel the way I do - that it's bizarre and weird that Disney is buying up already-fully-developed stuff like Star Wars and Muppets, when the real, original Disney magic was derived from in-company creativity and innovation. Of course, I realize that that Disney is dead - or, as one of the legendary Nine Old Men put it, "Walt's dead. You missed it." That's why the yeti stays broken, and why WDW is trying to play catch-up with Universal by nabbing the rights to a perceived fan-boy fave like "Avatar" (is there any doubt Iger thought that was a "checkmate" move?) instead of raiding its own vault for ideas for new attractions or coming up with completely original ones. I think Iger thinks Disney's not relevant, and he has little faith in its artisans and no patience with risk and development. And that's why he buys stuff. It's paying off in terms of revenue and stock price - things Iger can understand - but that's come at a terrible price in my view.

Agree, particularly the last half of the above.

Perhaps some creatives will take this as a personal challenge to come up with something BETTER....but then of course, the purse-holders will likely shoot it down.

There has to come a point when they let go and give something a chance....and it becomes a major success.
I hope to be around when that day comes.

|Q|

Even though Star Tours has yet to be announced it will be happening sooner rather than later. It was fun to ride the old one, though. It wasn't fun to wait in a hot queue (see my future post on operational issues) for almost half an hour for what should have been a walk-on because they decided to staff enough people to run only two of six sims, however.

Do you have any idea about what kind of plans they have for the rumored Star Wars mini land?

Stevek

I recall another called ThemeParkOne that fits that description too, his popularity was at its peak back in 2011 right before D23 that year. He had quite a following for some time, including some people on this forum even (which is where I heard of him in the first place). But he lost his fanbase after going way overboard and posting a huge list of D23 teases just a month or two before the event happened (even specifics to make his screw up all the more obvious), none of which ended up happening. He rarely tweets anymore, and has certainly ceased his park expansion predictions. He had a real vendetta against Miceage for banning him from their forums and telling people not to listen to his lies, and he spent a lot of time after his fraud was found out just attacking the site any chance he got.

He did get a couple of pieces of information right, but they were things that were apparently already known online before he posted about it (such as Festival of Fantasy, the day parade we already knew was happening) or so vague that they could have been anything (an expansion at AK within 5 years, though that ended up being only half right because Pandora isn't coming until 2017). The specifics that he himself put out as the original source ended up being debunked. Prior to his debunk though, his popularity got rather big around wdwmagic, likely because he was telling people things that they wanted to hear instead of the actual truth. Lots of people were mentioning his name a fair bit in the threads building up to D23, leading me to create a thread about him to ask other known and trusted insiders here whether they wanted to weigh in on the claims TPO was making-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/themeparkone-who-is-it-real-insider-or-fraud.772751/
Yep, ThemeParkOne is the guy. Thanks for reminding me to unfollow him.

Nubs70

On the dumb fanboi nostalgia deal, found out a while ago that a group is attempting to restart Eastern Airlines, which sorta bothers me because my greatest professional regret (here's some real Spirited inside info) is that I was not able to purchase the rights to Pan Am when they were available, but also bothers me because 24-year-old snot-nosed kids who NEVER rode If You Had Wings and NEVER actually sat on an Eastern 727 or L-1011 will likely all want Eastern ephemera (did I just give the crazy @EPCOT Explorer a whole new line of stuff to spend $$$ on?)

It is like the difference between reading about something and actually living it ... and it really grates on me.
Pan Am still exists as a business entity. It is a railroad company in the northeast. It still bears the name and logo.

PhotoDave219

Letting Olympic sites "go to seed" happens all over, including the US. Had a chance to spend some time at the Atlanta 96 Olympics rowing venue a couple of years ago, and it looked pretty shabby and rundown.

Well The Olympic Stadium - currently the Braves' Turner Field - is going away after they move to the other part of the Suburbs. Lots of reasons why, money is the first.

coolbeans14

My BFF daughter was in the London Olympics, they could not have been more impressed with the weeks they spent in London. The hospitals, well not so much. Dad broke his leg badly while leaving the venue. Pretty much wrapped it in gauze, put a split on it, gave him crutches and said to see a Doc stateside in 2 weeks. :eek:

HAHA I'm glad they got to experience the wonders of the NHS, but that was a good day they caught them. Nowadays we're meant to use their website and practically self diagnose unless you're bleeding out. And let's not talk about how long I spent waiting for an appointment about my knees- they lost the file between pulling it from one basket and putting it in another!

Letting Olympic sites "go to seed" happens all over, including the US. Had a chance to spend some time at the Atlanta 96 Olympics rowing venue a couple of years ago, and it looked pretty shabby and rundown.

At the moment we seem good on that front. London's always had a thing for parks, so the Olympic park is probably going to be looked after a bit better than it could have, and I live just up the road from the rowing lake (nothing like groups of Japanese tourists walking past your front window trying to follow the directions to the train station-which actually led them through a car wash, honest) which is owned by Eton College and so should be good for years to come-unless we get flooded and all drown (I'm trying out being optimistic right now).

Genie of the Lamp

Spirited Olympic Musings:

OK, this isn't going to be about the Games in Sochi. I just don't have much of an interest in winter sports to begin with and, this can sound snobby and elitist, but as someone who helped bring the 2008 Games in Beijing to reality, I just don't believe any games will ever compare.

So, Alain Littaye of the Disney and More blog has stated that the Paramount Park for Spain is on again and Micechat picked up his column: http://micechat.com/57201-paramount-park-in-spain-finally-gets-the-green-light/ ... while I'd love to see it, I still have doubts and will until I see the place open.

I have never been a big Jay Leno fan, but he was a class act and went out like one. After switching from Dave to the other Jimmy not all that long ago, I don't see myself switching to Fallon but he's likeable and all (even if he does hide the fact he is quite bald!)

Yeah, the opening ceremony for the Beijing games has (so far) been the best thing I've ever seen on tv (spectacular, spellbinding, epic).

For the Paramount Murcia Park, the lands that have me excited so far are the: Paramount Paseo, the Enchanted Forest, and Plaza Futura. The lands I'm a little skeptical towards are: Rango's West/Oasis Play zone and Adventure City (which based on what I read in that article to be the weakest themed area for the park). The park seems to have a pretty good attractions roster (mostly good to great with a few weak offerings), however I have my doubts with the look of the park and the transitions from one land to the next. So what kind of effect will this park have on DLP?

My go to late night station is NBC and will continue to be with Fallon and Myers now leading the way. I honestly believe that Fallon will bring in higher ratings for the Tonight show (long term). He's very popular amongst the young-mid aged adult crowd and is a very creative person (just watch the videos he's put up on youtube). I wasn't aware that he was bald lol.

*One more thing, gotta feeling Charming will be the major character killed off OUAT when it airs its coming spring season 3 episodes*

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

IMO - testing just means 'evolving' - the product is not final and is still going through iterations. I don't fault the company for saying 'this is not the final product'... but also spinning it to their advantage... most people want to be part of an early adopter crowd when it comes to 'getting something new..'
And Disney has a term for this as well, "plusing." If it was working better, I think we'd be told that changes are "pluses" but since it still seems broke and Disney isn't as concerned with customer service, it is a "test."

CDavid

Is anyone else seeing the fully rolled out ad describing FP+ as a test as a forum banner ad from 5 minutes ago, It just boggles the imagination that this is still considered a TEST.

View attachment 45902

Yep, I've seen it too. You do have to wonder just how long this will remain a "test", and while I realize its beating a dead horse, the part I still find just so remarkable is that being able to reserve a teacup from your couch would be seen as something so desirable to be worth promoting.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And Disney has a term for this as well, "plusing." If it was working better, I think we'd be told that changes are "pluses" but since it still seems broke and Disney isn't as concerned with customer service, it is a "test."

Disagree on the context. Plussing is improving upon existing things. Here, Disney has yet to complete the rollout and being largely software based, so much of it will be open to tweaking for sometime yet.

It would be one thing if people were angry over it because 'they just wanted it done so they could use it' - but here it's just being used as another opportunity to take jabs at the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom